WISC-ite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2001
Left Coast
Visit site
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am interviewing at Univ of Rochester next week (Friday) and was wondering a few things....

First, I was wondering how many students in the first year class were in the BS/MD program. Is there a set number of students they take from that program each year?

Second, does anyone know much about the school interview process? I heard there are a few ethics questions and in general it was relaxed.

And before someone says it (they always do), I did a search looking for intreview material. I also check the SDN interview feedback, etc. I just would like some additional info.

Also, the user who is named ERIN who posted having an interview at Unv. of Rochester on the 25th, I don't think they interview on Wednesdays. Check your date.

Peace out
WISC-ite

J

jot

hullo - i'm not applying there, but i know a bit about it. the rems program (ba/md) takes about 12 or so kids a year, though next year there will be 20 (accepted too many). they are a small part of the entering class, and vary greatly in intelligence, where they came from, and diversity.

i don't know too much about the interview process except i believe it is blind (someone correct me if i'm wrong). chances are that you will be asked an ethics q or two.

ok - now if you want to really wow them, the super buzz word is "biopsychosocial", which is the model that the medical school is built upon. a fellow george engel (who died a couple years back) is the icon of the school, and described this model in the most highly cited paper of all time in science in 1977 i think (pubmed search if it goes back that far). essentially the school is interested in treating a patient not only on a biomedical level, but in the context of their own psychological state - the key here is to take care of the patient as a person. a lot of schools give lip service to that, but it is ingrained in the curric, and there are a couple innovations that speak to it.

they might talk about this a little during the orienting session if they have one, but this should give you a heads up. if you can jive with the essence of the biopsychosocial model, then you're a good fit.

it has nice new facilities and a new biomed complex - good curric so have fun and goodluck. i'm not here on fri, or i could show you around. anyway - take care.

-jot

WISC-ite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2001
Left Coast
Visit site
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
jot,

thanks, you da man.

I am now going to read-up on their biopsychosocial ideals and get pumped for the interview.

Again thanks, jot.

Anyone else have something to add?

Cheers.
WiSC-ite

About the Ads

md689

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2002
Boston, MA
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Information handed down from a friend who interviewed there last year:

Interviews at U Rochester were indeed blind and were relaxed. He had one faculty and one student interview.

He really liked the early clinical training--the whole double helix, including outpatient clinical work from semester one, sets them apart from most, if not all, other schools.

The class is supposedly pretty well-distributed, age-wise, but my friend said he didn't meet any non-traditional applicants when he interviewed.

liberty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2001
illinois
Visit site
Status (Visible)
hey what's up!
i interviewed at rochester about this time last year. there was a really nice person named mary who coordinates the day. there were about fifteen of us there. both my interviews were "blind" interviews. one of my interviewers was a teacher and she was the one who asked the ethical questions. the other was more chill and no tough questions were asked, basically an explain yourself interview. overall, i love rochester. the people were friendly and in preparing, i read over their information and looked at jazz on the internet. i guess the double helix program is really innovative.

nitemagi

15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey WISC-ite! I'll be there on wednesday, interviewing on thursday. Looks like we'll just miss each other. Thanks for opening up the discussion. Great info. A Biopsychosocial model is totally in line with my beliefs, and I think it's great that a school emphasizes it.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads