University Hospitals/Case Medical Center Accreditation of 6 months?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corolla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, since there's a big thread on U Mich's accreditation length, I hope no one minds if I start one on University Hospitals/Case Medical Center.

It looks like they used to consistently get 4 YEAR accreditations. But for some reason, it's become 6 months. Red flag? They gave some sort of excuses during the interview day. Does anyone have an inside scoop and could confirm that what was cited on interview day was true or possibly could shed more light?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, and does 6 months = probation?

Members don't see this ad :)
no inside info sorry.
in general i don't think you guys should freak too much about a 3 or 4 or 5 year cycle or this or that program going from a 3 to a 4 year cycle etc, but 6 months seems like a red flag to me...
i think theres a UH resident on sdn.... maybe they will speak up ?

no inside info sorry.
in general i don't think you guys should freak too much about a 3 or 4 or 5 year cycle or this or that program going from a 3 to a 4 year cycle etc, but 6 months seems like a red flag to me...
i think theres a UH resident on sdn.... maybe they will speak up ?

The residents at the interview all openly addressed this when I was there. Apparently it was a combination of 6 or so minor problems that were all found together. All of them were fixed immediately and they're just waiting for the 6 months to end so they can get it changed. Some of the problems were things like an attending that was not board certified teaching residents. I can't remember the others, but I do remember that they did not bother me at the time (for whatever that might be worth!).

To me, the Chair seemed like a solid dude. I don't think he's the type of guy that will let this get worse or deteriorate. He seems well connected also, which IMO means something.

cf

I'm a CA2 at Case/UH. We were all shocked with the 6 months accred. As a previous poster mentioned, this was related to several minor citations. NONE were related to duty hours or any sort of resident abuse. One citation was related to an attending who has been here for 35 years not being board certified. Why this became an issue now I don't know. So now this attending only works with CRNAs/AAs Another had to do with attendings covering 3 resident rooms at night or on call. So we hired more attendings and moved the schedule around. I believe the rest were minor things, like documentation of rotation objectives, etc. Our program directors Drs. Norcia and Wallace met with the ACGME to address all of the issues in question, and we all believe our accreditation will be restored to a more appropriate level. The bottom line is, Case/UH is a great place to train, and will continue to be.