University of Alberta Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zohaibab

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Canadian applicants to the U of Alberta, report here and get this thing started. I am sick of seeing 10 page UBC threads from last year! I am a Toronto resident, but U of A is my first choice for pharmacy (11 out of the past 17 years, the top pharmacy student in board exams has been from U of A ;) ). They don't have any provincial quotas either, so I'm quite hopeful of making it in with my research and pharmacy volunteering experience along with what I consider quite a decent GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm quite hopeful of making too

Hey Fitnesfan, what are your stats like and how much importance do you think they grant to research and volunteer experience/job shadowing? I would love an Albertan perspective since I am applying as a Toronto resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
Canadian applicants to the U of Alberta, report here and get this thing started. I am sick of seeing 10 page UBC threads from last year! I am a Toronto resident, but U of A is my first choice for pharmacy (11 out of the past 17 years, the top pharmacy student in board exams has been from U of A ;) ). They don't have any provincial quotas either, so I'm quite hopeful of making it in with my research and pharmacy volunteering experience along with what I consider quite a decent GPA.

Hey, has anybody got any news yet? I know that the commitee was schedule to meet up on June 25th, but dont know when we will get the result from them.

Hey, has anybody got any news yet? I know that the commitee was schedule to meet up on June 25th, but dont know when we will get the result from them.

I got into U of T pharmacy, so U of Alberta is out for me. I am certain of gaining a spot at UAlberta too, so I hope I am able to help out a waitlister since I won't be attending UAlberta. Vqanh, have you called up or emailed Gladys McIntyre yet? She might be able to give you the decision on your application now.

I got into U of T pharmacy, so U of Alberta is out for me. I am certain of gaining a spot at UAlberta too, so I hope I am able to help out a waitlister since I won't be attending UAlberta. Vqanh, have you called up or emailed Gladys McIntyre yet? She might be able to give you the decision on your application now.

Of course I did thought of email Gladys but I'm scared that she would say I am rejected!:scared:

Of course I did thought of email Gladys but I'm scared that she would say I am rejected!:scared:

Oh good God! Don't be a baby :D. Call her up and ask.

Oh good God! Don't be a baby :D. Call her up and ask.

Hey Zohaibab, have you got the letter from UoA yet? Gladys told me that letters were sent out last week to ppl who are accepted into the program.

Oh man, I hope I see a letter today!

Hey Zohaibab, have you got the letter from UoA yet? Gladys told me that letters were sent out last week to ppl who are accepted into the program.

Not yet, but I'm expecting one soon. It would hurt me a lot to reject that school if I do get accepted (wanted to move to Alberta badly), but University of Toronto has its perks. Best of luck to you two!

I don't get why they don't send immediate acceptance/rejection e-mails like a normal school would. :)

HI
has anyone here heard yet whether or not they got accepted
I am still waiting for my letter !

no, nothing yet, and worst of all, they don't reply email

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my letter today, so all of you should be getting yours soon :D!

Got an acceptance letter today. Will be declining it by tomorrow :( . I hope I'm able to help out a fellow SDN'er that way.

So acceptance letters were sent out before rejection letters? Am I reading this right? I dont see why they wouldn't send them out at the same time..

So acceptance letters were sent out before rejection letters? Am I reading this right? I dont see why they wouldn't send them out at the same time..

No idea dude. From the UBC thread, I can deduce that UBC follows this policy (acceptance e-mails followed by rejection e-mails), but I don't know what the situation with wait-listers is at U of A. Best of luck.

Nice .. if you got yours yesterday, there's still a chance I'll get one today. I just figured it would've arrived earlier this week and was doubting my chances once Friday rolled in.. Yay, hope is still alive!

I think I did not make it this year :( Good luck to the rest of you tho.

i got my letter yesterday. but yeah, i'm not accepting the invitation because i'm trying to get a deferral for next year's enrollment. i talked to a friend of mine before i got the letter and he said that they start extending offers beginning of july but people reject the acceptance and stuff so letters can still be sent up until mid august. and yeah, if you are not accepted, you just won't hear from them, no rejection letters (which is pretty strange imo).

I live in BC so do you think that i will get my letter sometime next week ? Or did all the letters get recived this week ?
thanks for the help ......now im starting to worry :scared:

Oh and i also wanted to mention
that i emailed gladys about admission on wed and she never emailed me back
also i checked my bear tracks account and under application status it still says " Decision Pending "

what do u guys think this means
does it me that i am rejected or what ?

