===Univ. of Washington SOM c/o 2011===

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks VaulterGirl. I hope some current First/Second years chime in, too.

Totally unrelated, but today I found out that I have been classified as a non-resident by the university for tuition purposes, even though the med school has me as a resident. Why I am a non-resident, I have no clue. Hopefully the residency office will clear this up once they get to my Residency Questionnaire.

Members don't see this ad.

Totally unrelated, but today I found out that I have been classified as a non-resident by the university for tuition purposes, even though the med school has me as a resident. Why I am a non-resident, I have no clue. Hopefully the residency office will clear this up once they get to my Residency Questionnaire.

This happened to me too. I had to send a proof of residency to the residency classification office. I left WA for a year to attend school so I just had to prove that I still maintained ties to WA. I would call the residency classification office to see what is going on.

This happened to me too. I had to send a proof of residency to the residency classification office. I left WA for a year to attend school so I just had to prove that I still maintained ties to WA. I would call the residency classification office to see what is going on.

The classification office said that it will be another four weeks before they get to my application, so I guess I am in limbo until then. I attended undergraduate at Indiana University (but graduated in 1999), and then lived in overseas for the next 5 years, so maybe they just wanted to make sure I'm really a WA resident.

Hope it turns out well. I would be really upset if I had to pay OOS tuition for 4 years at my state school.

Members don't see this ad :)
The classification office said that it will be another four weeks before they get to my application, so I guess I am in limbo until then. I attended undergraduate at Indiana University (but graduated in 1999), and then lived in overseas for the next 5 years, so maybe they just wanted to make sure I'm really a WA resident.

Hope it turns out well. I would be really upset if I had to pay OOS tuition for 4 years at my state school.

I turned my application in 4 weeks ago and I don't think they have even gotten to it yet.

Yeah, I was told a minimum of six weeks from receipt of application. Apparently there is a way for professional students in our situations to have the OOS fees waived. I was told to become very good friends with the financial aid office at UW.

Yeah, I was told a minimum of six weeks from receipt of application. Apparently there is a way for professional students in our situations to have the OOS fees waived. I was told to become very good friends with the financial aid office at UW.

Good to know that we have another option. I guess we should become best friends with Diane :biglove:

VaulterGirl and RisingSun, did you both already have to send in a questionaire during the application process? I'm in a similar situation to both of you (down in California right now, but a WA resident before school) and I thought I had already taken care of all that with the Resience Classification Office. In the confirmation email it said "classified as a WA resident for tuition purposes effective Autumn 2007." Basically I remember claiming myself as a dependent and turning in copies of my parents tax returns proving this... maybe this is what you two are doing now and somehow I just had to do it earlier? Or maybe I will be finding out the same news when I check my mailbox today.

VaulterGirl and RisingSun, did you both already have to send in a questionaire during the application process? I'm in a similar situation to both of you (down in California right now, but a WA resident before school) and I thought I had already taken care of all that with the Resience Classification Office. In the confirmation email it said "classified as a WA resident for tuition purposes effective Autumn 2007." Basically I remember claiming myself as a dependent and turning in copies of my parents tax returns proving this... maybe this is what you two are doing now and somehow I just had to do it earlier? Or maybe I will be finding out the same news when I check my mailbox today.

I think you should be fine. I got this notice (email) right after I was accepted (mid March). Right after I got it, I sent in my tax forms, proof of employment, etc.

I think you should be fine. I got this notice (email) right after I was accepted (mid March). Right after I got it, I sent in my tax forms, proof of employment, etc.

Yeah that sounds like the same thing I had to do. Somehow I showed up on their OOS radar a little earlier...must be the Californian tan :)

Where in Cali?

Santa Barbara. I did my undergrad at UCSB and have been doing research/additional classes since last June. Absolutely beautiful area and I have enjoyed experiencing SoCal, but it sure made me miss the good ol' Pacific Northwest! It will be great to get back to a place that actually has seasons, among other things

Santa Barbara. I did my undergrad at UCSB and have been doing research/additional classes since last June. Absolutely beautiful area and I have enjoyed experiencing SoCal, but it sure made me miss the good ol' Pacific Northwest! It will be great to get back to a place that actually has seasons, among other things

I am from so cal. I absolutely love Santa Barbara and use to go there all the time as a kid. I have a few friends that went to UCSB...great place.

I am from so cal. I absolutely love Santa Barbara and use to go there all the time as a kid. I have a few friends that went to UCSB...great place.

