University at Buffalo Pharmacy C/O 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amazinglycrazy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Anyone applying to SUNY Buffalo SPPS for Fall 2015? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I'm currently a 3rd year student in the PharmD program. Let me know if you have any questions about the school, application process, etc!

Hello,
I'm currently a 3rd year student in the PharmD program. Let me know if you have any questions about the school, application process, etc!
Hello! I received an offer of interview. Would you please let me know more about the writing sample and speak test? How are they carried out? Also, would you provide some suggestions on preparing the interview?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm currently a P2 in the PharmD program. The writing sample is a writing prompt where you elaborate on a question. An example would be something like, "What are your immediate goals and long term goals?" The speak test is new to this year's interview. You will be interacting with a current student and read a prompt. This will be gauging your speaking proficiency. The interview process is very relaxed! Prepare like you would for any interview and be prepared to answer questions about your goals, what you would do in certain situations, talk about a past experience, etc.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you might have!

Hi! I'm currently a P2 in the PharmD program. The writing sample is a writing prompt where you elaborate on a question. An example would be something like, "What are your immediate goals and long term goals?" The speak test is new to this year's interview. You will be interacting with a current student and read a prompt. This will be gauging your speaking proficiency. The interview process is very relaxed! Prepare like you would for any interview and be prepared to answer questions about your goals, what you would do in certain situations, talk about a past experience, etc.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you might have!

Thanks very much for your reply!

Hello! I received an offer of interview. Would you please let me know more about the writing sample and speak test? How are they carried out? Also, would you provide some suggestions on preparing the interview?
Thanks!

What are your GPA and PCAT scores? Im just asking b/c I applied also and want to see what my chances are of an interview

What are your GPA and PCAT scores? Im just asking b/c I applied also and want to see what my chances are of an interview
My GPA is 4.0 and PCAT is 98 percentile. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Woops, I should have posted the questions that you can prepare from here, lol. I accidently posted it on the 2018 website.

1) How do you react to adversity/stress?
2) What was the funniest thing you encountered with your roommate? How did you react?
3) Name a current issue (worldwide, local, etc) and describe your opinion.

I forgot the other 3 questions, but you are looking at a timeline of roughly 30 minutes with the speaker. You will also be asked to do an arbitrary group activity where you pick an "ethical position" and present it against another group. And don't even stress about the essay, just write cohesive and legible English.

Tips during the 1 on 1 interview: don't memorize answers. I tried to prepare answers to 30 sample questions and none of them even were close to the topic brought to my attention that day. And just be relaxed! Looking at the decreasing quality of today's pharmacists, I'm sure you will "pass" as long as your speaker can understand you.

HOTELS nearby: look for those located near UB North, Amherst. A shuttle bus should definitely take you near the School of Pharmacy from the hotel. Godspeed!

Thanks very much for your reply!

Just to add to what koldsoup said, I was one of the students who administered the speaking exercise at orientation (they have now moved it to the interview). Basically you read a script and carry on a simple conversation with the current student (I asked my students what they like to do for fun). It is recorded, but the faculty just want to make sure you are proficient in English, so it's not a big deal.

Also, for the interview I would suggest to be familiar with some hot topics in the pharmacy world. For example when I interviewed, pharmacists being able to immunize and Obamacare were 'hot topics' so I was asked about both. This year some topics might be pharmacist provider status.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Hi! May I ask how much time we have to make a decision if we are accepted after the interview? I am scheduled for an interview on Nov 7.

Hi! May I ask how much time we have to make a decision if we are accepted after the interview? I am scheduled for an interview on Nov 7.

I believe we have to make a decision immediately, based on the PharmCAS school info page. I shall see you on Nov 7!

Cool! Are you getting in the 6th or the 7th? If accepted, we can pay a deposit to hold our place in the class and still consider other schools, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you can put in the deposit to hold your spot. I remember having the interview Friday and hearing back Monday and I think they wanted the deposit within a week or two. The deposit will hold your place but if you choose to go elsewhere you will lose the deposit.

Hi! I also have an interview on the 7th. Does anyone know if it is an open or closed file interview?

I, like Koldsoup, am also a P2 at UB. Feel free to contact me if anyone has any questions.
Good luck everyone!

Just had my interview Friday Nov 7 as well. Anybody hear back yet?

Same here. Don't know when they will release the decision.

Got my acceptance email today! It came around 6:30am.

Interviewed on 11/7 and accepted today. WOW! That was fast.

Anyone know when we'll receive our UB Person Number to pay our deposit?

Interviewed on 11/7 and accepted today. WOW! That was fast.

Anyone know when we'll receive our UB Person Number to pay our deposit?

I'm wondering the same thing, haha. I'm waiting for my UB Person Number to pay the deposit.

Congrats all! You'll all probably be receiving a few more emails from the admissions office with more information soon. Good job everyone!

Did people receive their UB person number already? Mine is taking a long time..

Did people receive their UB person number already? Mine is taking a long time..

