===Univ. of Washington SOM c/o 2011===

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!!! I look forward to meeting you...and the wife and kids (I love kids so if you ever need a babysitter)

Thanks! I'm excited to meet everyone at orientation. Anyone applying for the premat program? I am, but I'm undecided whether I should go through with it or not. I've heard that it eases up fall quarter a bit, but I've also hear that histo isn't a very time intensive and demanding course.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to the premat program and hope that I get to do it this summer. I would really like to free up my schedule in the fall.

It's Seattle for me.:clap: :banana:

I wonder if I'll be the oldest student in our class.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's Seattle for me.:clap: :banana:

I wonder if I'll be the oldest student in our class.

It seems like everyone else on this thread besides us is in their early twenties, but I am sure that there are others in their 30s.

All of you on the message board are staying in Seattle, I'm happy for you! Its Pullman for me, though. And I have to be honest when I say I'm really struggling in being exciting about it. I know its a good opportunity education-wise to have small classes, etc. And I'm an eastern WA girl, really. But at the same time, my significant other (whom I love dearly and am really used to having around) sadly has a job here in Seattle that he can't leave. Long distance relationships and going to school without him to come home to like I'm used to...really scares me. Nevermind the fact that I already had living plans for Seattle, and now I need to scramble and go find out SOMETHING about Pullman because I know nothing about the area/apartments/etc.

Must keep telling myself it will all work out for the best, and that this is a good thing. Right. Right? Haha. Anyone else in Pullman next year?

Have you thought about writing an appeal letter?? Stating perhaps that you have close ties to the community here or that you hope to continue any volunteer service in the Seattle area, etc. Well, that was sort of the advice given to me. Also, I know of someone who was WWAMI'ed to Pullman last year and she wrote an appeal pointing out that she was married and he had a job in Seattle and they granted her wish to stay in Seattle. That doesn't exactly fit your situation, I know, but I thought you might like to know.

oh, and I got picked for Seattle. Yay. (More like, phew.)

Thanks or the advice. I thought about writing an appeal, but I wasn't sure if "I have a boyfriend (albeit a very serious soon to be fiance) in Seattle that I can't bear leaving" was a good enough reason. I guess it doesn't hurt to try, I just don't want to get my hopes up.

I applied to the premat program and hope that I get to do it this summer. I would really like to free up my schedule in the fall.

I wonder if we can get a current first year who did premat to write about his/her experience with it. I like the idea of taking histo early to free up time during fall, but apparently, and I just found this out, the schedule is daily 9-12 histo, then 1-5 workshops on adjusting to med school, etc., that are required. I don't know if I can commit 40 hours/week class time just for one course, albeit only for five weeks, whereas during the year it is not that demanding of a course schedule-wise (at least so it seems). I need to work this summer to build up a little nest egg for fall/winter, and I don't think that I can devote so much time just for one course.

Anyone who has been through the program, comments?

Hi all,

I'm a current first year (two more weeks to go until summer!) and I attended the Pre-Mat program. I really liked it. It was an excellent way to transition into med school. In Histo, like a lot of other classes in medical school, it isn't that the content is hard, it is the volume of knowledge you are held accountable for that gets ya. For me, Histo was a great prep for what was going to be expected of me. Also, you get to have a small class and really get to know your classmates (harder when the year starts since there are so many of us). Then when you start Anatomy in the Fall, they pair you up with someone from Pre-Mat and it is nice to already have a study buddy (you are put into groups of four for Anatomy lab). The extra stuff (workshops) were helpful but sometimes annoying I'll admit. But the cool part is that you get to meet a lot of the profs and staff and get a lot of free food. I totally felt more comfortable and prepared to start in the Fall than some of my classmates. Overall, I would highly recommend it, especially if you're freaked out about med school or have been away from school for a while. :thumbup:

All of you on the message board are staying in Seattle

Don't despair dream.big as I found out I'll be heading to Pullman as well. Honestly I was fairly close to volunteering anyways, but I have no clue what the area was like and felt like I could not make a truly informed decision. Still, there is a lot of doubt now about how it will go, but nothing I can do now.

I feel your pain with your relationship. It is going to be more difficult for my SO to move with me to Pullman. I'm not in Seattle now, but it would be more convenient for what she needs to do. I definitely want her to come with me for the same reasons. It sure is nice to have that infinite support at home.

