univ. of wash med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LJoo83

learning...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some reason I have always wanted to live in Seattle and so I thought, hey, I could go to med school in Washington...and so I checked out their website, and after going through their website, I got the strong impression that unless 1)you're a northwest region resident; or 2)you're from an underprivileged home situation; or 3)you're dedicated to helping the undeserving areas, they discourage you from even applying to their med school. So I thought, hmm, then I could attend their undergrad and be a practical shoo-in to their med school, and then I see that out of state tuition is 13,000 plus 7,000 room/board-20,000, and creighton costs less than UW undergrad!
Has anyone who are out of staters applied to UWM and got it? Just curious to know what you did in order to get into their med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by LJoo83
For some reason I have always wanted to live in Seattle and so I thought, hey, I could go to med school in Washington...and so I checked out their website, and after going through their website, I got the strong impression that unless 1)you're a northwest region resident; or 2)you're from an underprivileged home situation; or 3)you're dedicated to helping the undeserving areas, they discourage you from even applying to their med school. So I thought, hmm, then I could attend their undergrad and be a practical shoo-in to their med school, and then I see that out of state tuition is 13,000 plus 7,000 room/board-20,000, and creighton costs less than UW undergrad!
Has anyone who are out of staters applied to UWM and got it? Just curious to know what you did in order to get into their med school.

I go to UW and I think your best bet is to get residency here and show you have an interest in primary care (be able to provide evidence). Many of my classmates are fom out of state and what they did was come here, get residency and then apply. It is doable.

take care

I was raised in Washington, and went to UW undergrad. I got rejected after waitlisted by them, and accepted to other out-of-state and private schools. I am currently at Creighton. Moral of the story, even being a highly qualified candidate with in-state residency isn't going to garauntee your admission there. You could still apply as an out-of-stater. You are more likely to get in if you try MD-PhD, or are an underrepresented minority. Others do get in, and I have heard this described as a complete crap-shoot.