University at Buffalo Waitlist Position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmno82

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out today that I am in the upper middle portion of the UB waitlist. Mr. Rosso said that with this position I definitely would have been accepted in previous years, but they obviously can't guarantee anything for this year. I just thought I would let you all know that they are giving out this info now, so if you find out where you are on that list or have any other comments let me know. Hopefully waitlist movement will be equal to the past few years.

Members don't see this ad.

just curious-- when did you interview? i am waiting for their desicion.

I interviewed on September 10th and was waitlisted in mid October. Don't quote me on this, but I think they send out acceptances, waitlists, and rejections every 6-8 weeks. The next batch should be in mid December... I hope you have better luck than I did!

Members don't see this ad :)
mr. rosso told me that i was in the upper portion of the waitlist...i'm wondering if this info is valid, though...i don't see why there would be reason to lie, but at the same time, there doesn't seem to be much reason to tell the truth...it seems like it would be awkward for him to say, "actually you are at the bottom of the waitlist and really don't have much of a chance" which suggests that all other information he released could be questionable.

I agree with what you're saying, but I guess it's all we have to go on. We will find out our definite position (or at least better than what we have now) in March/April on the alternate list, which is a shorter version of the wailist. If we end up on the bottom or lower middle portion, then we know that UB was not being truthful. I will be very disappointed in the conduct of the school for leading students in the wrong direction if this is the case. Is UB a top choice for you too?

We will find out our definite position (or at least better than what we have now) in March/April on the alternate list, which is a shorter version of the wailist.

I was told yesterday when I called that I am an alternate. Does that mean that I'm not waitlisted? Is that better than being waitlisted? I'm so confused.

I just called and they wouldn't give me my position on the waitlist. :(

Originally posted by ZekeMD
I just called and they wouldn't give me my position on the waitlist. :(

Sorry about the waitlist guys, but I know that Buffalo takes alot from the waitlist. From last year, 70% of those who interviewed got accepted!

Originally posted by ZekeMD
I was told yesterday when I called that I am an alternate. Does that mean that I'm not waitlisted? Is that better than being waitlisted? I'm so confused.

UB has a tendency to use a lot of words that mean the same thing (i.e. hold list, wait list, alternate list, etc.) I spoke to Mr. Rosso and other students about this and they said that in March/April the waitlist (hold list) gets shortened and is called an alternate list. I was not under the impression that they were going to do this before the end of the interview season because of the conversations I had with Mr. Rosso. If we get on the alternate list we receive a letter via snail mail describing what thrid we are on. Top third I think is called top/high/highest priority (all meaning the same thing), and the middle and bottom thirds are the normal alternate list. If you haven't received a letter stating this, it should probably be assumed that you're still on a regular waitlist.

Also, it's luck of the draw when it comes to finding out where you are on the list as of now. Sometimes they give out info, and sometimes they don't. I spoke directly with Mr. Rosso the few times I called and he told me everything I wanted to know within reason. It's possible that no one else is allowed to give this info out, but I'm not sure on that. Just keep calling and ask to speak with Mr. Rosso.

Well, just so you know, i called and was told i was in the bottom 1/3. i withdrew soon after that.

Hey everyone,

I sent a letter yesterday removing myself from their first year class. Hope the spot goes to one of you who really wants it!

Best of luck.

Originally posted by Ischemia
Hey everyone,

I sent a letter yesterday removing myself from their first year class. Hope the spot goes to one of you who really wants it!

Best of luck.

I also recently removed myself from the first year class at UB. It was a tough decision to make because I liked UB a lot when I visited it, but I had to make a choice. And I figured the quicker I decided, the quicker another spot will open up for another applicant.

Good luck guys.

Originally posted by Chirurgien
I also recently removed myself from the first year class at UB. It was a tough decision to make because I liked UB a lot when I visited it, but I had to make a choice. And I figured the quicker I decided, the quicker another spot will open up for another applicant.

Good luck guys.

Yeah, it was a tough choice. I really liked my visit there. Everyone was so nice, and you can't beat getting out of there by 1pm on most days.

Out of curiosity, which school did you decide on over UB?

Originally posted by Ischemia
Yeah, it was a tough choice. I really liked my visit there. Everyone was so nice, and you can't beat getting out of there by 1pm on most days.

Out of curiosity, which school did you decide on over UB?

I chose Stony Brook

Thanks to all of those who withdrew from UB. I know that many people hold multiple acceptances for financial packages or other reasons, and they are completely in their right to do so. However, I'm very appreciative that you have allowed another person to accept your spot... hopefully I'll be one of them someday soon. Good luck in medical school and beyond!