Univ. of Tenn. technophiles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BSEMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone who goes to UT:

I noticed that in the 3rd year, students are expected to get a PDA. Would it be unwise to get one right before my M1 year, and spend two years getting used to the idea of keeping a baby computer in my pants ;) , at the expense of having a two-year old PDA when the time comes to actually need it?

Also, given the proposed uses for the PDA (patient records, drug reference, etc), would you recommend a PalmOS device or a Windows CE/Mobile device?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

B

Members don't see this ad.

bengland said:
To anyone who goes to UT:

I noticed that in the 3rd year, students are expected to get a PDA. Would it be unwise to get one right before my M1 year, and spend two years getting used to the idea of keeping a baby computer in my pants ;) , at the expense of having a two-year old PDA when the time comes to actually need it?

Also, given the proposed uses for the PDA (patient records, drug reference, etc), would you recommend a PalmOS device or a Windows CE/Mobile device?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

B
Given the way technology evolves, I would wait until Christmas of your 2nd year. That has several advantages: 1. someone is likely to buy for you as a Christmas gift ;-) 2. You will have the latest and greatest technology 3. you will have a semester to get used to carrying a PDA. Also, I would go with something based on Windows Mobile 5.0 as it is more compatible with Outlook, Powerpoint, etc. Finally, don't go for anything like a Treo or PDA/Cell phone combo since it is a faux pas to carry a personal or "unofficial" cell phone in the hospital.

I think I would check with the IT people at your school. It depends on how the servers and patient records and such are set up. Some are only Windows Compatible, some are only Palm compatible. I have have had several doctors tell me that there are far more medical programs designed for Palm than there are for the Windows based OS. So, bottom line is that I think I would check with your IT people, I think they will have a good recommendation for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the good advice...now I just have to figure out what to ask the 'rents for instead!

I got a PDA right before I started at UT. I played games on it for the first two weeks, and I've not touched it since. I plan on buying a new one right before the third year begins.