Universities at DC, MD,VA

salma tamer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, anyone has any information about universities in md, va, dc like goerge town, howard, goerge mason. I am considering to apply for post grad and all i know about those universities is the ranking. I have no idea which is easy to access, easy to apply and other staff

Members don't see this ad.

Are you going to be based in DC? If yes:

DC: Georgetown, George Washington University, American University, Howard, Catholic University

Virginia: George Mason University

Maryland: University of Maryland at College Park

GW is on the metro (Foggy Bottom), Howard is a few blocks away (Shaw or U St), and same with Catholic (Brookland). University of Maryland, GMU, AU, and Georgetown have shuttles to their closest metro stops.

Do you have specific questions?

Other Virginia schools are UVA, William & Mary, Virginia Tech, and James Madison University, but these are all a couple to a few hours outside of DC.

George Washington U has 3 campus
(Main undergrad camp is in Maryland / international&grad(like medical school) - DC/ and other research center - Virginia)
all these areas are 1-1:30 away from DC

also University of Maryland has 2 campus as well
One is college park - main undergrad campus
and U of Maryland at Baltimore - it is main campus for grad. school (ex: Dental, medical, law, pharmacy, ect)

If you are thinking about applying to Medical school or dental school, then I would recommend you choose school that has medical school or dental school.

For ex..
In VA - VCU (in richmond) has dental and medical school
UVA & V-Tech - only medical school

In DC - Howard U - Both Med and Dental school
GW and Georgetown - Medical school
**not sure about American university

In MD - UMD - both dental and medical
Johns Hopkins (in Baltimore) - only medical
**there are Towson and few other colleges in MD Baltimore area

I heard Johns Hopkins provide good post-grad program for science and international politics (and engineering) but not sure...

**many people do post-doc at Georgetown as well..but not sure it is easy to get in...