Universidad de Monterrey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PB

Do any of you have information about the Universidad de Monterrey in Mexico? I've read in Carlos Pestana's book that the tuition is really low, around $2,000/semester and that the education is quite good for that price. I just wonder how this place compares to the UAG. Any information?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

U de M is easily one of the top two or three medical schools in Mexico in terms of technological edge medicine. This is my opinion of course, but my opinion id with foundation. Classes are in Spanish, except the classes teaching English for the nationals.

Visit. You will be impressed. The top students get some clinials in Texas.

Could you post a web address?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you talking about Tec de Monterrey? If so, yeah, that's a good school. Wondering how it compares to UAG? Well, in price -- here's one for ya: I'm not sure what the entering class will be paying in tuition, but our class is between $17-18k per yr. The previous semester paid $15-something, so I assume they increase it about 2-grand per semester. Any other Mexican school would be cheaper. Now, as to whether they accept federal student loans, that's another story. Go to http://www.ed.gov/CFAPPS/TitleIV/details.cfm?CODE=G09821%20%20&RecordNum=1&Records=1 This is the web page for the Dept of Education, specifically for the school code for U de G. I know it wasn't U de G that you asked about, but there's a search function for you to use. Just enter the name of the school and the city, but not the state/country. This should tell you if the school(s) you're interested in are accredited/approved for fed student loans (Stafford).

[This message has been edited by dwstranger (edited 04-24-2000).]

dwstranger,
thanks for the link to the loan information. I found out that Univ. de Monterrey is approved for financial aid. I could not find El Tec. de Monterrey though! In Carlos Pestana's book, he says that in order to get into El Tec., you need to have some special connection. Are you currently at UAG? Do you know what the tuition at Univ. de Guad. is? Thanks so much for your help!
PB

I don't know anything about Guadalajara, but I have worked with more than a few of their graduates. I was in a rotation in a NYMC affiliated hospital in Westchester NY and they were doing their Fifth Pathway there. They were fantastic for the most part and I was duely impressed. So if you're interested in Guadalajara, I can tell you from personal experience that their graduates seem to be the equal of US medical school graduates. Good luck!
smile.gif

PB --

yes, I'm at UAG...

Believe it or not, the tuition at U de G is only N$700 (that's pesos) or about $70 USD per semester. I spoke with the equivalent of the Dean of Students there (Secretaria Academica) and she said that UAG is a little better for the basic sciences (which I find hard to believe), but U de G is better for the clinical years because they have more facilities at which to train.

Oh, but I'm perfectly happy at UAG, and in case any tecos are reading this: I would never dream of leaving UAG... ;-)

[This message has been edited by dwstranger (edited 04-25-2000).]

hi

i was wondering if anyone knows about the med school at the universidad autonoma de guerrero in acapulco?

thanks in advance.

ap

Who knows if U de Monterrey has de fifth pathway? Ive heard they do but i just want to make sure.

Who knows if U de Monterrey has de fifth pathway? Ive heard they do but i just want to make sure.

The Fifth Pathway is not a function of the medical school but a program offered by the US residency program one applies to; there are very few that accept this route to US training. Any school which meets the requirements, including requiring a year of internship or social service to graduate, is eligible for the 5th Pathway. This link will provide you with more information:

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/9306.html#pway6