University Branches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Southern_Weather

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN Members,
I have done extensive research on your forum and I have learned a lot! This is a fantastic forum :) I finally registered to be a member because I was not able to find information in regard to some things that I am curious about. I am a pre-med student ( I am still undecided in regard to MD/ DO) but that is not relevent to this post. I am in my sophmore year at my local community college, MGCCC. I will obtain my Associates degree and transfer to the University of Southern Mississippi in hopes of either attending the new osteopatic school in Hattiesburg or the Allopathic school in Jackson. Now, my question is in regard to the USM branch in Long Beach, MS. Long Beach is significantly closer to where I live than Hattiesburg. Granted, I will have to move eventually to attend either school but I twould like to do all my undergrad close to home. So does it matter if I attend a branch of a university instead of the traditional one that is in Hattiesburg? Will Medical schools frown upon it? The branch is a lot smaller than the traditional one and has significantly fewer classes but they do have all the classes that I want to take. Any response is greatly appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad.

As long as it's a 4-year university, I doubt schools will care as long as you take the pre-reqs and do well. One thing to consider is that satellite/branch campuses could be made up of mostly commuters and you might be limited on extracurricular activities.

My community college is 20 miles from my house and the USM branch is 50, not too much further ;) I just graduated from a CNA course that I also took at MGCCC and I hope to gain my clinical experience from working as a CNA. The other activites that I have planned are to do extensive shadowing ( probably at Singing River Hospital in Pascagoula which is like 10 miles from my house) and volunteering where I can find it. I'm thinking that my clinical experience, aside from my GPA and MCAT, will be my strongest advocate. On top of that, the medical school in Jackson has roughly 300 applicants and around 120 get accepted :eek: ( source: personal call to admissions at the school)

Members don't see this ad :)
My community college is 20 miles from my house and the USM branch is 50, not too much further ;) I just graduated from a CNA course that I also took at MGCCC and I hope to gain my clinical experience from working as a CNA. The other activites that I have planned are to do extensive shadowing ( probably at Singing River Hospital in Pascagoula which is like 10 miles from my house) and volunteering where I can find it. I'm thinking that my clinical experience, aside from my GPA and MCAT, will be my strongest advocate. On top of that, the medical school in Jackson has roughly 300 applicants and around 120 get accepted :eek: ( source: personal call to admissions at the school)

Keep in mind that every pre-med has volunteering and shadowing. Do you also have some non-medical activities? These usually set applicants apart from the crowd. That's what I meant about extracurriculars at the branch campus - clubs to join, etc.

How do the research opportunities differ between the two campuses? You should be able to come up with your own volunteer and clinical exposure activities at either place.

Keep in mind that every pre-med has volunteering and shadowing. Do you also have some non-medical activities? These usually set applicants apart from the crowd. That's what I meant about extracurriculars at the branch campus - clubs to join, etc.

I definitely intend on joining any relevent clubs that they have to offer, hopefully a pre-med one :p I am also in the Phi Theta Kappa honor society ( I don't know if that counts for much on a med school application but it can't hurt, right). Anything else that you can think of that could help? I really appreciate it :)

I definitely intend on joining any relevent clubs that they have to offer, hopefully a pre-med one :p I am also in the Phi Theta Kappa honor society ( I don't know if that counts for much on a med school application but it can't hurt, right). Anything else that you can think of that could help? I really appreciate it :)

You should do whatever you are interested in. A pre-med club is great (work your way up to leadership, run some meetings, act as mentor to younger students) but if you're really interested in music, reading, running, anything...join (or start) a club or interest group. While med schools want to see an interest in medicine, they want to see that you have a life outside of medicine as well.

I'm not saying that you're required to have non-medical activities, but it will definitely help your application and will most likely be a talking point in your interviews.