Univ. of Texas HSC in San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drvlad2004

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what they think about this program? I was just invited to interview at UTHSCSA. I see that Dr. Dumitru is the big dog when it comes to EMG.

Members don't see this ad.

Both Dr. Dumitru and Dr. Walsh are big names in the field of PM&R and between the two of them, they will make sure you get a solid education. I thought UTHSCSA was a great program, but it was in San Antonio. :( I think the program provided solid training in both interventional pain procedures and EMGs and that was what I personally liked about the program. If you don't mind living in Texas, I would definitely check the program out. By the way, are they still paying for the airfare, hotel room, and dinner?

Stinky,

UTHSCSA is still paying for the airfare ($200 reimbursement). hotel, and dinner. Heck, I'm definitely interviewing there. BTW, Spaulding gave me the death blow and rejected me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Stinky Tofu
By the way, are they still paying for the airfare, hotel room, and dinner?

That's an affirmative ST.

That being said, I'm at the program now. Feel free to ask any questions.

Originally posted by drvlad2004
Stinky,

BTW, Spaulding gave me the death blow and rejected me.

I'm sorry to hear that, but you've gotten lots of interviews at great places. Doing an elective at our program helps a lot. I've also noticed a big jump in the quality of students rotating through our program. This past month alone I've met two Harvard students, one from UCLA, one from NYCOM, one from MSUCOM, and one from Brown so I think there's a bigger interest in PM&R this year. Electives have always helped in terms of matching at our program, but I think this year it will play an even bigger role. Good luck at your UTHSCSA interview. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I interviewed at UTSA med School and it will probably be my top choice in the med school match. I am interested in possibly going into PM&R, so this info has been very informative, if I match at UTSA. Thanks everyone for the info.

If you like working in a stressful atmosphere or with patients that are mostly drug addicts...or with a doctor that does not like what he is doing and has been sued by a patient (which the pt won) or when you work with some doctors that neglect their patient and miss diagnose or totally ignore a patient to which that patient came down with cancer and later died..(this one happen recently)...yeah nice place to train...good luck

Originally posted by klgsatx
If you like working in a stressful atmosphere or with patients that are mostly drug addicts...or with a doctor that does not like what he is doing and has been sued by a patient (which the pt won) or when you work with some doctors that neglect their patient and miss diagnose or totally ignore a patient to which that patient came down with cancer and later died..(this one happen recently)...yeah nice place to train...good luck

Explain further. Are you a PM&R resident, medical student, or attending?

Looking from your previous posts, you are a PA or PA student. Your comment seem to be more about the IM service, which is always the dumping ground. It is awfully hard to ignore your patients in physiatry. It is a multidisciplinary field where we have various staff members (MD, DO, PT, OT, ST, etc.) giving continuous care to the patient. Come down to NYC and I'll show you some extremely stressful environments to work as a resident. Also, when did diagnosis become a lady?