But hey there is only going to be 38 of us stuck in the middle of nowhere, spending all day, every day together. How can we not become one big supportive family?? :)

Hi all,

I'm a current first year (two more weeks to go until summer!) and I attended the Pre-Mat program. I really liked it. It was an excellent way to transition into med school. In Histo, like a lot of other classes in medical school, it isn't that the content is hard, it is the volume of knowledge you are held accountable for that gets ya. For me, Histo was a great prep for what was going to be expected of me. Also, you get to have a small class and really get to know your classmates (harder when the year starts since there are so many of us). Then when you start Anatomy in the Fall, they pair you up with someone from Pre-Mat and it is nice to already have a study buddy (you are put into groups of four for Anatomy lab). The extra stuff (workshops) were helpful but sometimes annoying I'll admit. But the cool part is that you get to meet a lot of the profs and staff and get a lot of free food. I totally felt more comfortable and prepared to start in the Fall than some of my classmates. Overall, I would highly recommend it, especially if you're freaked out about med school or have been away from school for a while. :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply. Do you think that it really lightened up your load fall quarter, or was it more beneficial as a way to get adjusted to the rigors of med school? I would honestly just like to take the class and occasionally attend the afternoon presentations, but it seems like those are mandatory. I just don't know if I can justify devoting so much time to a single course, considering that during the fall it is not that significant a chuck of our schedule. Maybe I'll have to rethink taking the program after all (I've been shifting back and forth about it).

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all the insight. It really sounds like a great opportunity. Now I just have to wait to see if I get to attend the premat program.

Let me tell you, after Anatomy is done, the rest of the quarter is cake by comparison. Personally, I enjoyed having to take only ONE science class and was able to do a great Ethics selective and a preceptorship at Children's Hospital. You will find that it is always better when you don't have to take a class so that you can get all the other required things (selectives and preceptorships) out of the way. The second half of Fall quarter is lighter on purpose. Anatomy will hurt, and Winter quarter you have 7 classes (4 hard sciences) to worry about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me tell you, after Anatomy is done, the rest of the quarter is cake by comparison. Personally, I enjoyed having to take only ONE science class and was able to do a great Ethics selective and a preceptorship at Children's Hospital. You will find that it is always better when you don't have to take a class so that you can get all the other required things (selectives and preceptorships) out of the way. The second half of Fall quarter is lighter on purpose. Anatomy will hurt, and Winter quarter you have 7 classes (4 hard sciences) to worry about.

Good points. I had planned on using the extra time to do preceptorships.

I'll have to think about it some more, but I think that I am leaning toward just enjoying my last summer before school starts with my kids. Maybe I can do a preceptorship before school begins?

You know I just realized that I had not made a post on this thread before my first above and I did not even say hi to all my future classmates! Very rude of me. (I got a little too excited after being on the ranked waitlist thread for so long... or at least what seemed like forever )

So hello everyone!

Good points. I had planned on using the extra time to do preceptorships.

I'll have to think about it some more, but I think that I am leaning toward just enjoying my last summer before school starts with my kids. Maybe I can do a preceptorship before school begins?

You have to wait until Fall to do preceptorships (that's when you legally come under the school's mal practice insurance).

I got married and a month later started Pre-mat. I felt like I had plenty of time to spend with my husband and still study. I may be a little biased though since I've gotten used to having no free time at all. Pre mat is also relatively laid back and not high stress at all. I think the program is great and all but you're right, family is very important.

Hey all, just discovered the class threads! I'm going to be stuck in Pullman (informed in the Feb lottery) unfortunately. Just wanted to give anyone attempting to appeal a heads up, I appealed my assignment (with some really good reasons I thought! Fiance with job in Seattle and can't move, already living in Seattle for going on 4 years, job, family issues, medical research job at the UW already, etc etc) and my appeal was rejected. Apparently barely anyone has volunteered for Pullman this year so it's making switching really hard. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that all of a sudden a whole bunch of people assigned to Seattle will have a craving for wheatfields and I'll get to stay in Seattle, but it's rather doubtful! So let's make the best of Pullman that we can (doesn't help that I'm graduating a husky and have been conditioned to hate the cougs....and now I'm supposed to sort of be one for a year? ick! haha). I won't get a chance to start looking for a place over there for a month or so, and I'm bringing kitties with me, so I hope there are still good/cheap apts available! Any suggestions?

What is everyone planning on doing for the computer requirement?

