University of Alberta and UBCO questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jmanna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am new here and I am in desperate need of some answers as i have some decisions to make. I'm from Edmonton and just moved to Kelowna around christmas time with my wife. We both planned to attend UBCO Sept 2010. I was interested in taking Earth sciences and have now changed my mind and i am very interested in pharmacy. This leaves me with 2 options. Well 1 option as my wife will not move to vancouver and is already homesick. So moving back to edmonton is the only option. The move back however is going to be for Sept 2011 which leave me with a year to play with. Now my questions are: How do you get into pharmacy at U of A with only one year of undergrad studies?? From what i have read in the prerequisites its impossible. Can a person be admitted with the "Pre-pharm" available at UBCO?
Thank you so much for you time

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to U of A for pharmacy this year and let me tell you, from first hand experience, they are not going to make exceptions for you unless you have all the pre-requisites. I have all of the pre-requisites, but tried to use my AP English credit as part of my English pre-req. It didn't even occur to me that they would not accept it as all of the other pharm schools I am applying to are and so far they are not budging. I am trying to appeal it because I believe that it is equivalent to their requirements, but I don't think I am going to have much luck.

That being said, I've heard from other people that its the same with the other pre-requisites too. If you don't have it, they will immediately reject you. So I'm sorry to say that unless you do some very strategic scheduling in the next year or so and do all of your bio, chem, orgo, biochem, stats, math, english before the deadline, you should probably plan for an extra year.