University of Alberta - Class of 2017 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crosbyfan87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd make a thread for any Canadians (and specifically Albertans) lurking around in this forum.

So who's applying? What are your stats?

Two components of admission:
#1) GPA
#2) Letter of Intent

Letter of Intent (not posted yet) and the application are due on March 1st. Transcripts are due in mid-June.

Decision will be made at the end of June/early July.

For more info, see this:
http://www.pharm.ualberta.ca/Prospe...Admission Requirements_BSC_Pharm_Program.aspx

EDIT: It looks like another component of admission has been added this year. Pharmacist consultation form is highly recommended by the Faculty.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Letter of Intent has been posted on the website now! *talking to myself*

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi im currently a first year student covering all the prereq courses in a year, my gpa is looking to be around a 3.6 but I had math this semester which is my worst subject. Without it I would have been around a 3.8. Does this sound competitive enough?

Last edited:
Is anybody OP?
I was just wondering how you figured out if your courses were transferrable (especially English)?

Last edited:
Is anybody from out-of-province?
I was just wondering how you figured out if your courses were transferrable (especially English)?
Im in province what school do you go to though because I do know how to find equivalent courses for schools like UBC. Also I know OOP students need over a 3.7 normally to be considered a competitive applicant

Hi im currently a first year student covering all the prereq courses in a year, my gpa is looking to be around a 3.6 but I had math this semester which is my worst subject. Without it I would have been around a 3.8. Does this sound competitive enough?

Yes, it sounds fairly competitive. Make sure you do a good job on the letter. Are you an IP?

Is anybody from out-of-province?

Contact the faculty.

Im in province what school do you go to though because I do know how to find equivalent courses for schools like UBC. Also I know OOP students need over a 3.7 normally to be considered a competitive applicant

Yeah, OOPs typically need 3.7+... and the real number will likely depend on the strength of the applicant pool in a given year.

Yes, it sounds fairly competitive. Make sure you do a good job on the letter. Are you an IP?
Yea I have volunteer hours at the hospital and have shadowed pharmacists so Im hoping to write a decent letter and hoping to get around a 3.7 to round of the yea but an am IP which does help if you have a lower gpa.

Im IP and I'm currently in my third year of Health Sciences.

Anticipated prereq GPA: 3.85 (if MDSC 407 fulfills the statistics requirement; I still have not received a reply from the U of A about that)

Experience: I work at the back counter of the campus pharmacy and do pharmacological research during the summer.

I also do a bunch of extra curricular activities, but they apparently don't matter since there is no place to list all of them on the application.

Fingers crossed for getting in this year :rolleyes:

Did anyone apply last year and end up on the wait list?

Also, what other schools did everyone apply to this year?

Who all wrote the PCAT?

Im IP and I'm currently in my third year of Health Sciences.

Anticipated prereq GPA: 3.85 (if MDSC 407 fulfills the statistics requirement; I still have not received a reply from the U of A about that)

Experience: I work at the back counter of the campus pharmacy and do pharmacological research during the summer.

I also do a bunch of extra curricular activities, but they apparently don't matter since there is no place to list all of them on the application.

Fingers crossed for getting in this year :rolleyes:

Did you already apply then? :confused:

Im also applying

GPA close to 3.7, some pharmacy experience at hospital, 4th year
OPP

How many OPPs get accepted every year?

website said that there is no preference for IPs only marks and GPA matter

also I have a question

How much are we supposed to write for letter of intent?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Im also applying

OPP

also I have a question

Fill up the space. If you leave it empty, it is looked at negatively.

Also, Panty Raider, I can't believe you were rejected last year with that GPA. I'm nervous.

Does anyone know if/how the letter is offically scored, or what % is counts for your application. I'm assuming that no one last year got any kind feedback..... I know I didn't. My rejection letter didn't even come til the end of Sept.

I've already written and submitted my LOI for this year and compared to my old one I'd have to say it is leaps and margins above last years, especiallly with all the added experience I've gotten the last year. I just don't know if this will be enough to compensate for my lower GPA.

There is space thats visible, however you can go on without limit for every section. I was wondering if we can go over visible space?

thanks

Im also applying

OPP

also I have a question

OOP are suggested to have a 3.7 where as IP are 3.5 (but the higher the better) and last year somewhere around
EDIT: 5 were accepted 3 years ago and 18 were accepted 2 years ago

If IPs are preferred then why Admissions say that residency status does not matter?

If IPs are preferred then why Admissions say that residency status does not matter?

In the Pharmacy Information sheet on the ualberta website it says OP's are suggested to have around a 3.7 but just like any application the GPA as long as its competitive is not the only thing, around a 3.7 sounds great do a good letter of a intent and you will be competitive which is all you can ask for! I wouldnt say IPs are preferred in the same way that they are for U of Manitoba or even Dalhousie If you have the correct GPA they will take you regardless.

Heres the link its helpful with questions so you know its coming from the school not people who dont know forsure!

http://www.pharm.ualberta.ca/Prospe...uate_Students/Frequently_Asked_Questions.aspx

Last edited:
Does anyone know if/how the letter is offically scored, or what % is counts for your application. I'm assuming that no one last year got any kind feedback..... I know I didn't. My rejection letter didn't even come til the end of Sept.

I've already written and submitted my LOI for this year and compared to my old one I'd have to say it is leaps and margins above last years, especiallly with all the added experience I've gotten the last year. I just don't know if this will be enough to compensate for my lower GPA.

Talked to the main lady at the Pharmacy student services, and she said they aren't allowed to tell us. I've heard 10%-15% weight from a lot of people, but that could just be totally false.

I talked to a first year Pharmacy student, and she said the average GPA last year was 3.62. She also knows someone who got rejected with a 4.0 GPA :eek:, so I suppose the letter makes a big difference.

I know they say that they don't differentiate between IPs and OOPs, but if you look at the statistics, it's pretty clear as to who gets in.

There is space thats visible, however you can go on without limit for every section. I was wondering if we can go over visible space?

thanks

Hmm.. no idea. I haven't really typed stuff into that actual letter yet. I've only been doing some questions on Word.

Talked to the main lady at the Pharmacy student services, and she said they aren't allowed to tell us. I've heard 10%-15% weight from a lot of people, but that could just be totally false.

I talked to a first year Pharmacy student, and she said the average GPA last year was 3.62. She also knows someone who got rejected with a 4.0 GPA :eek:, so I suppose the letter makes a big difference.

I know they say that they don't differentiate between IPs and OOPs, but if you look at the statistics, it's pretty clear as to who gets in.

Last year I heard was a weak pool of applicants though, ive heard of averages being closer to 3.8, Id say the letter helps differentiate between people with similar academic marks but you'd have to raise some red flags to be rejected with a 4.0, also you have to look at course load (which they do) I know a girl with a 3.8 who got accepted second last week of august because she didnt have 5 courses each semester her first year, but did her second, I also know a girl who had 3.6 and was in first round, it all depends Id say everyone needs to stop playing stats games in their heads and just try to put forward the best application they can, unfortunately selection is out of our hands! Theres no shame in getting rejected from Ualberta pharm, most do, you just gotta come back stronger the next year :) best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
so not having all years of full course load puts you into disadvantage?

This year I don't take full course load because I don't see a point in wasting more money and risking GPA
I'm 4th year

Last edited:
Last year I had a 3.68 prereq GPA. I took 2 higher level courses to bring it up.

so not having all years of full course load puts you into disadvantage?

This year I don't take full course load because I don't see a point in wasting more money and risking GPA
I'm 4th year

What I was told was that you must have 1 year of 30 credits. I didn't do a full course load in my first year, but I'm doing it this year, obviously. Hopefully, I'm at no disadvantage.

Last year I had a 3.68 prereq GPA. I took 2 higher level courses to bring it up.

Ah, okay. Good luck this year!

Well they look at how your courses are distributed because its easier to get a 3.8 gpa with only 1 prereq or with only 3 or 4 courses than a couple prereqs and 5 courses. They are looking to make sure those accepted can keep up with the course load in pharm, that being said this girl got in who didnt have her last 2 years at 30 credits. Like I said the way they chose applicants isn't known so I hesitate to say anything forsure because I dont know you can only look at previous years and guess, dont lose sleep over it :)

Well, they calculate the following statistics:

- Cumulative GPA (last 2 years, or the only 2 if you're in second year like me!)
- Pre-requisite GPA
- GPA the year(s) you took 30 credits

So they take these three numbers, and rank people. Read the LOI, and select ~90 people. Then they wait (any reference letters, spring course people), and they select the remaining 40... and those LOIs go under even more scrutiny, I would think.

Everyone, however, finds out at the same time though.

Source:
For calculations - Pharmacy student services lady
Selection process - 1st year Pharmacy student

Well, they calculate the following statistics:

- Cumulative GPA (last 2 years, or the only 2 if you're in second year like me!)
- Pre-requisite GPA
- GPA the year(s) you took 30 credits

So they take these three numbers, and rank people. Read the LOI, and select ~90 people. Then they wait (any reference letters, spring course people), and they select the remaining 40... and those LOIs go under even more scrutiny, I would think.

Everyone, however, finds out at the same time though.

Source:
For calculations - Pharmacy student services lady
Selection process - 1st year Pharmacy student

The selection process doesnt sound correct, their website specifically states they don't start until they have received all transcripts in june so spring course people would be in the normal pool of applications. So for first years they only look at one overall gpa I assume?

The selection process doesnt sound correct, their website specifically states they don't start until they have received all transcripts in june so spring course people would be in the normal pool of applications. So for first years they only look at one overall gpa I assume?

Yeah, I don't know, but that's what she told me.

Yeah, for first years, they can only look at your cumulative GPA, which would also be the pre-requisite GPA, unless that person got AP credits and took other courses to fulfill 30 credits.