Current students: What do your guys/gals do for taking notes? Do you take notes on printed handouts or take a computer to class and type into your notes during lecture? I can't see myself doing the latter, but I also don't want to have to bring 100+ pages of handouts/slides etc. to class each day. What are your styles?

DancerDoc, your situation sounds (almost creepily) like mine! Haha, I could have been reading my own post. So I suppose I shouldn't even attempt an appeal then it sounds like. What kind of job does your fiance have? And you're at UW right now? I'm sure we've probably been in classes together then, so I'm curious if I know you!

Really? Well then we can be LDR griping buddies at the ridiculous system of sending random students off to the other side of the state, haha. Everyone that I explain why I'm going to Pullman to is like- what? why do they send you *there*? Anyhow, he has a great job at one of the hospitals in Seattle and is racking up experience for grad school when he'll go to get his Ph.D. So he really can't move to Pullman with me. I'm rather quite depressed about the whole thing, but am attempting to look on the good side (smaller classes, etc etc) but 10 months seems too long! And to have to trek all my stuff over the mountains only to come back to Seattle in a year will a huge pain. Oh well...I guess we'll do it, right?

I am thinking of getting a macbook

Great choice if you go for it.

I bought a Macbook Pro several months ago and I could not be more happy with it. For the applications I run the extra horsepower is great. The only thing is that for med school I almost wish it was a Macbook because I don't need to be lugging around what is a desktop replacement to class just to take notes. Plus, it's a little larger than the MBs (15" vs. 13") and that makes quite a difference.

I am thinking of getting a macbook

I had never even thought about bringing a computer to class. Is is really required? I can't really see why I'd be using one. Maybe a tablet PC would work.

I had never even thought about bringing a computer to class. Is is really required? I can't really see why I'd be using one. Maybe a tablet PC would work.

Some people like to annotate their powerpoints on their laptops. I personally don't want to lug around numerous binders full of notes.

Some people like to annotate their powerpoints on their laptops. I personally don't want to lug around numerous binders full of notes.

I guess that makes sense, but won't you be forced to do all of your studying from your computer, then? If you are going to print out the notes for studying later, why not just print them out at first and write notes in the margins (that is what I'll be doing, at least)? Is there any benefit to bringing a computer to school other than to take notes on it? I like to draw arrows etc. and so I have never even thought about taking notes directly into a computer. Do most students do that?

I guess that makes sense, but won't you be forced to do all of your studying from your computer, then? If you are going to print out the notes for studying later, why not just print them out at first and write notes in the margins (that is what I'll be doing, at least)? Is there any benefit to bringing a computer to school other than to take notes on it? I like to draw arrows etc. and so I have never even thought about taking notes directly into a computer. Do most students do that?

I used a computer for my powerpoints at my last school and it worked out well. I guess it just depends on what works for you.

This has been recommended to me by numerous people. You can write directly on the screen with a stylus, and they are smaller and more portable.

One thing I'm also wondering about is the PDA requirement. It sounds like it is at our discretion during the first two years, but does anybody have any idea when most have purchased them in the past?

This has been recommended to me by numerous people. You can write directly on the screen with a stylus, and they are smaller and more portable.

Is a tablet PC just like a tiny laptop that you can write onto the screen of? Can you access the internet, print stuff, etc. That would be pretty sweet. Might be hard to write on, though, being so small.

Edit: I just looked up tablet PCs. They look pretty cool. Do you think that they would survive being lugged around on a bicycle, though? Maybe I'd better just stick to what I'm used to.

Is a tablet PC just like a tiny laptop that you can write onto the screen of? Can you access the internet, print stuff, etc. That would be pretty sweet. Might be hard to write on, though, being so small.

There are a couple of types from what I have seen. Some are literally just a tablet and are small, but still larger than a PDA (12" range). Others are otherwise ordinary laptops that have a writable screen. However, these can have the screen rotate around and fold down on top of the keyboard. That way they can fit in your lap or on the desk more like a notebook.

All in all they are very cool. Oh, and you can get internet access, run windows and OS X (a company modifies Apple MBs to become a tablet), and do basically everything that an ordinary laptop can. But they tend to be more expensive.

edit: looks like you beat me to your question RisingSun! But I have no idea how they actually hold up.

edit: looks like you beat me to your question RisingSun!

Sorry, I should have done my homework first! The way you describe them they sound really cool, but I can't see how it would make me more efficient at note taking or studying. I'm gonna have to organize myself because it looks like I'll have stacks of lecture printouts and slides.

