University at Buffalo vs Stonybrook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIDO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if there is any real difference between the two schools when it comes to pre-med programs and medical school acceptances?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi LIDO,

With regard to the undergraduate institutions: Can't speak specifically for these two SUNYs, as I went to SUNY Albany, but I think that you would be fine going to either. I'm sure that there would be some institutional preference for their own undergrads if you were to apply to either of the medical schools, but I'm also sure that such preference extends to most SUNY alumni or NY state residents. Wherever you decide to go, it's all about what you make of your experience that will ultimately determine where you'll end up. As far as the percentages of students from each school that get acceptances, well, this may be a question for the pre-health advisor at each school, as I'm sure that they have statistics. But I wouldn't rely heavily on these stats because they may vary from year to year (since the actual numbers of people who apply each year change, and some people (who like me) apply several years after graduating from college). The only difference that I may offer is based on rumor - that Stony Brook's science pre-med science program is hard core. Haven't heard too much about Buffalo.

With regard to the medical schools: Overall, I think that it comes down to location and how you vibe with a particular school. I interviewed and was accepted at both Stony Brook and Buffalo for medical school. They both have great research opportunities and faculty/staff that are very supportive of their students, but I liked the curriculum at Stony Brook a little more. Also, Buffalo is very inexpensive when compared to LI (which shouldn't be too much of a factor if you're living on campus or at home the first few years anyway). I won't speak about weather since anyone who grows up in the Northeast is generally used to the cold weather (although the sheer amount of snow may be shocking for someone who hasn't lived Upstate).

Best with your decision,
H&T