Very cool. When did you end up leaving?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would highly recommend the Netter Cards, they're awesome. I also used a photographic atlas (cut down on time I had to go back to study in the lab). Some people have used the First Aid Step 1 board review book since it is a nice outline for all the first/second year classes.

There is no dress code for class. Everyone dressed nice the first day or two and then we all gave up. There is only a dress code for when you have to go interview patients and on your preceptorship. Guys wear nice slacks, dress shirt and tie, and girls can wear a nice dress/skirt/slacks and dress shirt.

Dr.Neva and any other first years: what has been your hardest class this year, and why? Are there any classes that were less (or more) demanding than you had anticipated going into first year?

Ok, so the Alaska WWAMI people already set up an E07 facebook group. I am going to set one up for UWSOM E07's in general, for meeting everyone and housing purposes. If you have facebook and are interested, come on over and join!

Edit: Not sure if it should be set up just in the Washington network or global, do you people have washington.edu addresses yet? Let me know!

Editx2: Of course if you know other people that won't get on SDN and read this, let them know about the group also. Invite all the new E07's you know.

Ok, so the Alaska WWAMI people already set up an E07 facebook group. I am going to set one up for UWSOM E07's in general, for meeting everyone and housing purposes. If you have facebook and are interested, come on over and join!

Edit: Not sure if it should be set up just in the Washington network or global, do you people have washington.edu addresses yet? Let me know!

Editx2: Of course if you know other people that won't get on SDN and read this, let them know about the group also. Invite all the new E07's you know.

Hey I just joined this group...I think.

Yay, so nice to get a face (and actual name) with the screenname! :)

hmmm... I don't see it so I'm guessing it is just within the Washington network and I haven't gotten my email address yet. Did they send the information to do all that (email, etc.) after you paid your deposit? Mine was sent in this week.

hmmm... I don't see it so I'm guessing it is just within the Washington network and I haven't gotten my email address yet. Did they send the information to do all that (email, etc.) after you paid your deposit? Mine was sent in this week.

I think you might be able to add another network without the school email.

www.facebook.com

anyone can join...if you have your new uw email you should use that (you can join the UW network that way)

Howdy, everybody. It's been a while since I've been on this thread. What's the name of the facebook group y'all created? I couldn't find it on facebook (which isn't too much of a surprise coming from me). Thanks!

Its just UWSOM E-2007, and I'm trying to change it right now so that you folks that don't have emails at UW yet can join.

Ok, so I can't figure out for the life of me how to switch it so people from other networks can join. Anyone know how?

Can you switch the network to "global"

I have no clue though

no clue either. my facebook knowledge is extremely limited and without the link I would still be lost.

Well...crap. When I made it I had the option of global or Washington, but now it seems to be stuck on Washington only and I can't change it. Guess everyone will have to wait and join when they get their email address!

Alright I'll try and weigh in on books and the like: For Anatomy, I'll echo DrNeva's sentiments on the Netter Cards. I didn't get the 'required' textbook for most of the classes, either because it was online (e.g. histology, pathology), or it just sucked. I personally hated Gray's Anatomy, but other people liked it. I know you probably want to run out and buy all of your textbooks now, but try and resist; some of the E-06 people may be able to lend you their grays (and other books), or sell them to you cheap, and/or give you other advice about what books to get, etc.

Beyond anatomy I think you can wait until those classes get closer to get advice on what you need or not (I guess that may only apply to non-premat seattle folks...). In general I liked having a good board review book that covered the same material, because it was frequently much more concise and clear than the official material.

Ok, enough of the procrastination. Back to micro!

I just sent some invites to my friends that got into UWSOM. Our group is growing!!! :banana:

.dream.big.
Good call sending out an email about the facebook group. We have 44 members already!!!

.dream.big.
Good call sending out an email about the facebook group. We have 44 members already!!!

I just finally figured out how to join. Looks like we have a cool incoming class.
Chulito, where are you buddy? Join up so that we can finally put a face on you.

I just finally figured out how to join. Looks like we have a cool incoming class.
Chulito, where are you buddy? Join up so that we can finally put a face on you.

Are you flirting with me? ;) It's not much to look it, I promise you. Hmmm, I don't currently have any e-pictures of myself. Sad, I know. I'll see what I can do about that and get my face added to the group soon.

We should keep this thread going throughout the year, in particular so that we can keep in touch with our eastern brethren in Pullman while they're away. Also, it can be a nice chance for a bit of play, commiseration and fun-loving smartassery to leaven the mood when studying is weighing you down. Are you with me? I don't know whether you guys have seen the class threads for Medical College of Wisconsin, but they have robust, active threads for the classes of 2009, 2010 and 2011 that they regularly have to restart whenever they pass 1000 posts. Let's be cool like them!