Sorry, I should have done my homework first! The way you describe them they sound really cool, but I can't see how it would make me more efficient at note taking or studying. I'm gonna have to organize myself because it looks like I'll have stacks of lecture printouts and slides.

And honestly even though I have a computer and will bring it to study with, I like to take my notes on paper and then transfer them later if needed. I do like having wireless access for quick reference though, but I'm pretty bad at making notations during lecture on my computer.

And honestly even though I have a computer and will bring it to study with, I like to take my notes on paper and then transfer them later if needed. I do like having wireless access for quick reference though, but I'm pretty bad at making notations during lecture on my computer.

You guys sound much more tech-savvy than me. I don't even have a cell phone!:laugh:

DancerDoc,
Yea, my guy has a really great job at a risk consulting company here in Seattle, and there is definitely not anything in his business-y field for him to do in Pullman. Thats for sure. We should meet up for coffee or something sometime, I'm curious if you're anyone I'd recognize from classes, etc. We should try to see if there is anyone else here in Seattle thats being shipped off to Pullman, and we could have a get-together!

Ok, everyone has me pretty sold on the idea of a tablet PC. I'm really like to write arrows and all kinds of things on my notes, but I don't like to have milliona and millions of papers and notes to lug around. So I guess a tablet would be useful. Do any of you own one already? Do you like it? And if so, what kind is it? I wouldn't even know what KIND I want.

Hello all! It is very exciting to be a part of this group of people. I have some experience with using tablets and laptops in general.

If you are pretty certain on getting a tablet, one of the tablet pcs with good reviews is Lenovo X60t which is also available at costco http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11212413. Some people/reviewes prefer Fujitsu lifebook but Lenovo is a better brand and might be easier to find help/accessories later on.

Although the idea of tablet is appealing, I found it slower to write on the tablet than type and rarely used the tablet features. Switching between those interfaces breaks your speed when you are in the middle of taking notes. In about two months, I stopped using the tablet for taking notes altogether and exclusively used the keyboard.

However, they felt great when lying on your bed and reading an ebook, watching a movie or surfing the web. But for about twice the cost of a laptop, this coolness may or may not be worth it!

Hi all (especially the Pullman bound folks)...

Long time since I've posted on this site, and first time over here. Just thought I'd jump in and introduce myself to this friendly group. I was one of the "winners" of the lottery back in February and am headed out to the Palouse as well.

For those headed out there with SO's... tally up another. My fiancee wasn't too thrilled about it either at first. At least we're not settled in Seattle (we're heading back west from the east coast), though moving twice in a year, and the job hunting will definitely be more complicated. Though after spending some time comparing WSU to the UW for the 1st year there is actually some stuff that works out better for us.

We sent in an appeal letter as well. No such luck either. Even though they didn't have a 2nd look we headed out there last month to take a second look before we made our final decision. So I might be of some help for those who have never been to Pullman - though I'm no expert. We've been busy apartment hunting the past few weeks, there seems to be a lot of options (though much less when you take out those that allow pets - we've got a puppy - and remove the run down crazy undergrad ones ).

OH Yeah - as for a computer. I just got a Macbook Pro - maybe a bit overkill, but with it running bootcamp I absolutely love it . (Though I am a computer engineer and need my technology).

Welcome on board, Mickey D.

Phil-

So the touch-screen function doesn't work when the tablet is open to give access to the keyboard? I had imagined that one could reach up to the screen and draw in arrows and circles and little diagrams without folding it back into tablet form.

You definitely DO NOT need a PDA your first two years so don't buy one (unless you find a good deal or whatever). You do, however, need a laptop (you have a quiz the first day of Anatomy and you will be taking it on your laptop in class so be ready). A lot of people take notes on their computer. For me, it really depends on the class. If I've got the printed slides or a lecture syllabus, I take notes on that instead because I learn by writing things down. For some classes, like anatomy, you will go though 100 slides easy each lecture and it is hard to keep up if you don't have a computer in front of you (at least in my experience). A few people have the tablets and those look cool too but studying off a computer screen makes my eyes tired, especially since there are so many slides to go through for each exam. I have a PDA that I tried to use it in class (instead of my computer) and the problem with that is that the screen is too small and you just can't read it or make notes very well. Hope this helps!

