Universal numbering vs. International numbering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AUG2UAG

alize´& pomagranate juice
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which system do you prefer?
is it safe to assume that universal is more commonly used in d-school?
is it possible to switch to international numbering system?

Ray

Members don't see this ad.

AUG2UAG said:
which system do you prefer?
is it safe to assume that universal is more commonly used in d-school?
is it possible to switch to international numbering system?

Ray

I like universal, and I think most of the US does as well.

Neither of you have even started school yet, have you? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Universal is what you must become proficient in. The international system doesn't really require much effort to become proficient in it. Your schools will use Universal, though.

Gavin, u hit the nail on the head--

The international system doesn't really require much effort to become proficient in it.
why should we bother w/ universal?
do u think it's worth the effort to start making a push to use the international system?

AUG2UAG said:
Gavin, u hit the nail on the head--

why should we bother w/ universal?
do u think it's worth the effort to start making a push to use the international system?

You should bother with universal because its universal :D, and chances are all of your exams and charts in clinic will be setup for this system not international.

Only US schools use universal - the rest of the world uses International.

i think either one is fine. They are both easy to learn.

P.S. Long time no see Dr.Rob

Ya'll that are not even in school yet are complete nerds. :sleep:

DrTacoElf said:
You should bother with universal because its universal :D, and chances are all of your exams and charts in clinic will be setup for this system not international.
thx for putting me in my seat gary
however, honestly i think that we should start considering asking our instructors and institutions to use the international system instead of universal
a 54 makes much more sense than any old letter :D

ItsGavinC said:
You should bother with it because everybody in the US uses it.
i'm just going to clarify my question cos although i'm getting great feedback, my concern is unadressed,
here it goes:
to me, the universal system seems to lack the organization that makes (to me) the international system more easy to learn and use.
specifically when using letters to assign primary dentition in the universal model;
it seems very burdensome and non-efficient/organized

since we are the future generation of dentists
why should we support this system?

i ask this cos i was toying with the idear of--when the time comes-- asking professors at my school if they would use the international model instead of the universal model for instruction.

i honestly think that the class of 2009/UOP 2008 can influence policy change in dentistry

AUG2UAG said:
i'm just going to clarify my question cos although i'm getting great feedback, my concern is unadressed,
here it goes:
to me, the universal system seems to lack the organization that makes (to me) the international system more easy to learn and use.
specifically when using letters to assign primary dentition in the universal model;
it seems very burdensome and non-efficient/organized

i ask this cos i was toying with the idear of--when the time comes-- asking professors at my school if they would use the international model instead of the universal model for instruction.

i honestly think that the class of 2009/UOP 2008 can influence policy change in dentistry

I doubt it would easily take off because think of this. Do instructors really want to deal with differnces between the classes. They supervise everyone, why would they make an exception for your class?

And personally I like the universal system MUCH better, it makes more sense (to me) and in every setting i've been - it has been used, all the dental software is setup around it, all the charts i've seen and all the assistants and hygienist use it also. But in the end you can surely use international in your practice. But you might run into issues when sending in for labwork because all the forms i have seen use universal.

and a question for you

why shouldn't we support this system?

AUG2UAG said:

I don't want to burst any bubbles, but you're sorely mistaken if you believe that you, or your class, can influence policy change in dentistry.

My point is that it doesn't matter. Both systems are easy to learn. Use whatever you feel comfortable with. Just be prepared to use Universal while in school and while conversing with clinicians in the US.

AUG2UAG said:

When you go to ask your Professor to teach using the international system could you please video tape it. I want to see the look on his face.

The reason the US has resisted the use of the international system is (Besides stubbor pride) is economic and likely is influenced by international trade. French made screws don't fit American made bolts so Americans are employed making American made screws.

AUG2UAG said:

LMAO.....now THAT is one of the funniest things I've heard in a while. I would pay a lot of money to see the look on your prof's face!

The universal system is not cumbersome to us because we are actually in dental school and use it on a daily basis.

Good gosh, go outside and enjoy life.

thx for the feedback
it was just a thought
both systems are pretty straight forward and simple to use
just wanted to get ur $0.02