Universities with 6 year med degrees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metalhead1023

High School Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive heard about some medical schools having a program where you can do 2 years of undergraduate then go into med school, Ive had a hard time finding out info on my own through research so I was wondering if you guys could help. I want as much info as possible but do you have to do awesome in high school and is it hard to get into those programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Ive heard about some medical schools having a program where you can do 2 years of undergraduate then go into med school, Ive had a hard time finding out info on my own through research so I was wondering if you guys could help. I want as much info as possible but do you have to do awesome in high school and is it hard to get into those programs?

Yes and yes. They're very rare and very difficult. Most require that you apply directly from HS. Look for med schools with associated undergrads (Penn State, etc).

It's usually 3 years, though- 90 credits.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a very mature and responsible high school student very interested in medicine/science, I would highly RECOMMEND a 6, 7 or 8 year combined program. I am myself a product of a 6 year BS/MD program and loved it. It is so nice to be young, done with college/med school/residency at the age of 26 and have time to enjoy life. I have been working for 2 years, am married, have a house and am able to really enjoy my work and married life. In the meantime, my friends who took the normal route are just getting into residencies. They are still living out of dinky apartments, making ends meet and in general just "trying to get done with it already". There is nothing wrong with a traditional path...it just takes longer and as it is, medicine is a long, long road. Most countires don't have undergrad requirements at all...they just get you straight into med school out of high school. A traditional 4 years of college is necessary for someone who needs time to mature and see what else is out there...which is probably 95% of the world.

So I'm not to saying that the 6 or 7 year way is the right path for everyone. It is difficult and you have to be super dedicated. You may have to work through summers in undergrad unless you have lots of AP credit. But it definitely has its PROS - mainly avoiding the hassles of having to constantly make your CV look stellar during college by doing activities you may not really care about, having to work your a$$ off for MCATs (most 6 year programs have minimum or no requirements for MCATs), and of course, getting done early. Believe me, its so nice to be able to enjoy married life after finishing residency instead of constantly juggling school, work, and life. Some people even have to juggle kids into this equation and I don't know how they do it.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

1) You are committing yourself to a med school you make not like.
2) If you find you don't like medicine, you don't have a bachelor's degree to fall back on.
3) 99.9% of people aren't cut out for med school at age 20.

These 3 reasons I have listed above are the 3 problems I see with most 6-7 year BS/MD programs. If you find that doesn't apply to you, then they really are a good alternative to the traditional route. However, keep in mind that college really is the last time you'll be able to say you are "free" of obligations until you're done with your residency.

IIT has a B.S/D.O i think

6year

1) You are committing yourself to a med school you make not like. but isn't that the case with any med school you go to...i mean there are choices when you apply to these programs so you pick what you like
2) If you find you don't like medicine, you don't have a bachelor's degree to fall back on.um, i did. i had a BS in Chemistry and minor in Spanish...yeah, if you decided you wanted to go a NON-science route, then yes, you're stuck.
3) 99.9% of people aren't cut out for med school at age 20.totally agree!

if you really want to know the programs that are like that....all compiled in one place...purchase the MSAR book..the new edition should be coming out soon...and its a great investment...