You definitely DO NOT need a PDA your first two years so don't buy one (unless you find a good deal or whatever). You do, however, need a laptop (you have a quiz the first day of Anatomy and you will be taking it on your laptop in class so be ready). A lot of people take notes on their computer. For me, it really depends on the class. If I've got the printed slides or a lecture syllabus, I take notes on that instead because I learn by writing things down. For some classes, like anatomy, you will go though 100 slides easy each lecture and it is hard to keep up if you don't have a computer in front of you (at least in my experience). A few people have the tablets and those look cool too but studying off a computer screen makes my eyes tired, especially since there are so many slides to go through for each exam. I have a PDA that I tried to use it in class (instead of my computer) and the problem with that is that the screen is too small and you just can't read it or make notes very well. Hope this helps!

I can definitely see how having a computer would help you get through 100+ slides per lecture. I guess I'll have to get a laptop, then, if its required for taking tests, etc. I'm not sure how I feel about studying from a computer, though. I think that I'll need a hardcopy of material for studying to be productive (I'd probably just surf the web if I tried to study from computer).

Unrelated question, but do students have lockers, etc. other than those tiny cubbies in the student lounges? If so, how large are they?

I can definitely see how having a computer would help you get through 100+ slides per lecture. I guess I'll have to get a laptop, then, if its required for taking tests, etc. I'm not sure how I feel about studying from a computer, though. I think that I'll need a hardcopy of material for studying to be productive (I'd probably just surf the web if I tried to study from computer).

Unrelated question, but do students have lockers, etc. other than those tiny cubbies in the student lounges? If so, how large are they?

A lot of people I know do just print out the power points for lectures and work off of them, so you wouldn't be alone in doing that. Personally I prefer to not have all the extra paper--I lug enough crap around as it is.

A comment tablets: I got one and kinda wish I hadn't because I don't think it was worth the extra money for me, but that is simply because I basically never go to class. It doesn't do much good to be able to take notes on a computer if you never are taking notes ;).

As far as lockers go, you get two. One is a coat locker (w/ an overhead compartment) that I only used when I was commuting through the rain on my bike, and the other is a book locker that can hold a fair amount of stuff.

A lot of people I know do just print out the power points for lectures and work off of them, so you wouldn't be alone in doing that. Personally I prefer to not have all the extra paper--I lug enough crap around as it is.

A comment tablets: I got one and kinda wish I hadn't because I don't think it was worth the extra money for me, but that is simply because I basically never go to class. It doesn't do much good to be able to take notes on a computer if you never are taking notes ;).

As far as lockers go, you get two. One is a coat locker (w/ an overhead compartment) that I only used when I was commuting through the rain on my bike, and the other is a book locker that can hold a fair amount of stuff.

BG,

Thanks for the info on lockers. I plan on cycling to class, too, and wondered what I would have to do with my raincoat, helmet etc. during class.

How do you manage to not go to class? I'd be nervous that I'm missing something, and because UW doesn't have their lectures taped there is no way to really know. Do you just study from posted class notes/slides and textbooks? I'd love to be able to cut class every now and then and not feel guilty about it, but I'll probably go all the time at first and see how I feel about lecture. When did you stop not going to lecture? Any classes that are easier/harder to not attend?

Welcome on board, Mickey D.

Phil-

So the touch-screen function doesn't work when the tablet is open to give access to the keyboard? I had imagined that one could reach up to the screen and draw in arrows and circles and little diagrams without folding it back into tablet form.

The touch screen function does work with keyboard open but it is not convenient as you have to pick up the stylus and be very careful not to press the screen too hard to stop it from falling behind or to press keys while trying to write with keyboard open. Instead, I just use mouse to draw simple figures. You can try drawing with mouse in Onenote on any desktop and might find it sufficient instead of buying a tablet for that feature. To be frank, the first time I heard of tablets, I just had to try it and no reasons could keep me away. So, I can understand how you feel :). This new computer is something we would use for four years so it is important that you like it and if tablet is the choice, then by all means go for it.

A neat feature of Office Onenote is that it allows multiple people to collaborate together in note-taking. If one of the member has a tablet, they can be the "painter" and the others can edit text! Everyone participating see the edits from everyone else at the same time. The voice feature can be turned on as well to record professor's voice (although it does't get synced as well with the text). At the end of it, we could upload these notes on a server for others to use. It would be a simple start on building our own note taking service!

That does sound cool. I'll stick with my laptop. I have Microsoft Office 2003; does that come with Onenote? I never use anything but Word and Powerpoint. If not, is it a relatively inexpensive program? I suppose I could just go find all of this out myself instead of lazily asking you.

