Universidad Central del Caribe School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SDN-Jim

Universidad Central del Caribe
School of Medicine
Call Box 60-327
Bayamon, PR 00960-6032
http://www.uccaribe.edu/

Admissions: 809 740 1611
Deadline: 12/15
In State Tuition: 17000
Number of Students: around 260
Average MCAT: 6.5

Please post any experiences you have with this school.

This is part of the big guide at http://www.studentdoctor.net

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I am looking for info about UCC as I am considering applying there. I have been working in a dr's office for a UCC grad and she has been awesome and has encouraged me to apply.

Are there any current students out there who can help me? Basically, I am looking to see what classes are like, how well graduates place in residency programs and living in the Bayamon area.

Thanks in advance.

For me UCC has been great. Classes follow a very traditional format as opposed to a systems based approach. There are only like 60-65 people in a class per year, which is nice. Classes are taught predominantly in Spanish, but exams are administered in English, to ensure that everyone is ready for the boards. A lot of people on here are looking for places to go for medical Spanish, I consider going to UCC an advantage as you will spend 4 years with Spanish. But, there is also considerable focus on English for the native Spanish speakers. This would also be true at Ponce and UPR. Most doctors in PR understand and speak English as all textbooks and board exams are in English.

UCC typically does well in the match. The only thing is there are not enough residency spots for those who wish to remain in Puerto Rico. About half of the class will have to go the mainland for residency - obviously this includes all of the mainlanders, but also many locals have to go to the US. Many of the specialties are predominantly offered at Centro Medico which caters to UPR grads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help. I am excited - I just received an interview so I should be headed to PR soon for that. I am looking forward to the trip and can't wait to see the school, and then I guess the waiting game begins.

Can anyone post the match list for UCC?

Hello
I got accepted to both UCC and AUC, but I am not sure which one to attend. While UCC is accredited as a US medical school I was not impressed with the facilities nor the low USMLE 1 pass rate in comparison with AUC. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Hello
I got accepted to both UCC and AUC, but I am not sure which one to attend. While UCC is accredited as a US medical school I was not impressed with the facilities nor the low USMLE 1 pass rate in comparison with AUC. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

I can't speak of the facilities but the USMLE issue might be due to the fact that the school population is spanish speaking, so they are at a linguistic disadvantage. but keep in mind that people get double 99 from schools in the middle east when they learn in Arabic without a slight resemblance to the US curriculum.. so it's really up to you to score or not to score well on the MLEs.

I'm a 2nd year student at UCC. The facilities aren't great, but mainlanders do really well here including on the USMLE Step 1. As a mature student, my kids have been sick here, so I applied to VCU Medical program for M3 and have just been accepted. Being an LCME accredited school is important.

Late to the dance...
I attended a Mexican medical school for two years, then transferred to UCC.
After graduating, I completed residency in Virginia and then did a fellowship at Johns Hopkins.
I hope you decided UCC over AUC - LCME and US Territory means as a Graduate I am a US Medical Grad, and was the reason I transferred.
While that helped, the rest is up to you - study and work hard.
I passed all of my exams for licensure the first time, and am board certified in my specialty (and subspecialty) and passed all of those exams the first time.
Hope this helps...and Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I was accepted to both UCC and San Juan Bautista, and I am not sure which one to go to. Since SJB was only recently LMCE accredited, there isn't much info/stats about the USMLE scores and Matching. I also heard that UCC was suppose to be the best medical school out of the private school in PR, but granted, this is probable someone's biased opinion. I would truly appreciate any info in regards to which school is the better choice since I plan/want to get a residency in the mainland.

Thank you :)

Has anyone found any info on the USMLE pass rate and residency match rate... ive been looking and i cant find anyyy information

not sure who's been accepted and plans on attending UCC but there is no facebook page yet for the class of 2018 so lets get that started
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1403026969971754/
UCC is a US medical school and I think they might already have a Facebook page. You should go the 'allopathic school specific threads' in the allopathic forum if you want to get acquainted to other students who have been accepted to UCC.