Univeristy of Utah Applicants c/o 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Basilone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else applying to the University of Utah this year? I am waiting to see if I get an interview at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I don't need to worry too much about competition...

...I will just continue posting to myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not applying until next cycle but I'm thinking about Utah. Have you visited the campus? If so, what were your impressions?

When I talked to the advisor, she told me that interviews are around mid-March to April....but one of my coworker told me that she got her invitation at the end of Feb last year.....:confused:

I have been wondering when the invitations to interview would be sent out and if anyone has gotten one yet...

I'm not applying until next cycle but I'm thinking about Utah. Have you visited the campus? If so, what were your impressions?

I am an undergrad at the U, so yes I have visited the campus. The College of Pharmacy is in a separate area (near medical school, main hospital, etc)from the primary undergrad area. I had one class in the CoP building and it is very nice. Last year they started construction on a new building for the CoP. That being said, I have only been to Midwestern in Glendale for comparison.

I have been wondering when the invitations to interview would be sent out and if anyone has gotten one yet...

I also have been wondering this, do you know how they contact you? I assumed it would be email or a call but I don't know.

I received an email today that said invitations for interviews will be made by Feb 17 through a phone call.

The College of Pharmacy called when I was in lab today:thumbup:. When I returned the call they had closed for the day, so I will be calling them back first thing in the morning.

My interview is set, now all I have to do is wait.

My interview is the 1st around 12:30, when is yours?

Members don't see this ad :)
On the 2nd around the same time as you.

Best of luck to you, hopefully we both get in.

Thank you! Best of luck to you as well.

I also have an interview scheduled for March 1st at 12:45.
I was just wondering how much pharmacy experience you guys have. I hear that the U likes applicants to have some experience, but I don't have very much. I have about 15 hours of shadowing at a local hospital. Anyways, I was just wondering.
Congrats on getting an interview, and best of luck to everyone.

I was just wondering how much pharmacy experience you guys have. I hear that the U likes applicants to have some experience, but I don't have very much. I have about 15 hours of shadowing at a local hospital. Anyways, I was just wondering.

I have been a tech in a hospital setting for almost 5 years and have 3 months of retail experience as well. I have heard the U likes diversity in their class so I think they are looking for people with experience and people without.

I have about 3 years of experience in a long term care specialty pharmacy. I wouldn't worry about not having enough experience, you did get an interview after all. My understanding is that the interview is closed file, so as long as you have do well in the interview you have a good shot. According to pharmcas, last year they interviewed 90 people for 60 seats and I have heard they would like to increase this year's class size. Technically we have a 66% chance of getting in just based off of those numbers.

I think we have the same interview time on the 1st.

As far as the panel discussion goes, what exactly is it?

I have been wondering about that panel discussion as well...

At first glance I thought it would be like a Q&A session with current students but I really don't know. I am thinking it will be with all the candidates in each group, probably not a 2nd interview. One of the pharmacists I work with graduated from the U last year and she is unfamiliar with this, so it is probably relatively new.

I also have an interview on the first, so we will probably all see each other but we won't even know it! I've also been wondering about the panel discussion. The pharmacist I work with was on the interviewing commitee when he was in school 2 years ago. Maybe he will know something about it. He didn't mention anythin to me about when we talked about the interview. I'll have to get back to you guys on that if I find anything out

good luck everyone! mine is set for tuesday...so nervous....

I just got back from, it's not bad. All the faculty and staff were very friendly and helpful.

may i ask if it was a group interview or one-on-one? and what exactly they meant by panel discussion?

The panel discussion is a Q&A session with current students, so bring questions. The interview is with a student, a member of the admissions committee, and a faculty member or alumni, as was in the confirmation email sent last week.

Monday Sarah said after final decisions have been made, the U may or may not be calling those accepted, but will be sending out letters. Did anyone hear anything confirming calls in the Tuesday interviews?

Monday Sarah said after final decisions have been made, the U may or may not be calling those accepted, but will be sending out letters. Did anyone hear anything confirming calls in the Tuesday interviews?

They are calling everybody next week whether you are accepted or not. Accepted people will be called first.

Ok, thanks. I hope to get called monday then. How did you feel the interview went? I felt really good in the interview, I wasn't as nervous in the interview as I was driving to the interview.

Ok, thanks. I hope to get called monday then. How did you feel the interview went? I felt really good in the interview, I wasn't as nervous in the interview as I was driving to the interview.

I felt the opposite. Calm driving up and nervous when I was in the room. I felt like I did well immediately after but the more I think about it ... well I'm just trying not to think about it. :)

300 applicants with 60 accepted seems so daunting to me.

We shall see!

300 applicants, but only 90 of those interviewed for the 60 seats. It's hard for me to focus and study for my classes now. Did you apply anywhere else? I also applied to Creighton.

I only applied to the U. My fiance and I both have really good jobs here in Utah. I will apply to more schools next year if I do not get in this time.

Are you currently attending the U? I am and foolishly decided to take 18 credits while working 25 hrs a week. Unsurprisingly, I have very little free time. Would you apply to USN?

I am at the U now but I only started this last fall. I did most of my pre-reqs at SLCC. I would not apply to USN.

That makes two of us. My brother is a pharmacy resident and he doesn't have a whole lot of good things to say about their students.

I am at the U now but I only started this last fall. I did most of my pre-reqs at SLCC. I would not apply to USN.
Did you take microbiology at the U? I got a C+ in that class and it brought down my gpa by a lot more than I thought it would.

Watch out for the USN lurkers, they get upset easily.

Why wouldn't you apply to USN?
I have been accepted to USN, and I have been trying to decide where I will go IF I get accepted to the U.

I have nothing against USN, but I don't think it's for me. I want to go to a school associated with medical center, I don't like the pass / fail system, particularly because I am interested in a residency (at least at this point, talk to me again in 3.5 years), the high tuition is also a detractor, and I also am interested in research.

Did you interview monday? I overheard someone say that they already had been accepted to USN and wasn't sure where they would go if accepted to the U also. I was in a black suit, remember me? :laugh:

Oh yeah black suit guy, I remember you, you were wearing a tie too, right. Yeah I interviewed on Monday at 12:45.
I'm leaning towards the U, because there seems to be more opportunities, but I have to get accepted first. I felt really good about my interview, so Ive got my fingers crossed.

I took micro at SLCC and got an A. That was my fav class actually out of all the pre-reqs which surprised me. Physics is my problem.

Just my take on the USN question: I wouldn't apply to USN because I am afraid of getting stuck as a retail pharmacist, which is not what I want. If that is your goal than it is a good school I hear. I have also heard multiple pharmacist in charge of hiring at different hospital pharmacies, say they have doubts about applicants from that school because of bad experiences they have personally had with students from there. Not everyone says that, but some do. I do not want a debatable degree.

Got my acceptance call today...

What time did they call you?

I couldn't stand the silence, so around 4pm I called and they said they are still making calls . I hope tomorrow I get a call.