Apr 4, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I am currently an M3 in Florida, but I want to head to the Northwest for residency. I'm from Northern Idaho originally, but went to undergrad in Oregon (Go Ducks!). I have a couple questions that I would love to hear what people say.
1) How does UW compare to OHSU? I want to have a great learning experience, but I also want to be working with people I enjoy.
2) I've heard UW is tough to get into because it is a great program. But I really do not want to do an externship because I have a 9 month old daughter and am pregnant again . Should I push myself to do an externship anyway? I just made junior AOA, got a 251 on Step 1, and have a little research and tons of extraciriculars. I am hoping I have a good chance without an externship, but I am willing to try if you all think its critical.
3) What is the culture like for women at these two programs? Clearly family is important to me and while I work hard, I want to know people will not judge me. I will have to set up early interviews due to inability to travel after Thanksgiving. Plus I will be going to my interviews 8 months pregnant!
4) I would like to do a fellowship (cards, critical care maybe?) after IM. Which program offers the best fellowship opportunities?
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate any input you all have!

chitown82

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am currently an M3 in Florida, but I want to head to the Northwest for residency. I'm from Northern Idaho originally, but went to undergrad in Oregon (Go Ducks!). I have a couple questions that I would love to hear what people say.
1) How does UW compare to OHSU? I want to have a great learning experience, but I also want to be working with people I enjoy.
2) I've heard UW is tough to get into because it is a great program. But I really do not want to do an externship because I have a 9 month old daughter and am pregnant again . Should I push myself to do an externship anyway? I just made junior AOA, got a 251 on Step 1, and have a little research and tons of extraciriculars. I am hoping I have a good chance without an externship, but I am willing to try if you all think its critical.
3) What is the culture like for women at these two programs? Clearly family is important to me and while I work hard, I want to know people will not judge me. I will have to set up early interviews due to inability to travel after Thanksgiving. Plus I will be going to my interviews 8 months pregnant!
4) I would like to do a fellowship (cards, critical care maybe?) after IM. Which program offers the best fellowship opportunities?
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate any input you all have!
1. UWashington > OHSU regarding repuration.
2. You should get an interview at both programs without a problem. An away rotation isn't necessary.
3. Can you go to your interviews after your deliver? I know it will suck to be away from family but I'd imagine it would be negatively perceived if you are so clearly about to have a child. Programs might be wary about your ability to handle intern year, a new baby, etc. I would lay low, interview after you deliver, and not mention your family situation unless it comes up.
4. UWashington > OHSU for fellowship opportunities but both will likely get you a solid fellowship.

Good luck and cute baby.

Oct 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
If you're from Idaho originally, you should also check out the Boise track at UW

normansatx

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2007
Seattle
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you're from Idaho originally, you should also check out the Boise track at UW
Hey there, I'm a second year UW resident. Just wanted to let you know that by the time you apply the Boise track will be an entirely separate residency that all three years will be in Boise with less crossover between tracks except elective opportunities to go to SEattle.

PM me if you have any specific questions about UW, would be glad to get back to you, but I am on CCU so am a bit busy.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I'm @ OHSU (fellow now). I love the place so am clearly biased. In general, I agree that UW's national reputation is higher than that of OHSU but OHSU is a solid program with excellent training. Fellowship placement is solid as well. There's less internal competition than in some other programs because it's a smaller program (30-ish people per class) and >1/2 of recent classes have been going for hospitalist/PC gigs rather than specialties.

Finally, the OHSU program is extremely family friendly. We have a few couples with shared positions and kids. 2 of the last 3 intern classes have been >50% women. The bulk of residents are married/coupled and 1/4-1/3 of them have kids or have them during residency.

flabs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm @ OHSU (fellow now). I love the place so am clearly biased. In general, I agree that UW's national reputation is higher than that of OHSU but OHSU is a solid program with excellent training. Fellowship placement is solid as well. There's less internal competition than in some other programs because it's a smaller program (30-ish people per class) and >1/2 of recent classes have been going for hospitalist/PC gigs rather than specialties.

