University of Alabama Birmingham

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shades McCool

Kal-el
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on UAB? I could probably get into UAB without any problems because it is my state school. It would also be pretty cheap too.

My question is would it be worth turning down more expensive private schools to go to UAB? Is the school good enough to do so?

Any help would be appreciated.

:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

depends on how good the private school is. I applied out of state, but won't be going (although they have yet to get me a decision). Definitely worth checking out and thinking a while about.

No one has an opinion on the actual school?

:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
i am currently applying to UAB and personally consider it an exceptional school. i think it has been consistently ranked within the top 25 for the past few years. for the price, ease of acceptance (in your case), and reputation, i don't think you should think twice about applying.

Shades,

I have been accepted to both UVA and Rochester. After interviewing at UAB, I seriously am considering dropping both of my other acceptances if Alabama gives me a shot. I was very impressed with the facilities. The new library and student services buildings were great. Also, the students were incredibly friendly, and the price is amazing, especially for in-staters. If you're purely looking at reputation, UASOM is well respected. Their match results compare favorably with both UVA and Rochester, which both are considered excellent programs. So unless you are struggling with a decision between Harvard and UAB, I would take a long look at what you are going to truly gain from going to a private school, (other than massive debt). In the end, you've got to go where you feel most comfortable. Good luck!

Shades; you asked this before :)

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48488&highlight=alabama

Your best bet for opinions is to contact the UAB committee:

JPaikman, Mary Jane Watson, Bamaflip [MSI]
Hercules [MSII]

and a couple others whose names escape my mind.

The school is putting up within in the next few years [ie by the time you get to clinics]

North Pavilion [new hospital]
Children's & Women's Initiative [new hospital]
Shelby Interdisciplinary Research [yeah research]
New education tower addition to Volker [opens this spring]

The educational facilities will be upgraded vastly above what we have now; the clinic experience will be vastly upgraded as well by your 3rd and 4th years.

Definitely one of the best state medical schools out there. UCSF, UCLA, Michigan, or Washington might pique UAB out, but the as far as facilities and reputation are concerned, its the equal ofUTSWs or Pitts out there.

We really have a medical-industrial complex out here, with many of the opportunities [and the reputation] you might find at a private institution. If you can believe a biased voice, definitely one of the most underrated places out there.

Yours,

Jason

I've had 12 interview invites and I'm an out of stater, although a southerner. I thought UAB was very impressive and would say it's number 2 on my list right now. If it's your state school, I'd say definitely absolutely consider it. Great reputation, friendly students from what I saw, in the south (of course, you have to decide if you want that), good match rates, in a decent city, low tuition. seems a pretty solid deal

there are a lot of hot girls here in the south.

If you have the chance to go to UAB, are not from a wealthy family, and pay instate tuition, you should go there unless you get into a top ten (or perhaps top five).