Univeristy of Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swoop

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about the University of Miami medical school? Anybody thinking about going there?

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion: gaining better recognition nationally, great location. and also serves underserved peoples. one of my choices for next years app season will be U of Miami. although i am an out of state student so chances will be less than in state

BobbyD,

Miami is actually looking to expand its reputation as a "national" university, and so beginning this year they have decided to accept a significant number of out of state applicants. Your chances will be similar to that of any applicant applying to a private school.

For swoop, Miami is great! You can't beat the location, the weather, and the opportunities that the city gives you. Definitely take a shot and apply there.

Members don't see this ad :)
K2,
thanks for the info...miami definately will have my name in the pot to choose from...would love to be under those palm trees!! suffering the cold rainy weather in boston now....not looking forward to winter!

Miami is awesome! I interviewed there (as an out of stater) a few weeks ago and I hope to hear from them soon. On my preference-o-meter they're #2 behind Emory (and ahead of Vanderbilt, Minn. and UIC). Jackson Memorial is one of the best hospitals on the nation and it serves an indigent population. What does that mean? You can learn to actually DO things there as early as 1st year (heck, your first week if you want). Not to mention that Miami is such an awesome city with everything from probably the best nightlife in the country to excellent eating. I would definately apply there whether in-state or out of state. It seemed like they are really into getting their "rank" up into the top twenty...so your degree worth will appreciate with time.

If I have one regret its not applying to Miami. I cant imagine a more phat city to learn medicine! Med school is intense as it is, the thought of being able to chill and party in the party capital of the world after a hard exam would be awesome. Yikes, the thought of laying on the beach between classes brings chills down my spine! Maybe its good i dont go there, I would probably fail out. :cool: Miami is da bomb!