Univeristy of Hawaii ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phoenixrising

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the categorical IM program is? There is not much on this site regarding it other than "dude it's Hawaii!". Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Umm...dude, it's Hawaii.

But seriously, I've not heard anything other than that myself.

well, i'm interviewing there in january. although it is one of my back up programs, i'm a native pacific islander so the pt population there appeals to me. what i've heard is that the faculty are more like private attendings. don't know for sure if that's a good or bad thing. i've also heard from my advisor that we had 1 person from my school go thru the program there in the past who reported back that she believes she had good training. With all that said, i'm still not sure if any of that info enough to base anything off from.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated from the UH program in 2005. I am about to graduate from the University of Miami Anesthesiology program (I did a second residency). Comparing the UH program to the UM one and the Mt.Sinai one in Miami. I would say that the residents at UM are FAR BETTER than the ones here in Miami.

The UH residents are better for several reasons. The program in Hawaii can be selective as to who it chooses. Each year they take 1/3 from the UH med school, 1/3 from foreign schools (experienced attendings from singapore and japan usually) and 1/3 from the US mainland. This ensures that they get excellent residents. Another reason that it is an excellent program is that the expectations are VERY HIGH.

Because it is a community program, you are dealing with consultants and not fellows or residents when you consult. This means that unless you know your **** you will look like an idiot. And once you have a bad reputation, it will follow you. THis means that there is pressure to perform so that you can maintain your reputation. Another reason is that when the **** hits the fan at 3 am you may be the only doctor in the hospital (as a PGY-2 or PGY-3 that is). When I was a resident I would intubate, line-up and resuscitate patients with no help from anyone. I would call the attending to let them know what was goin on, but usually only after I had done everything.

All in all.........I would say that the UH program is excellent. And by the way, you would be in Hawaii for a year so you can't go wrong. Unless you want to be an Ivy League academic or unless you want to get a prestigious GI or Cardiology fellowship, then you can't do much better than going to UH.

Thank you guys for your input. They were a lot more helpful than the typical "It's Hawaii" responses.