===Univ. of Washington SOM c/o 2011===

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all--I hope summer is going well, that you are all getting a chance to relax and NOT thinking about the upcoming days of hard work. In fact, I hope no one reads my post because you're all so busy having fun.
But--in the case that you have already read this far, I have to admit I've been thinking about school quite a bit in the last weeks. I was SO crazy excited when I got in, and now reality is setting in and I'm scared to death. Anyone else in the same boat?
I know we're all going to do fine, but I can't help but be a little nervous when I'm ordering my anatomy books (how am I going to learn ALL of this?!)
at any rate, see you all soon.
Peace.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all--I hope summer is going well, that you are all getting a chance to relax and NOT thinking about the upcoming days of hard work. In fact, I hope no one reads my post because you're all so busy having fun.
But--in the case that you have already read this far, I have to admit I've been thinking about school quite a bit in the last weeks. I was SO crazy excited when I got in, and now reality is setting in and I'm scared to death. Anyone else in the same boat?
I know we're all going to do fine, but I can't help but be a little nervous when I'm ordering my anatomy books (how am I going to learn ALL of this?!)
at any rate, see you all soon.
Peace.

It is like going on for bungy jumping. We need to trust the ropes will hold, close our eyes and jump!

lg-bungy-jumping-la.jpg

I'm totally with you, don't worry! I was so excited, but more and more bits of fear are creeping in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm definitely filled with nervous excitement as well. I think it hit me when I saw our class schedule. That is a ton of class! But hey we've all worked very hard to get to this point and it will be a great once we get started.

By the way does anyone know when we get assigned to our colleges?

I'm definitely filled with nervous excitement as well. I think it hit me when I saw our class schedule. That is a ton of class! But hey we've all worked very hard to get to this point and it will be a great once we get started.

By the way does anyone know when we get assigned to our colleges?

Where can I find this class schedule, Speedy? I've only managed to see past schedules, and I'm anxious to know how they're organizing anatomy for our class.

I got mine in the June WWAMI mailer. Since you were not as lucky in the lottery, I guess you don't get one ;)

I have no idea how it compares to the Seattle schedule, but I would imagine it would be a little different as far as times/dates go since we're going between two campuses. We have somewhat of a dynamic schedule as I noticed a couple times/dates changed as the weeks went on. For us, it looks like we start out with Anatomy on MW in the afternoon. However, we don't have anatomy lab scheduled yet (as far as I can tell).

I got mine in the June WWAMI mailer. Since you were not as lucky in the lottery, I guess you don't get one ;)

I have no idea how it compares to the Seattle schedule, but I imagine it would be a little different as far as times/dates go since we're going between two campuses. We have somewhat of a dynamic schedule as I noticed a couple times/dates changed as the weeks went on. For us, it looks like we start out with Anatomy on MW in the afternoon. However, we don't have anatomy lab scheduled yet (as far as I can tell).

Ah yes, I had forgotten that you'll be over in Pullman. You guys are on semesters instead of quarters, so your schedule will likely be quite different from ours.There are two things that I'm wondering about, however, that shouldn't be different at the two sites.

In the past they've split anatomy between years one and two, with head, neck and trunk the first year, limbs and muscles the second year (and taught largely by orthopods). I was told at my interview with Dr. Samson, however, that this was almost certainly not going to be the case any more. I don't know whether you can tell what they're doing this year, but if so, I'd love to hear it.

The other change that they decided to try out last year or the year before (at least in Seattle) was a shift from having anatomy for the entire first quarter along with three other classes to a schedule with intensive anatomy alone for 5 weeks, and the other three courses taken together during the latter two thirds of the quarter. How is yours scheduled?

Thanks for any help you can give, Speedy. I should really just send them an e-mail asking when our schedules will be released. I'll do that soon.

Ah yes, I had forgotten that you'll be over in Pullman. You guys are on semesters instead of quarters, so your schedule will likely be quite different from ours.There are two things that I'm wondering about, however, that shouldn't be different at the two sites.

