University Kentucky, Lexington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs2006

student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope all is well for those of you who are either on the interview trail currently or are getting ready to hit the road in the next couple of months-- Anyone here interview at UK Lexington willing to share their experience? Or if there is anyone who is familiar with the program can share some info about it? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I heard it has only one hospital, whereas University of Louisville has 5 of them

rs2006 said:
Hi all,

I hope all is well for those of you who are either on the interview trail currently or are getting ready to hit the road in the next couple of months-- Anyone here interview at UK Lexington willing to share their experience? Or if there is anyone who is familiar with the program can share some info about it? Thanks

My wife did her IM residency there a few years back. There are two hospitals on site, the university hospital and a VA hospital. You'll have to make up your own mind about whether fewer or larger # hospitals is better. As someone who did his IM prelim year in a program where you rotate through three different hospitals, I can tell you that learning multiple staff groups, medical records, dozens of passwords for EMR/PACS/etc. (not to mention all the driving) can be a major pain in the ass, wherever you are.

For the most part, UK IM residents did med school at UK or Louisville or are from Kentucky, certainly not top tier with some exceptions. However, the program director at UK is awesome (co-wrote the Scut Monkey books).