Me too. Decision pending too. I think I did not make it this year. My pre-rep GPA is only 3.58. cummulative GPA 3.6, lots of volunteer experience (pharm-related and non-related too) BUT I am an international student. Sometimes Canadian universities make me feel like it is my fault to be a foreigner in this country.
Anywayz, this is my last time applying for Pharmacy cuz I'll go into Accounting after this. Business is always more suitable for girls:D Biochemistry-related stuff just drives me crazy.

Oh and i also wanted to mention
that i emailed gladys about admission on wed and she never emailed me back
also i checked my bear tracks account and under application status it still says " Decision Pending "

what do u guys think this means
does it me that i am rejected or what ?

Me too. Decision pending too. I think I did not make it this year. My pre-rep GPA is only 3.58. cummulative GPA 3.6, lots of volunteer experience (pharm-related and non-related too)

My "Decision Pending" message on Bear Tracks didn't change after they sent out my acceptance letter. It changes after you return your Confirmation of Admission and pay the fees. So your letter could still be on its way!

Also, if you didn't get your letter but Bear Tracks still has "Decision Pending", you could still be on the wait list. I know some people in the last few years didn't find out they got in until a week or two before the start of classes.

The Beartracks system takes a while to update (weeks?) so it probably won't keep you updated or informed either way. And if it still says "Decision Pending" yet you don't receive an acceptance (or rejection) letter, it's quite possible that you're on the wait list.

guys i m in vancouver and i'll be applying TO UBC pharmacy next year.
my GPA is 3.8/4.33 (i dono what %)and i'll do pcat in augest.. also have about 200 hours of volunteering in 2 pharmacies so far and working in my college's Learning Center(i m a tutor).

DO YOU THINK I HAVE A CHANCE OF GETTING INTO UoA SINCE I M CONSIDERED OUT OF PROVINCE?

ARE SAME COURSES REQUIRED IN UOA AS IN UBC OR THEY DIFFER?

I M ASKING THIS BECUASE I DON KNOW IF ANY UNIVERSITY OTHER THAN UBC CAN ACCEPT ME?

PLZ HELLP THNX AND GIVE ME ANY SUGGESTIONSSS AS POSSIBLE.:cool:

guys i m in vancouver and i'll be applying TO UBC pharmacy next year.
my GPA is 3.8/4.33 (i dono what %)and i'll do pcat in augest.. also have about 200 hours of volunteering in 2 pharmacies so far and working in my college's Learning Center(i m a tutor).

DO YOU THINK I HAVE A CHANCE OF GETTING INTO UoA SINCE I M CONSIDERED OUT OF PROVINCE?

ARE SAME COURSES REQUIRED IN UOA AS IN UBC OR THEY DIFFER?

I M ASKING THIS BECUASE I DON KNOW IF ANY UNIVERSITY OTHER THAN UBC CAN ACCEPT ME?

PLZ HELLP THNX AND GIVE ME ANY SUGGESTIONSSS AS POSSIBLE.:cool:

OH MY GOD, U OF A DOES NOT HAVE A SEPARATE QUOTA FOR OUT-OF-PROVINCE STUDENTS, OH MY GOD. YES, YOU HAVE A VERY GOOD CHANCE OF GETTING ACCEPTED AS LONG AS YOU REFRAIN FROM TYPING IN ALL CAPS IN YOUR LETTER-OF-INTENT!!!!

OH MY GOD, U OF A DOES NOT HAVE A SEPARATE QUOTA FOR OUT-OF-PROVINCE STUDENTS, OH MY GOD. YES, YOU HAVE A VERY GOOD CHANCE OF GETTING ACCEPTED AS LONG AS YOU REFRAIN FROM TYPING IN ALL CAPS IN YOUR LETTER-OF-INTENT!!!!

OHHHH really... thank godd.. i can apply somewhere else then...

i have 4 questions?

1)do you think people with more than 30 credits or even bachelors have a greater chance of getting in? either UBC or UoA

2)is course load an important factor for acceptance? because i'm only taking 3 course a semester and i'll finish the 30 credits in 2 years instead of one year.

3)how do i know what course in vancouver is equivalent to what course in alberta since their prereqs are different? for example ubc doesnt require organic whereas UoA requires it?

4)may i ask what ur GPA was and pcat as well or any EC?

tnx:)

1)do you think people with more than 30 credits or even bachelors have a greater chance of getting in? either UBC or UoA

2)is course load an important factor for acceptance? because i'm only taking 3 course a semester and i'll finish the 30 credits in 2 years instead of one year.
Speaking about the U of A only...
For your first question, I doubt it strongly. All that really matters is your pre-requisite grades.
Second question, absolutely. They basically demand that you take a full course load.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA FAQ'S:

Q18: What is the "cutoff" for applying to Pharmacy?
. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A: Applicants should have at least 3.5 out of 4.0 to apply. At present, the competitive average is approximately 3.7 out of 4.0.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]:eek::eek::eek::eek:its too highhhhhhhhh its like 93%:eek:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]..