In the past they've split anatomy between years one and two, with head, neck and trunk the first year, limbs and muscles the second year (and taught largely by orthopods). I was told at my interview with Dr. Samson, however, that this was almost certainly not going to be the case any more. I don't know whether you can tell what they're doing this year, but if so, I'd love to hear it.

The other change that they decided to try out last year or the year before (at least in Seattle) was a shift from having anatomy for the entire first quarter along with three other classes to a schedule with intensive anatomy alone for 5 weeks, and the other three courses taken together during the latter two thirds of the quarter. How is yours scheduled?

Thanks for any help you can give, Speedy. I should really just send them an e-mail asking when our schedules will be released. I'll do that soon.

From what I can tell it looks like we've got head, neck, and trunk only. I'm just getting that off our class list. As far as scheduling, it looks like we've got it mixed in with the other courses. So it doesn't appear that anything is different from last year. Someone else might have more information than me, but that is what I can tell from the forms I have.

From what I can tell it looks like we've got head, neck, and trunk only. I'm just getting that off our class list. As far as scheduling, it looks like we've got it mixed in with the other courses. So it doesn't appear that anything is different from last year. Someone else might have more information than me, but that is what I can tell from the forms I have.

Speedy,

I talked with the school today and we in Seattle have the same split schedule for anatomy as you guys in Pullman. The course schedule should be up on the site by the end of the week or next week.

Speedy,

I talked with the school today and we in Seattle have the same split schedule for anatomy as you guys in Pullman. The course schedule should be up on the site by the end of the week or next week.

All the sites have to do it the same way since the split format has always relegated limbs to the second year, when we'll all be together. I sure hope that they are continuing with this format. I brought it up as a strength during my interview, and was disappointed when my interviewer said that it would likely be changed. In the split system, limbs are taught at a point when we will know a lot more, and clinical correlates are much more common, integral and meaningful. The fact that limbs are taught largely by orthopods means that clinical correlates will provide for greater pseudo-training in an area that most medical schools virtually ignore. We'll see how it works out. I'm optimistic.

All the sites have to do it the same way since the split format has always relegated limbs to the second year, when we'll all be together. I sure hope that they are continuing with this format. I brought it up as a strength during my interview, and was disappointed when my interviewer said that it would likely be changed. In the split system, limbs are taught at a point when we will know a lot more, and clinical correlates are much more common, integral and meaningful. The fact that limbs are taught largely by orthopods means that clinical correlates will provide for greater pseudo-training in an area that most medical schools virtually ignore. We'll see how it works out. I'm optimistic.

I guess that makes sense and that the system as its stands has its own merit. It seems to me that learning anatomy piecemeal would detract from the overall experience, and that taking anatomy in the second year would take away time from other courses - esp. because of our organ-based system, it doesn't seem like there would be much correlation b/w anatomy and the other courses. Then again, being taught by orthopods seems like a great way to learn muscles and bones. And I'm really looking forward to anatomy, so I'm definitely not dreading it, and doing it in the second year as well should keep the info from first year at least somewhat fresher than if we did all of anatomy in the first year.

I can't wait to get started.

Does anyone know whether we have a white-coat ceremony?

I would have loved to have white-coat ceremony at the orientation itself like a few other schools. Even though it only makes you appear as a doctor :)

I would have loved to have white-coat ceremony at the orientation itself like a few other schools. Even though it only makes you appear as a doctor :)

You guys get a stethoscope ceremony instead. Your family is invited and there is a nice lunch that follows. You'll hear more about it during orientation.

Hopefully, everyone received the orientation program email yesterday. It looks like a great schedule and a wonderful way to know each other. Getting up that early in the morning and reaching UW would be a challenge though.

Hopefully, everyone received the orientation program email yesterday. It looks like a great schedule and a wonderful way to know each other. Getting up that early in the morning and reaching UW would be a challenge though.

I don't know how I feel about square dancing. It will be good for a laugh, at least.

Chulito, I could use a tractor :)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k4IL2Z-aWU[/YOUTUBE]

Chulito, I could use a tractor :)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k4IL2Z-aWU[/YOUTUBE]

Yee-haw! You and I can be partners. That looks fun.