Univ of TX Health Center @ San Antonio, and Finch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3aliyah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on UTHSCSA> I was recently told by the Dean of Admissions that my stats were what many applicants were coming in with. I find it hard to believe. My overall GPA is 2.88 (at the moment), science gpa is 3.22, grad gpa is 3.75. With a goodMCAT score (I'm guessing 32)and some unique EC's I might be ok.

Also - what's the scoop on Finch? Rumor has it that it's the "easy" (pardon my terminology) school to apply for for admission because of it's low entering class GPA and MCATs.

Fill me in!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think any school is "easy" at this point. Finch posts their mean GPA at 3.4.

When I was at San Antonio, the dean did mention that the school was known to accept people with lower than average stats. His point was that they really do like to look at the whole picture and that obviously a student can bring more than just good grades to a class...so I would agree with your statement. Focus on having a well rounded application (lots of ECs, or a few very important ones, good letters of rec, etc)...and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
finch's low numbers are due to the fact that a large portion of their entering classes come straight from a masters program that finch offers specifically for students with weak undergrad grades. as a result, the GPAs of these students gets averaged in with everyone who is accepted the traditional way and it pulls the average down. supposedly the average GPA for people accepted the traditional way is 3.6, right in line with the averages at other schools.

there is no such thing as a med school that is 'easy' to be accepted to. i've applied to finch twice and have never been offered an interview.

Sandflea - I just KNEW you were gonna saw that about "no such thing as an easy school" thingy. haha! I'm well aware of it but I had trouble finding a phrase for what I was thinking hehe...

I live here in San Antonio and so I'm not totally crazy about spending more time here in the hot humid climate - BUT I'd take any acceptance given to me!! ;)