University of Alabama at Birmingham: A Growing Program or Stagnant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BNSN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am a student at UAB and have a good shot, I think, at getting into the MSTP program here.

My question is -- do you consider UAB to be a growing place or a stagnant one? Has it peaked or does the university have a lot of room for growth?

The undergraduate part of campus has grown tremendously and the university is building a new, enormous radiation oncology building. However, is this level of activity normal for any research university? Or is the growth above average?

I suppose my main concern is that 10 years from now, when I (hopefully!) finish my MD/PhD here, will I be leaving a place that has a growing reputation or one that is floundering? It is well-ranked in terms of NIH funding, but there is always the worry that the surrounding city and state will prevent the university from flourishing.

Thanks.

p.s., I forgot to mention that there has been huge growth in the neurosciences here. New chairs for psych, neurology, neurobiology. And a new neuroscience core center.

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, sorry. I love UAB -- it's given me great opportunities as an undergrad.

I'm just wondering what the growth potential for the school is.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds great!

I'll send you an e-mail after the semester ends at the beginning of next week.

I'm currently in UAB's med school right now. They just transitioned over to the new integrated systems curriculum; we as the first class taking it bore the brunt of a few kinks, but the administration has dedicated tremendous time and effort into optimizing everything.

UAB has a tremendous amount of cutting edge research going on, and should continue to acquire even more. Like any bigger city, Birmingham has its more run-down parts, but as a whole (and where you would most likely be spending most of your time) you'll find it be a modern, pleasant city with a decent amount to do. Cost of living is much more reasonable than cities containing virtually every other top school.