It would definitely be great to keep this thread kicking! I just got my CPR certification from Cascade so atleast that is out of the way. Now, need to figure out how to keep busy for the rest of the summer...

First of all,
Congrats to all of you who survived the long admissions process!
I was WWAMI'ed last year and spent my first year in Pullman. I know that those of you who were picked in the lottery feel as though it is the end of the world. I was also very upset at the thought of spending a year out in the Palouse. I just wanted to say that it really isn't bad at all. If history repeats itself, you will become very close with the other 39 or so students in your class. You will form study groups, have parties, play sports, and get through the palouse experience together. Making these strong relationships with my classmates was the best part of my experience. As far as academics go, like any where you end up, you will have good and bad professors. There are some really great profs out there who make learning the material very interesting. The administration and office staff are very supportive. They really work with you to help you acheive your goals for the year. As far as long distance relationships go, many people in my class were in relationships with partners who were in Seattle or far away. Many times people would carpool every other week or so, and this made the traveling much more bearable. Having a close knit class really helps when the times get you down and lonely. With respect to living arrangements, many people chose to live Moscow, Idaho instead of Pullman. You will have two days of classes in Moscow and three in Pullman. Some advantages of living in Moscow are that rent is a lot cheaper and there's definitely more restaurants and shops and things to do in Moscow.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Here is a website composed of previous WWMAI's about how they lived their year on the Palouse. It is very insightful, hope this helps a little.
http://apps.medical.washington.edu/somoc/fs4_first_pullman_schedules.asp
This is the main page for the site. Click on the link to the left side bar titled "A Day in the Life"
Good luck y'all

Anyone get the orientation mailer yet?

I got a phone call from the Idaho-WWAMI office today because they wanted to confirm my mailing address. The lady I spoke with made mention of the orientation packets. She stated they would be going out throughout the week. I don't know if this is true for all other sites or just for the Idaho site, so take it for what it's worth.

I got mine, but that was just because I stopped by the WSU WWAMI office when I was over looking at apartments in Moscow (last Friday). They mentioned that they were waiting on the final list of Washington residents going to Pullman (looking over remaining appeals) before putting the addresses on and sending the WSU packets out. I would imagine that would impact when they send out the Seattle orientation packets as well. From my understanding that everything would be sorted out this week.

I was on campus yesterday and picked up the June mailer. Just a few forms to sign and send back. Apparently there is a two-day retreat w/faculty to kick off orientation.

VaulterGirl, how was your first day of premat (it started today, right?)?

I was on campus yesterday and picked up the June mailer. Just a few forms to sign and send back. Apparently there is a two-day retreat w/faculty to kick off orientation.

VaulterGirl, how was your first day of premat (it started today, right?)?

It was awesome!!! We definitely have an amazing group of people in this years entering class.

It was awesome!!! We definitely have an amazing group of people in this years entering class.

If this thread is any indication, the people in our class are really diverse and are going to be a blast to go through med school with.

Did they load you up with homework already?

If this thread is any indication, the people in our class are really diverse and are going to be a blast to go through med school with.

Did they load you up with homework already?

Technically we have some reading to do but everyone I talked to that has taken the Histology class pretty much tell me not to read the book.

Technically we have some reading to do but everyone I talked to that has taken the Histology class pretty much tell me not to read the book.

How do they recommend that you study for the course, then? Just the class syllabus? What are you using as an atlas - the book, course slides, other review books?

The very first time that I got excited about medicine was when I popped into the path department (before I was even premed) and the pathologist called me over and showed me what she was viewing under the scope. I had no clue what I was looking at, but the colors were real pretty. It sparked an interest in me, and so I'm actually pretty excited about the histo course.

What other sort of activities do they have planned for you in the afternoons?

How do they recommend that you study for the course, then? Just the class syllabus? What are you using as an atlas - the book, course slides, other review books?

The very first time that I got excited about medicine was when I popped into the path department (before I was even premed) and the pathologist called me over and showed me what she was viewing under the scope. I had no clue what I was looking at, but the colors were real pretty. It sparked an interest in me, and so I'm actually pretty excited about the histo course.

What other sort of activities do they have planned for you in the afternoons?

My friend said that the textbook was used mostly as a reference. The majority of people studied from the class notes/syllabus. I guess I will know for sure when I actually begin my classes. In the afternoons, we have tons of activities that vary day to day. We are also mentoring the SMDEP (I think that is what it is called) students.