Univ of St Augustine DPT FLEX: How many FT clinical intern weeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Second*Adulthood*Rocks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I just learned about the DPT FLEX program at Univ of St. Augustine (San Marcos, CA) from these forums. I learn best with kinesthetic hands-on experiences. In my area of NorCal, Samuel Merritt (Oakland, CA) is a great option for someone who learns like me because they include 42 FT weeks of clinical internships and they are coordinated with the didactic learning modules, spaced out over the 3 years instead of all at the end, so you're able to apply what you are learning in real life scenarios.

That being said, it seems like the 4 year DPT FLEX program at St. Augustine offers the flexibility for me to continue with a few volunteer hours of work in hospitals and outpatient clinics (where I currently volunteer) where I could, in essence, create my own hands-on "clinical" learning experiences that coincide with the learning modules. It would not be for credit, or official, but it could aid my overall understanding due to my learning style. The PTs I volunteer with currently are very encouraging and flexible and would most likely be happy to help me apply what I'm learning as best they can.

I'm curious...Anyone know how many FT clinical weeks are actually included in USA's DPT FLEX program? It is over 3 trimesters... but how many actual FT weeks are hands on experience in clinical internships?

I emailed/phoned the admissions team and am signed up for a webinar, so I will most likely find out the answer soon (I will update this forum when I do), but I thought I would ask forum members as well.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The Flex curriculum is exactly the same as their full-time curriculum. According to their site:

Three clinical internships during the second half of the program deliver critical hands-on experience and patient management skills. One internship is 6 weeks long and the other two are each 12 weeks long and require the student’s full-time participation.

Reactions: 1 user
The Flex curriculum is exactly the same as their full-time curriculum. According to their site:

Three clinical internships during the second half of the program deliver critical hands-on experience and patient management skills. One internship is 6 weeks long and the other two are each 12 weeks long and require the student’s full-time participation.

Thanks Careerswitcharoo. I didn't see the length on the site. Missed that somehow. Hmmm. So just 30 FT clinical intern weeks total? When I hear back from the school I will confirm if that's correct. Seems very low.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Careerswitcharoo. I didn't see the length on the site. Missed that somehow. Hmmm. So just 30 FT clinical intern weeks total? When I hear back from the school I will confirm if that's correct. Seems very low.
I think 3 x 12 weeks is standard so yeah I suppose they're a bit shorter. Just gotta compare and contrast programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think 3 x 12 weeks is standard so yeah I suppose they're a bit shorter. Just gotta compare and contrast programs, I suppose.

When I talk to the admissions team I will find out if there is an option to add additional official elective clinical internships. I'm sure the physical therapists I'm volunteering with now would be happy to oblige on this end.

If USA isn't set up for that, I could always continue volunteering and create my own clinical "hands on" learning experiences in the settings where I volunteer. It wouldn't be the same since I'm not being graded/evaluated and I would be limited in actually treating the patient, but I am sure the PTs I volunteer with could create some learning experiences for me that coincide with the didactic learning modules.

It's an interesting idea. On one hand, I like the idea of having an option to learn "hands on" simply for the sake of learning, without being evaluated until official clinicals later.

On the other hand, I really like the option of having official clinicals coincide with the didactic learning modules (like at SMU).

I will update with more info once a I hear back from USA... for anyone else interested.