Yeah, mine was taking a long time too from Graduate Division. All you have to do is call the School of Pharmacy, let them know and they will get it settled for you. I did that and I got my UB Person Number in an hour :)

Yeah, mine was taking a long time too from Graduate Division. All you have to do is call the School of Pharmacy, let them know and they will get it settled for you. I did that and I got my UB Person Number in an hour :)

ohhh ok, thank you! :D

Hey guys. I was wondering if someone could shed some light on stuff we have to get done soon in order to get ready for our first year.

I remember that they told us we should start all our FAFSA material in January. And was wondering if there were any other important deadlines that I am currently not aware of.

We got an email listing the following, but the website is not exactly detailed. Here's the list they provided just in case somebody needs it:
  • Initiate Criminal Background Check
  • Submit Health Forms
  • Complete Prerequisites
  • Send Official Transcripts
  • Review Financial Aid Options
  • Join UB’s Electronic Community
  • Orientation Information and White Coat RSVP
  • Obtain UB Card
  • Course Registration Information
  • Secure Housing
  • Get a Car – Transportation Policy
  • Obtain Parking Permit
  • Submit School Release Form
Thanks!

Is a car really necessary from the 1st year? Can we do without it until rotations start?

A car would be highly recommended. I didn't have a car my first semester but I was able to do IPPEs closer to the campus. Not all preceptors take more than 1 student at a time which is sometimes difficult because one would have to either have a friend drive them to the IPPE location or take public transportation. What I did have a lot of trouble doing was getting groceries, especially since I lived by myself.

In my experience, any car will do. An AWD car would be better for the snow but I don't have one and I get around fine!

Are there a lot of Subaru Sedans out there? Im debating on whether I should get the AWD car over another FWD at the same price except the other has a turbo.

On a side note, has anyone been accepted to schools other than buffalo but has decided to stick with UB SOPPS?

Are there a lot of Subaru Sedans out there? Im debating on whether I should get the AWD car over another FWD at the same price except the other has a turbo.
Two of my buddies have Subaru sedans!

On a side note, has anyone been accepted to schools other than buffalo but has decided to stick with UB SOPPS?

I still have a few more interviews to go to but so far, Buffalo is my top choice.

The only concern I have about Buffalo is the car requirement and snow. I worry that my car might be frequently buried under the snow, requiring me to shovel it out often..

Hello! Accepted to U Buff early November, and also from NC where it rarely snows. How should I prep for snowy roads? Do I have to get the chains for my tires? Or snow tires? Or shovels? Ice picks? When I went for my interview, my taxi driver told me it's necessary to get an auto car starter where you can start your car with a push of a button on your car keys inside of your house but that sounds really expensive to get - poor college student here. Sort of agreeing with Youbee, my concerns with going to UB are also car and snow...but instead of the shoveling work, that I'll crash my car while driving in the snow because I've only ever driven in sun and rain. :(

Hi guys, I will be having my interview this week! I have read the interview survey results on SDN, however, I am still nervous about it...Could anyone who got in or already had their interviews share some experiences? Thanks so much!!

Hello! Accepted to U Buff early November, and also from NC where it rarely snows. How should I prep for snowy roads? Do I have to get the chains for my tires? Or snow tires? Or shovels? Ice picks? When I went for my interview, my taxi driver told me it's necessary to get an auto car starter where you can start your car with a push of a button on your car keys inside of your house but that sounds really expensive to get - poor college student here. Sort of agreeing with Youbee, my concerns with going to UB are also car and snow...but instead of the shoveling work, that I'll crash my car while driving in the snow because I've only ever driven in sun and rain. :(

I have a 2003 RAV 4 and I have a few friends with sedans older than my car. To my knowledge, we have never had a problem with not having an auto starter. They are convenient, but we manage with just waiting. It gives us time to dust off the snow from our cars.

As with the dangers of driving in the snow in Buffalo, I also know a few people who have recently started driving, or have never experienced snow before and have safely gotten through recent snow falls by driving slowly.

Hi jsyou3,
I am only a high school junior, but am considering applying to UB's EA pharmacy program directly from high school. Do you know anyone who has come directly from UB undergraduate through into PharmD program? I would appreciate any advice about this option rather than applying later through PharmCAS. Thanks so much!

Hi jsyou3,
I am only a high school junior, but am considering applying to UB's EA pharmacy program directly from high school. Do you know anyone who has come directly from UB undergraduate through into PharmD program? I would appreciate any advice about this option rather than applying later through PharmCAS. Thanks so much!

Yes, there are quite a few students who go into the PharmD program directly from UB undergraduate.
The Pharmacy EA program is currently 2 years in the undergrad program and 4 years in the Pharmacy program.
When you are applying for the EA program you need to indicate that you are going for the pharmacy major.
After you are accepted into the UB undergrad program, you will need to maintain a GPA of at least 3.3 and after taking all the prerequisite courses you can apply for the 4 year professional program. There will be an interview before being accepted into the program.

Here is the UB website for the EA program with more detailed information.

http://pharmacy.buffalo.edu/academic-programs/pharmd/early-assurance.html

If anything is not addressed in the website or if you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.

Good luck!

Is anyone else torn between UB and another top ranked school?