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA FAQ'S:

Q18: What is the "cutoff" for applying to Pharmacy?
. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A: Applicants should have at least 3.5 out of 4.0 to apply. At present, the competitive average is approximately 3.7 out of 4.0.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]:eek::eek::eek::eek:its too highhhhhhhhh its like 93%:eek:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].

gpa of 3.7 is actually about 80%, which also happens to be the competitive average at ubc

gpa of 3.7 is actually about 80%, which also happens to be the competitive average at ubc

dont you just divide 3.7 by 4.0 which will be 93?

how do u guys calculate?

dont you just divide 3.7 by 4.0 which will be 93?

how do u guys calculate?

there are different ways of calculating gpa and at some universities 3.7 does indeed correspond to 93. however, this is not the case at ubc

tnx for replies
so guys we can take courses in summer prior to the start of semester in UoA?and how do you know what the what courses here in BC are equivalent to courses in UoA?

OHHHH really... thank godd.. i can apply somewhere else then...

i have 4 questions?

3)how do i know what course in vancouver is equivalent to what course in alberta since their prereqs are different? for example ubc doesnt require organic whereas UoA requires it?

4)may i ask what ur GPA was and pcat as well or any EC?

tnx:)

1)People with Bachelors definitely have a better chance of getting in if they have done it with a decent enough GPA. Fourth year students are not only exposed to more courses relevant to pharmacy school curriculum, they are also better equipped to deal with the workload.

2)Courseload definitely matters for U of A for reasons stated above.

3)Pre-requisites for Canadian pharmacy schools are pretty straightforward. A first-year Biology requirement can be met at any university, for example. Just remember that U of A now also requires Biochemistry as a pre-requisite.

4)My GPA for the U of A scale was definitely above a 3.8. The PCAT score was 87, but U of A does not take the PCAT into consideration.

Hope that helps.

wow it seems interesting
what is the 35% again for?i dont get it?
the UoA doesnt interview people?
also, can we take prereqs in the summer prior to the fall semester?

wow i m starting to love UoA:D i really thought i could only apply to universities in my province but now i can see that there is another univiersity out there. i've taken 23 credits so far(in one year) and i will definitely make it up to 60 credit by the end of next year so that my course load would be the way they want it. can i take any course (even electives like computer)in addition to the prereqs to make it up to 60 credits or they should be the specific courses they want?

So did anyone get rejected with a GPA above 3.7-3.8?

any out of province student got offer yet? i am still waiting. really hate alberta's way of offering admission. too much of a waiting game.

any out of province student got offer yet? i am still waiting. really hate alberta's way of offering admission. too much of a waiting game.

If you actually read the thread carefully, you would have realized that I already got my acceptance letter as an Ontario resident (which I declined for University of Toronto).

anyother canadian university not having quota for out of province...i wanna apply to as many school as possible..

anyother canadian university not having quota for out of province...i wanna apply to as many school as possible..

If your GPA is high enough, out-of-province quotas dont matter much. I received interview invitations at all of Dalhousie, Memorial and UBC as an Ontario resident (and once you receive those, it's a level playing field for all applicants). Do not worry much about such quotas if your GPA is really what you say it is. Cheers.

If your GPA is high enough, out-of-province quotas dont matter much. I received interview invitations at all of Dalhousie, Memorial and UBC as an Ontario resident (and once you receive those, it's a level playing field for all applicants). Do not worry much about such quotas if your GPA is really what you say it is. Cheers.

GPA isn't everything.

GPA isn't everything.

To get an interview call as an out-of-province student in Canada? Yes, it is. I would know better.

So no rejection letters yet huh?
If my luck continues, I'm betting I'll be waiting on the wait list for the entire summer -- again. :(

ok this is getting really annoying
i still have not heard anything from UofA
I dont know if i am on the waitlist or if i got rejected......i just wanna know :smuggrin:
waiting is the hardest part LOL
anyways any out of province people heard anything yet ...anyone get any rejections let me know
btw.....does UofA even send out rejections ??????

does UofA even send out rejections ??????
Yes, I just don't know when. It doesn't seem like anybody's got one yet. They will send them out when the time is right, I guess. Your best bet is to call or e-mail Gladys (at Pharmacy) regarding your application status.

To get an interview call as an out-of-province student in Canada? Yes, it is. I would know better.

my gpa is 3.8/4.33(82% in UBC scale)
what do you think of that...is it that high enough u'r talking about or no:D

i need ur honest opinion based on ur own gpa.

thnx really appreciate it.:thumbup: