Univ. of North Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yigit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was shocked to find a secondary from UNC in my mailbox today. All of the other med schools sent me secondaries in August! Apparently UNC interviews everyone who gets a secondary. Isn't this a little bit strange? Does the fact that I received a secondary mean that I have a legitimate chance at being accepted? Did anyone else recently receive one of these? I am an out of stater and didn't think my chances were very good. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on getting a secondary. Yes, I would say that the fact that you got one means they are very interested in you. They do screen very intensely before sending secondaries (especially out-of-staters) and I have heard that everyone who sends it back will interview. The thing to worry about is that they are rolling admissions and after they get your secondary they say it takes four to six weeks before getting an interview. Thus, you may not even be interviewed before the middle of March and then it takes them a couple of weeks to make a decision. That is why I personally opted not to return the secondary - they sent it to me in the end of January. However, it is very short and you have nothing to lose (well $60 and interview expenses), so if you are interested, then I say go for it. Maybe the admissions people could tell you how full the class is? Good luck and Congrats again! UNC only takes 20 people out of state, so they must think very highly of you!!
smile.gif