Aug 21, 2018
Hi all, I've been out of my undergraduate institution for 4 years now. There was a time I performed very badly and I swear I remember receiving notice that I was being put on academic probation. I remember having a mandatory meeting with several advisors to talk about it, but other than my memory there seems to be no proof this ever occurred.

On AMCAS it indicates we must disclose institutional actions even if it did not result in a notation on your transcript. Unless I'm crazy, I was certain this happened yet when I called my advisor she indicated they had no recollection/record of such action ever happening. She has records of me meeting with them to discuss my academic timeline, but no internal records regarding disciplinary action. Even after reviewing my grades by term she said I never dipped below the limit to warrant AP, so according to her and her supervisor it was not possible for me to have been put under AP.

Perhaps I am mistakenly remembering the nature of what occurred. Maybe what really happened was that I was in danger of academic probation and the meeting was a preventative measure. The only way to find out would be to go through my undergraduate email which has long been deleted.

I'm wondering now what I should do in this case. I do not want to shoot myself in the foot by indicating IA when there wasn't one, and I also don't want to jeopardize myself by indicating I don't have any IA when somehow later on some proof might resurface saying otherwise.

Goro

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Hi all, I've been out of my undergraduate institution for 4 years now. There was a time I performed very badly and I swear I remember receiving notice that I was being put on academic probation. I remember having a mandatory meeting with several advisors to talk about it, but other than my memory there seems to be no proof this ever occurred.

On AMCAS it indicates we must disclose institutional actions even if it did not result in a notation on your transcript. Unless I'm crazy, I was certain this happened yet when I called my advisor she indicated they had no recollection/record of such action ever happening. She has records of me meeting with them to discuss my academic timeline, but no internal records regarding disciplinary action. Even after reviewing my grades by term she said I never dipped below the limit to warrant AP, so according to her and her supervisor it was not possible for me to have been put under AP.

Perhaps I am mistakenly remembering the nature of what occurred. Maybe what really happened was that I was in danger of academic probation and the meeting was a preventative measure. The only way to find out would be to go through my undergraduate email which has long been deleted.

I'm wondering now what I should do in this case. I do not want to shoot myself in the foot by indicating IA when there wasn't one, and I also don't want to jeopardize myself by indicating I don't have any IA when somehow later on some proof might resurface saying otherwise.
Contact the Registrar and ask if there is any IA on your transcript.

About the Ads

SterlingMaloryArcher

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2017
The Commonwealth
Status
Pre-Medical

Schools do it differently but

At My School -
We have Academic Warning, Academic Probation, Good Standing, and Deans List. This is printed below where it says the term and above the list of courses.

One semester I had Academic Warning on my transcript. To my understanding this is not an IA though??

Well, I retook the two courses that were bringing that semesters GPA down. My school lists it but doesn't calculate it in GPA. My other grades were good and where it used to say "Academic Warning" it was retroacively removed & changed to "Deans List" (Which looks really silly with two uncalculated D's or something like that)

Another (better) School -
They have the same things as above but in addition they have an early intervention program where they make plans to salvage the course. My side hoe shamelessly had the paper laying on his desk and it was this checklist of all the criteria he needs to fulfill in order to get X grade. It said something like "Academic Intervention Plan" or something like that. He said he had to go to a meeting but this isn't an IA.

HT2341

2+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Contact the Registrar and ask if there is any IA on your transcript.
I second this statement. I declared a very old IA that was buried in my transcript on my application this cycle that was also very minor and academic in nature. I had confirmed ahead of time with my advisor that it was the right approach. Fast forward a few months and while working on secondaries one particular school required a letter from either my registrar or dean of students about the IA. To make a long story short it took me weeks to get my alma to get the letter out as their answer was repeatedly "we have no record of this and we should have just wiped it from your transcript".

I've done well so far this cycle and it doesn't seem to have had a major impact (if anything it gave me another prompt on my primary to explain my reinvention), but I could have dropped the IA altogether now in hindsight.

About the Ads