Univ of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackpot

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on this program? I would love to be in Seattle but generally didn't get the best feeling on my interview day from the current residents as few showed for the lunch and dinner and they didn't seem too excited to be there. I know many UW med students choose to stay there for anesthesia which is a good sign but I think this may be more a factor of family relocation (kids, spouse's job, etc) rather than the program itself.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought UW had a pretty good feel. The residents with whom I spoke were happy, but most admitted to working fairly hard. The residents I met seemed to like the program and were excited to be there. And they all loved Seattle, and said they got used to the gloomy wet weather without much difficulty.

As much as I liked UW, I think I liked OHSU better and plan to rank it ahead of UW. I guess it's probably not as academic or prestigious, but it felt like a better fit for me. And I really liked the new chair at OHSU... he seemed really energized and excited about the future of the program. Just my 2 cents....

I'm with you on this one jack. I didn't really get "the feeling" from UW. Minimal residents showed for dinner and lunch (is it possible we were there at the same time? 1/6/03)--the ones that did seemed pretty exhausted. The PD didn't make an appearance on interview day nor did he reply to numerous emails that I sent. The surg dept is hardcore and this may trickle into anes. Dilapidated facilities (didn't see harborview or children's, but I hear they are nice). Q3 for approx half of first year at harborview (this may be good though--lots of post-call days off, but really messes with the 'ol circadian).

However, there are also a lot of positives that go along with this program: awesome rep, awesome location, good networks if you want to stay on west coast, solid overall training with great regional/peds/trauma/CT, see a lot of crazy sh#t working at one of the busiest trauma centers in nation (harborview), chair has been around the block a few times (Dr. Cheney), Director of Resident Educ is cool (Dr. Amundsen), and the fact that a lot of UW med studs go here tells a lot.

Overall, if I based my ranking completely on the feeling I got from interview day, I would put these guys near the bottom of my list. However, I just couldn't deny all the positives and subsequently ranked UW #5 (right in the middle). I had a much better feeling about Virginia Mason and have ranked them at the top of my list. Good Luck! Maybe I'll see you in Sea-town.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm agreeing. i interviewed at uw early in the season and ran into very few residents. the only residents that showed up for lunch were ones that did not have any clinical assignments for the day. not sure what that means....the ones i met were TIRED and not all that psyched.

seattle is sweeter than sweet and that counts for a lot. however, i've heard the uw medical center described as "the death star," which doesnt' really conjure up the nicest images. the program directors that i met were both incredibly friendly and helpful and the department is really trying to head in a more academic direction. i think sallysux summed things up re: uw pretty well. plus, i also think vm seemed fabulous.

as for ohsu, that place will be amazing in no time. the new chair was the program director at hopkins for the past bunch of years and is among the nicest and smartest people ever. a total resident advocate with all kinds of great ideas. oregon may be a sleeper this year, but it will only be getting better and better and better.

i hope everyone is doing well and best of luck in the upcoming days, weeks and months. :D

I'm not in the field, but i have 2 friends who are in seattle doing anesthesia, one at VM, one at UW. My friend at UW is leaving the program and going back into medicine...hates the program. My friend at VM loves the place.................