I talked to admissions now

1st----you can't write more than there is visible space in LOI
2nd----years of part time studies are not included in GPA
3rd ----references are needed if two people have same scores

Everybody done with LOI?

I'm personally handing mine next week! :D

Everybody done with LOI?

I'm personally handing mine next week! :D

Sent it in almost a month ago and status is now "Completed" :cool: feels great to be done :D especially after 4x applications! Now the long wait until June....;)

Did anyone from U of A go to the presentation that they held? What did they talk about?

Anyone concerned about job prospects for pharmacists? The field seems to be getting saturated.

Anyone concerned about job prospects for pharmacists? The field seems to be getting saturated.

Absolutely not! Especially in Canada, where there are so many jobs, that there isn't even a need for something like a union, ect. You can virtually work almost wherever you want, and it's almost always guaranteed that a better offer is only just around the corner.

Now, in the U.S., that may be a different story, but I can't really comment on it effectively because of my limited knowledge on the subject, but you have to remember that they do have a private health care system down there, and WAY more schools. I'm sure that would/could factor into it.

Anything in the health care field is usually a safe bet. It's not like the business sector due to Boom and Bust. Health care would/should never slow down, as long a people want to keep on living longer...;)

Yeah, I've been told that by a lot of people, but the belief is... if you are okay with moving out of big cities, there are plenty of jobs.

Ideally, I'd like to complete BSc. Pharmacy and then do a residency because clinical pharmacy is what I really want to do.

Sent it in almost a month ago and status is now "Completed" :cool: feels great to be done :D especially after 4x applications! Now the long wait until June....;)

Did anyone from U of A go to the presentation that they held? What did they talk about?

I went it was too late for anyone applying this year, more of a if you are looking into it seminar. Only useful thing I took from it was that 124 out of the 130 successful applicants last year were albertans so thats good for us IP's!

they only need references if you and another applicant have the exactly same stats

I doubt any will have same stats

they only need references if you and another applicant have the exactly same stats

I doubt any will have same stats

True, but even though the pharmacy student services lady said that they don't discriminate between people with degrees and 1/2 years of university, I'm still a little worried about that. :scared:

Last edited:
You would need the exact same GPA and mark on your letter of intent you can send one in if you are nervous but everyone Ive talked to has pretty much said don't bother! But even having a degree doesn't help you? I would have assumed having higher level courses would have helped!

You would need the exact same GPA and mark on your letter of intent you can send one in if you are nervous but everyone Ive talked to has pretty much said don't bother! But even having a degree doesn't help you? I would have assumed having higher level courses would have helped!

Nope. She said that as long as you have the pre-reqs and a 30 credit year, it does not matter. Though if the stats and letter are same, I think they would probably go with the person with a degree.

Hmmm something to keep in mind when making a back up schedule for next year just in case!

Last edited:
Hmmm something to keep in mind when making a back up schedule for next year just in case! Thanks! also did anyone else notice the spelling mistake on #5 of the letter of intent?

Yeah, she said you can take all 100 level courses for all they care in your second year... that might not be the best idea if you don't get into pharmacy though, haha.

Yes, I did. It's funny because the lady said, "Please make sure there are no grammatical or spelling errors because we talk them seriously." LOL.

Yeah, she said you can take all 100 level courses for all they care in your second year... that might not be the best idea if you don't get into pharmacy though, haha.

Yes, I did. It's funny because the lady said, "Please make sure there are no grammatical or spelling errors because we talk them seriously." LOL.

Well I would definitely try to bring up an A- or two to an A but unfortunately the only thing I did bad in was math and I have no hope of understanding a higher level math :( So I will probably focus on 1 course each semester and then take some random options for a high cumulative ahah

Last edited:
Well I would definitely try to bring up an A- or two to an A but unfortunately the only thing I did bad in was math and I have no hope of understanding a higher level math :( So I will probably focus on 1 course each semester and then take some random options for a high cumulative ahah and I know right that and the wording does change the question ....

Well, let's hope you don't have to... ;)

Okay.. here are my stats.
4th year uofa student.
Pre-req GPA: 3.64
2 year GPA: 3.9
(out of the 4 years at uni- only one year has been a full 30-credit year; That's gonna be a major disadvantage)

Pharmacy experience...shadowing, ext. 3 solid ref letters.

Want this so bad and its really stressing me out...

Last edited:
Okay.. here are my stats.
4th year uofa student.
Pre-req GPA: 3.68
2 year GPA: 3.9
(out of the 4 years at uni- only one year has been a full 30-credit year; That's gonna be a major disadvantage)

Pharmacy experience...shadowing, ext. 3 solid ref letters.

Want this so bad and its really stressing me out...

If your pre-req gpa is coming from those partial years and your cumulative is then your defs going to have a bit against you but a good letter of intent could easily have you in. I think we all stress about it at times but dont worry eventually if we want it bad enough we will get there! Best of luck