Univ. of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you answer the optional question on their application?
"Provide information about yourself and your activities since completion of your AMCAS application."
I submitted my AMCAS application on August 13, took the MCAT on Aug. 18, and then in the first week of Sept. I started college again. What do they want you to write? I don't understand. I can write about the activities that I participate in at college and my job.

The required question asks you to give the population (approximate) of the towns and cities where you have lived. I have moved several times in my life. How can I find out the pop of the locations? Is there a good website where I can just type in the place and year and get the pop? Please let me know where I can look it up. Thanks! (By the way, what is the purpose of this question.)

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't done anything significant since you submitted (ie joined a new activity , new job etc.) then you don't really need to put anything. I didn't because nothing has changed in my life since I submitted AMCAS. As far as the population thing goes, I know it's a pain. I just did searches on the net using the town name and the word population, and the year you're interested in. It is really easy to get current data. But I was even able to get the population ofthe town I lived in when I was born, 23 years ago. If you can get any data from +/- 5 years of the year you care about, it should be close enough. You could also call your town hall etc. they must have records. Lastly, it's not a big deal. They want an estimate, it's not like they're going to check up on it or anything. Just do your best.

I included my activities at work (the projects I was working on), my volunteer activities, and school work in that essay. It was only about ten sentences long.

For city populations check out the census bureau website.
Note that this website is similar to the AMCAS application. Each time you select something it refreshes the entire screen so if you have a slow internet connection it can be quite obnoxious to use.