Univ of Tenn and Med Coll. of Georgia

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by vixen, Jan 14, 2002.

1. vixen

vixen I like members

Do any of you guys know more about these schools? They are NON-aadsas and I was wondering how tough they are to get into. All of the other schools I'm applying to are aadsas, but these two schools have separate application procedures and I'm wondering if I should apply...if they are really difficult or give priority to state res's, then I won't...has anyone applied to these schools or know more about them? Thanks :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. smile_doctor

smile_doctor Senior Member

Simseema17,

I don't know about the Tennessee school, but don't waste your time applying to the Medical College of Georgia as they only accept Georgia residents. Even for state residents it is extremely competitive as the avg entering GPA & science GPA is 3.5. Ughhh... I plan on applying this summer and am just hoping that my DAT scores will make up for a low science GPA. :rolleyes:

4. GTchick

GTchick Senior Member

smile_doctor ar eyou a guy or a girl cause I don't think MCG is real hard to get into if you are a girl. It seemed that most of the girls that applied got in last year.

5. smile_doctor

GT chick,

I'm a man. I think that women have a definite advantage when applying to MCG because, historically, more men than women were applying there. I think that MCG is seeking to be more balanced in the dental professionals that it is producing (in terms of sex), which is a good thing.

Good luck to you! I'm applying this summer for the class of 2003 so maybe I'll see you there.

Smile_doc :cool:

6. GTchick

GTchick Senior Member

Smile_doc

I am applying this summer too. I don't know too much about the school or Augusta though. Do you know if people are happy there and if you are in a good position to specialize from there?

7. smile_doctor

GTchick,

I would think that MCG students have ample opportunity to specialize if they perform extremely well in dental school. MCG offers all of the dental specialties but I do not know how many spots are available in each post-doc program.

As for the area, I'm originally from the Augusta area and it is very different from Atlanta. I much prefer life in Atlanta as here we have more to do, and the mindset here is definitely more open. Personally, I enjoy having friends of all different social and cultural backgrounds. In some ways, I don't find the people there as welcoming to people that are different from themselves. I'll also be applying to other dental schools. I'm interested in MCG because it is a good school with a great price tag for dental education. Augusta is not at the top of my list in terms of places to live.

8. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member

Oh yes Augusta. I was at Fort Gordon for three months in 1967 before moving on to Viet Nam. I remember the Sgt Major telling all of us young troops that the best way to meet girls in Augusta was to go to church on Sunday mornings.

9. YellowDucky

YellowDucky Junior Member

GTchick

No offense, but i think you should change your message at the bottom of your posts. I understand the point you're making, but Voltaire has his facts wrong. In the garden of eden God created the first marriage, not a priest (Genesis 2:23-25). Just a suggestion.

Also, smile_doctor, i don't agree with your statement that it's a good thing that MCG is accepting most girls who apply. Don't get me wrong, i think females can do great dentistry and should have a totally equal change as males, but they shouldn't have an advantage. If they have better grades and all that, then they should get accepted. However, they shouldn't get any special privaleges just for the sake of putting out more female dentists. That's discrimination too.

I'm not here to cause trouble, I just wanted to voice my opinions. Feel free to reply.

10. GTchick

GTchick Senior Member

I like my message. It is a joke between me and a friend but that is neither here nor there.

I don't know if MCG always accepts almost all of the girls that apply or if it was just last year. Maybe a lot of qualified girls applied. It could happen. :D

11. smile_doctor

YellowDucky,

Believe me, as a male, I want to have an equal chance for acceptance as the female applicants. That wasn't my point. Instead, I was simply trying to say that I'm glad that there is an equal opportunity there. I don't believe that every woman who applied last year was admitted based shearly on her sex. I do, however, believe that the group of applicants who applied there, men an women alike, were strong applicants academically. Evidence for this is seen in the average GPA & Science GPA of 3.5 for the entering class.

:eek:
    Smile_doc

12. YellowDucky

YellowDucky Junior Member

That's cool guys. I agree with you.