Finally, the OHSU program is extremely family friendly. We have a few couples with shared positions and kids. 2 of the last 3 intern classes have been >50% women. The bulk of residents are married/coupled and 1/4-1/3 of them have kids or have them during residency.
Hi gutonc-

how would you judge OHSU's friendliness to couple's matching. My partner and I will be trying this route (me: IM, her: Peds)...

ResidentMD

7+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2009
Status
Hi gutonc-

how would you judge OHSU's friendliness to couple's matching. My partner and I will be trying this route (me: IM, her: Peds)...
Gutonc will obviously shed more light on this, but from what I know, OHSU is historically known to be couple-friendly. I think when I applied (2010 Match), it was one of the programs that was known to encourage the concept; and it was possibly one of the few programs that actually even mentioned it on their program website that they encourage the couples match.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Hi gutonc-

OHSU IM is very couples friendly. I assume Peds is as well.

There's a big focus on resident happiness in the IM program and being with your spouse goes a long way to making that happen.

atsai3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 15, 2002
Boston
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
1 & 3) Don't have any exposure to OHSU, so I can only hazard a guess. The OHSU program seems to be heavily weighted with a VA patient population. UW has the university site, county hospital, and a VA. But it's a great learning environment. I don't know of any interns in my class who ever felt like the program was not respectful of women. UW residents do work hard; Harborview is always packed to the gills, and the open ICU and microwave dinners in the basement of the VA do not endear themselves to anyone.

4) Fellowship placement is probably better at UW vs. OHSU, but the fellowship placement at UW could be better. A few years back one of the criticisms voiced about the UW program is that there was a lack of mentorship-- faculty who could steer you towards resources, go to bat for you at other fellowship programs, etc. Many graduates stay at UW for faculty and fellowship, but my impression was that a lot of people ended up defaulting to UW as well. The program director may have corrected this problem by now.

-AT.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
1 & 3) Don't have any exposure to OHSU, so I can only hazard a guess. The OHSU program seems to be heavily weighted with a VA patient population.
-AT.
Just to clarify/correct. We get a pretty even VA/Univ split in terms of inpt and ICU months. Most IM residents do their ER months @ the VA (basically urgent care/walk-in clinic about 75% of the time) which was just fine for me. If I wanted to deal with trauma and medically clearing drunks and criminals to go to jail, I would have done EM.

Also, OHSU is the de facto County Hospital for the Portland area so we get that exposure, just not exclusively and in nicer facilities. That said, the lack of a "true" County experience did give me pause initially. Turned out to not be an issue, at all. Think "County Patients" with "Private Hospital Nursing and Ancillary Staff."

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Can anyone give me some feed back on how to deal with the fact that I will be obviously pregnant during interviews? I will be due late December and so there is really no way to avoid it by going for a later interview date since I cannot leave the baby for 2 weeks to interview at all the programs I plan to apply to in the NW. I feel like the fact that I already have a child and have still been junior AOA and done research speaks for the fact that I can handel it....but I am very nervous about what kind of questions they will ask and if I will be perceived as 'not serious' about medicine....

Jan 19, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Can anyone give me some feed back on how to deal with the fact that I will be obviously pregnant during interviews? I will be due late December and so there is really no way to avoid it by going for a later interview date since I cannot leave the baby for 2 weeks to interview at all the programs I plan to apply to in the NW. I feel like the fact that I already have a child and have still been junior AOA and done research speaks for the fact that I can handel it....but I am very nervous about what kind of questions they will ask and if I will be perceived as 'not serious' about medicine....
Top residency programs pride themselves in choosing a diverse residency class - and I see no reason while a pregnant woman or new mom can't be part of that.

I would be prepared to be confident, and say something like "I've completed months of clinical work and research while pregnant, and I want to let you know that I am serious about medicine residency - despite my clear interest in also raising a family."

I think that attitude will put the whole matter to rest in the eyes of your interviewer.

Based on the stats you've posted, I would guess you'd be a great candidate for OHSU medicine--in addition to many other programs in the NW, including UW.

You may encounter someone who seems to look down on you despite your best intentions, but I think that's probably a sign that their residency probably isn't deserving of your time or energy.