Univ of Washington (Seattle) vs. Univ of Michigan (Ann Arbor)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jondoubleu06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I am having a hard time deciding:

UW

• CHEAP -- I am a Washington resident, so the first year budget is only 40K
  • Consistently #1 in primary care -- This is what I'm interested in, but I also don't want to limit myself in terms of other options and compromise my training
  • Their average board score is barely national average...1-5% of the class doesn't pass step 1 the first time.
  • The facilities at UW suck. They kind of lag in terms of technology
  • I like Seattle a lot, and this is ultimately where I want to end up in my practice
  • There is the opportunity to rotate throughout the WWAMI region, which could present lots of interesting opportunities with the underserved population

UMich

• $$$ -- First year budget is around 67K, and goes up to like 75K during the third year. Scholarships aren't out yet, but they are renown for giving scholarships to a lot of people.
  • They are ranked top 5 in residency placement...amazing...
  • Their average board scores are like 238-240
  • UMich has incorporated a lot of technology into their curriculum, i.e. computer based tests and quizzes, digital histology slides, ability to watch lectures at 2x speed. They have also just purchased the old Pfizer campus, so there is a lot of potential for expansion there.
  • Ann Arbor is nice, but it snows way too much for my liking.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

a good problem you have!

Michigan is my dream school...to which I didn't even apply (I was sure I wouldn't have a chance there). I grew up in MI and spent a few years living in Ann Arbor getting a graduate degree. the medical school is amazing. the hospital is amazing. Ann Arbor is a great college town. I love Ann Arbor. its biggest drawback is that it is in the state of MI

UW...I live in Seattle. I have lived many places. this is the best place I've ever lived, I love it here. that said, I'm leaving for med school. I was not at all impressed with UW (and, admittedly, they didn't like me much either). the facilities do suck. the curriculum doesn't seem very innovative. the students don't seem that interesting. I am moving to a very cool city to attend a school that did impress me tremendously. that said, even though I was way underwhelmed by UW if I could stay in Seattle I would. partly because it would be way less expensive, partly because I love my city so much. that, in my mind anyway, makes up for a lot. but what it would really boil down to is $$$. if I were you, I'd wait to see what kind of $ Michigan offers you and if it is not enough to bring the cost close enough to UW so that it's negligible, I'd go with the less-expensive (though less academically appealing) option. I mean, it's still UW...I really don't understand why it is as well-regarded as it is, but it is. good luck with your decision!

UW

• Consistently #1 in primary care -- This is what I'm interested in, but I also don't want to limit myself in terms of other options and compromise my training
  • Their average board score is barely national average...1-5% of the class doesn't pass step 1 the first time.
  • I like Seattle a lot, and this is ultimately where I want to end up in my practice
  • There is the opportunity to rotate throughout the WWAMI region, which could present lots of interesting opportunities with the underserved population
UMich

• $$$ -- First year budget is around 67K, and goes up to like 75K during the third year. Scholarships aren't out yet, but they are renown for giving scholarships to a lot of people.
  • UMich has incorporated a lot of technology into their curriculum, i.e. computer based tests and quizzes, digital histology slides, ability to watch lectures at 2x speed. They have also just purchased the old Pfizer campus, so there is a lot of potential for expansion there.
What do you guys think?

UW all the way! Haha, I may be biased because that's where I want to go too...

But even though UW is ranked #1 in primary care (for like the last 16 years by the way) it is super strong in lots of other things too. Also, it has been consistently ranked on the top 10 hospital list for at least the last few years, can you say that about umich? (I'm honestly asking, i don't know).

Also, I worked at the UW med center for a year-and-a-half as a phlebotomist and I can tell you its a great hospital! I had so many patients who came from so far just to get treatment at UW med. like from montana, new york, even one person from London! They have amazing transplant teams and do lots of surgery if that's what you want. They're connected to Harborview, which probably gets a lot more trauma than UW. So I think you can find options at UW if you want them...

Like I said I am really biased, but from everything I have seen the UW has amazing resources and lots of opportunity for traveling during rotations which I think is pretty cool, you probably don't get that in a lot of places.

and it's way cheaper! I would go to UW if you are at all considering primary care. Mainly because it is such a strong school, but also you want to go to the cheapest school if you are doing primary care because we all know that those doctors aren't going to make a ton (haha and I'm with you there)...

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering you love the location of UW and it's so cheap...I would say UW. Your choices and motivation will make your board scores...there will always be people who failed in your class, regardless of which university you're attending.

You MIGHT be able to become in-state at U of M after a year. I'm not sure. I would not ask U of M about that, hit up a students forum and see if anyone had success in that department. Southeast MI did not get very much snow this year UNTIL mid-February. We got maybe 5 inches total up until a couple weeks ago, when it started snowing almost nonstop. The amount of snow you can expect varies from year to year.

a good problem you have!

Michigan is my dream school...to which I didn't even apply (I was sure I wouldn't have a chance there). I grew up in MI and spent a few years living in Ann Arbor getting a graduate degree. the medical school is amazing. the hospital is amazing. Ann Arbor is a great college town. I love Ann Arbor. its biggest drawback is that it is in the state of MI

UW...I live in Seattle. I have lived many places. this is the best place I've ever lived, I love it here. that said, I'm leaving for med school. I was not at all impressed with UW (and, admittedly, they didn't like me much either). the facilities do suck. the curriculum doesn't seem very innovative. the students don't seem that interesting. I am moving to a very cool city to attend a school that did impress me tremendously. that said, even though I was way underwhelmed by UW if I could stay in Seattle I would. partly because it would be way less expensive, partly because I love my city so much. that, in my mind anyway, makes up for a lot. but what it would really boil down to is $$$. if I were you, I'd wait to see what kind of $ Michigan offers you and if it is not enough to bring the cost close enough to UW so that it's negligible, I'd go with the less-expensive (though less academically appealing) option. I mean, it's still UW...I really don't understand why it is as well-regarded as it is, but it is. good luck with your decision!

What's odd is that there was a thread in pre-allo asking if anyone had been turned off by their top choice after interviewing...a LOT of people chimed in saying that they hated UW.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=705443

It seems to be a common theme.

Ann Arbor is truly THE BEST small city in the entire country...but winter does suck.

UW

UMich

What do you guys think?
I have the same decision but am OOS at both. Although at UW you get in-state tuition after 1 year, that was a pleasant surprise. Can any current med students at either UM or UW speak to strengths/weaknesses? My particular question is, I like UW (especially Seattle) somewhat better overall. I know this is really a personal decision, but how much $$$ should it take to make a person choose their #2 school/location? Could any residents or attendings speak to this? I have kids so I would love to settle down and try for a residency spot at the med school I attend, so location might matter a bit more to me than most. But then again so does the debt. :confused:

Last edited:
Oh, I guess I should put up pros of each school as I saw them:

UW
-People were more my age (read "old") and more west coast casual, just a better fit overall
-Location has a lot more to offer (food, culture, recreation) and better climate, and closer to family
-Exceptional clinical exposure, especially out in WWAMI-land, M4s reportedly treated as interns
-Ranking (although both are "top-tier" schools)
-Cheaper Tuition (in-state tuition after first year)
-Very few OOS spots
-Emphasis on primary care and the underserved

UM
-More innovative and flexible curriculum
-Better facilities
-Happier (and younger) students
-Cheaper cost of living
-More generous financial aid
-Stronger board scores
-Stronger admissions dept

I'm sure I'm missing something...

Any more input on this one??? No Michigan or UW med students out there?

U-Dubz

Both schools are so good, you can end up in Seattle regardless, but you could make better connections at Washington. The opportunity to rotate through the WWAMI sounds pretty awesome, and I seriously doubt you'll be limited to primary care.

Michigan is awesome as well, but UW is tons cheaper and the schools are both soooo good that it's almost equal.

Plus you make the Step 1 score, not the school. :thumbup:

I'm going to have to vote for Michigan.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of rankings because they're so technical and tell you nothing about how you fit in at a given school. It sounds like you liked UM more than UW, and it's that excitement and passion that's going to get you through the next four years. You need to be in an environment that makes you want to work harder.

In-state is a lot cheaper, but I think the training and experience you get from a medical school surpasses the weight of its costs. In the end, you'll be able to pay off your loans.

Also, it sounds like you're from Wash and plan to practice there. It might be good to spend a few years away from there just to get a better feel for other parts of the country.

Lastly, Sanjay Gupta went to U of Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.