Univ. of Pitt. and Temple- Out-of-Stater wanting to become an in-state resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DonaldR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to both Univ. of Pittsburgh and Temple. I'm from out of state, not in PA. I was under the impression that after a year, I would be eligible for in-state tuition. After speaking to both Univ. of Pitt. and Temple, it's impossible it seems for me ever to become a resident of PA.
Does anyone know any pharmacy students who were from out-of-state and were able later to become PA residents?

Members don't see this ad.

I work for a pharmacy and a large portion of them went to Temple. I can say I know of ONE person who was originally from NJ that got in-state tuition after 2 years. He had to fight tooth and nail for it. I think he was able to prove he was just using his parents address in NJ for his application, even though he had been living in an apartment in PA for a while before he started at Temple. You may (don't quote me, it's just a good guess) have more leverage if say, you live there for more than a year, can demonstrate you plan to stay there, AND can demonstrate employment and PA Tax returns.

Investigate Temple scholarships. They have a really great alumni network. Keep in mind that once you've completed your P1 year, a lot more scholarship/grant doors open up.

I interviewed at two schools in Pennsylvania that they consider you a resident of whatever state you list during the application and FAFSA process. It does not change while you are enrolled.