1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Univ. Rochester Anyone??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by WISC-ite, Sep 22, 2002.

1. WISC-ite

WISC-ite Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am interviewing at Univ of Rochester next week (Friday) and was wondering a few things....

First, I was wondering how many students in the first year class were in the BS/MD program. Is there a set number of students they take from that program each year?

Second, does anyone know much about the school interview process? I heard there are a few ethics questions and in general it was relaxed.

And before someone says it (they always do), I did a search looking for intreview material. I also check the SDN interview feedback, etc. I just would like some additional info.

Also, the user who is named ERIN who posted having an interview at Unv. of Rochester on the 25th, I don't think they interview on Wednesdays. Check your date.

Peace out
    WISC-ite

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jot

jot

hullo - i'm not applying there, but i know a bit about it. the rems program (ba/md) takes about 12 or so kids a year, though next year there will be 20 (accepted too many). they are a small part of the entering class, and vary greatly in intelligence, where they came from, and diversity.

i don't know too much about the interview process except i believe it is blind (someone correct me if i'm wrong). chances are that you will be asked an ethics q or two.

ok - now if you want to really wow them, the super buzz word is "biopsychosocial", which is the model that the medical school is built upon. a fellow george engel (who died a couple years back) is the icon of the school, and described this model in the most highly cited paper of all time in science in 1977 i think (pubmed search if it goes back that far). essentially the school is interested in treating a patient not only on a biomedical level, but in the context of their own psychological state - the key here is to take care of the patient as a person. a lot of schools give lip service to that, but it is ingrained in the curric, and there are a couple innovations that speak to it.

they might talk about this a little during the orienting session if they have one, but this should give you a heads up. if you can jive with the essence of the biopsychosocial model, then you're a good fit.

it has nice new facilities and a new biomed complex - good curric so have fun and goodluck. i'm not here on fri, or i could show you around. anyway - take care.

-jot

4. WISC-ite

WISC-ite Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    jot,

thanks, you da man.

I am now going to read-up on their biopsychosocial ideals and get pumped for the interview.

Again thanks, jot.

Anyone else have something to add?

Cheers.
    WiSC-ite

5. md689

md689 Member
    7+ Year Member

Information handed down from a friend who interviewed there last year:

Interviews at U Rochester were indeed blind and were relaxed. He had one faculty and one student interview.

He really liked the early clinical training--the whole double helix, including outpatient clinical work from semester one, sets them apart from most, if not all, other schools.

The class is supposedly pretty well-distributed, age-wise, but my friend said he didn't meet any non-traditional applicants when he interviewed.

6. liberty

liberty Member
    7+ Year Member

hey what's up!
    i interviewed at rochester about this time last year. there was a really nice person named mary who coordinates the day. there were about fifteen of us there. both my interviews were "blind" interviews. one of my interviewers was a teacher and she was the one who asked the ethical questions. the other was more chill and no tough questions were asked, basically an explain yourself interview. overall, i love rochester. the people were friendly and in preparing, i read over their information and looked at jazz on the internet. i guess the double helix program is really innovative.

7. nitemagi

nitemagi Senior Member
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey WISC-ite! I'll be there on wednesday, interviewing on thursday. Looks like we'll just miss each other. Thanks for opening up the discussion. Great info. A Biopsychosocial model is totally in line with my beliefs, and I think it's great that a school emphasizes it.

8. WISC-ite

WISC-ite Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  9. lady bug

7+ Year Member

wisc-cite, where have you been....:confused: good luck on your interviews!