The touch screen function does work with keyboard open but it is not convenient as you have to pick up the stylus and be very careful not to press the screen too hard to stop it from falling behind or to press keys while trying to write with keyboard open. Instead, I just use mouse to draw simple figures. You can try drawing with mouse in Onenote on any desktop and might find it sufficient instead of buying a tablet for that feature. To be frank, the first time I heard of tablets, I just had to try it and no reasons could keep me away. So, I can understand how you feel :). This new computer is something we would use for four years so it is important that you like it and if tablet is the choice, then by all means go for it.

A neat feature of Office Onenote is that it allows multiple people to collaborate together in note-taking. If one of the member has a tablet, they can be the "painter" and the others can edit text! Everyone participating see the edits from everyone else at the same time. The voice feature can be turned on as well to record professor's voice (although it does't get synced as well with the text). At the end of it, we could upload these notes on a server for others to use. It would be a simple start on building our own note taking service!

BG,

Thanks for the info on lockers. I plan on cycling to class, too, and wondered what I would have to do with my raincoat, helmet etc. during class.

How do you manage to not go to class? I'd be nervous that I'm missing something, and because UW doesn't have their lectures taped there is no way to really know. Do you just study from posted class notes/slides and textbooks? I'd love to be able to cut class every now and then and not feel guilty about it, but I'll probably go all the time at first and see how I feel about lecture. When did you stop not going to lecture? Any classes that are easier/harder to not attend?

All of the power point presentations for the lectures are posted online. For me, if there actually was anything said in addition to what was on the slides, I usually just don't hear it anyhow, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on a whole lot most of the time.

As far as the time scale, I went to all of the anatomy lectures during that block, and skipping pretty regularly during the second block of autumn quarter. Winter quarter and on is when I just generally quit going to all of the lectures (except for intro to clinical medicine, small groups, etc).

I think people just need to ask themselves if they think they would learn more from sitting in a lecture for an hour, or spending an hour studying. For me it's a clear win to study over sitting in lecture, others it might not be.

That does sound cool. I'll stick with my laptop. I have Microsoft Office 2003; does that come with Onenote? I never use anything but Word and Powerpoint. If not, is it a relatively inexpensive program? I suppose I could just go find all of this out myself instead of lazily asking you.

OneNote is a part of Office professional and you might already have it. If not, I think it should be fairly cheap for students.

Edit: Apparently it was sold as a separate product from office 2003 professional. It is available however for $20 at http://www.mysoftwareconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=33. It might be cheaper at other places because office 2007 is out.

What resources did you first years use to study from (like Netter's flashcards, etc.)? Are there any classes that you felt extra study materials were necessary?

What resources did you first years use to study from (like Netter's flashcards, etc.)? Are there any classes that you felt extra study materials were necessary?

This is what I found from last years class thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiringdoctor
PLease give us some advices on textbooks. I heard from most medical students from other schools that M1 students shouldn't buy every required textbook, is that true for UWSOM? can you recommend some important textbook or review books should we buy for this coming year?
for gross anatomy, what atlas or textbook is most useful for you?

Originally Posted by MorningGlory
This is true. For UW (& WWAMI students since you guys use the same books).. you don't need to buy every required textbook. For some classes, lecture slides are enough. Other classes, a syllabus is provided which you can either purchase or read online if available.

As far as anatomy goes, this year we had one textbook "Gray's Anatomy for Students" and you have a choice of Netter's or Grant's atlases to buy. If you are a book kind of person, Gray's was nice to give a detailed explanation of things, but probably not absolutely necessary if you're really trying to save money. I'd say that one is a personal choice. As for which atlas is better, I prefer Netter's myself (plus the flash cards), but other people prefer Grant's. I would suggest looking at both before you decide which one you'd like to buy. Also, there is a required Langman's embryology.. I personally did not like it. It's difficult to read, but it does have everything you need I guess. The embryology portion of the class was actually a little more difficult in my opinion, so you probably should get some sort of book to help.

Extra study stuff:
I can give you guys a list of other review books and such that I found helpful, but please don't take these as necessary. Just throwing stuff out there. :)

Fall quarter
High Yield Embryology helped organize and simplify things quite nicely.

Winter
BRS Pathology & BRS Physiology
(Some other people recommend baby robbins)

Spring
Micro cards by Lippincott
Micro made ridiculously simple

Anyway, your 2nd year big docs will also let you know what they thought worked for them.
Current UW students...any other opinions? Thanks