University of Alberta Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on your acceptance. From what I gather this was your 2nd time applying, did your application improve since the first time? (GPA, extracurriculars etc?). I thinking of applying to UBC for Sept 08, but I'm wondering if I should reapply to U of A just for the hell of it (my GPA won't improve since I've graduated, but I will try and do some more volunteering etc)

Congrats again (jealous!)

This was my second year applying also and I called Gladys last week and she told me that I am third on the waitlist. So I guess all the seats are filled now and if 3 people drop out in the first week then I am in (fingers crossed!). Last year when I applied I got a rejection letter in mid-July and my GPA didn't really improve that much this year, so I think it makes a big difference if you are persistent and apply again. Just make sure that you put "this is my 2nd time applying" in your letter.

Members don't see this ad.

For those who wonders about my GPAs. Here they are:
pre-reg GPA: 3.6 (last year 3.55)
overall GPA: 3.62 (last year 3.55)
This year, I have quite a lot more volunteer experience (both pharm-related and non-related) than last year (I sent in reference letters and also mentioned them in the letter of intent)
I believe one other factor that helped me get in is my letter of intent. I put a lot of effort in it :D

Thanks for your replies, vqanh and LB17. I'm hoping 3 people drop and you get in LB17, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely didn't think I'd ever get to say this.. this was my last year ever applying (hell, its about my fourth try) and I'm literally down to what, the last week?

And I'm in!! Just got a call. And I'm shocked and awed. :D
See you all soon! And if you're still waiting -- my next comment won't come as a surprise -- don't lose hope until the first week of school is over!

I definitely didn't think I'd ever get to say this.. this was my last year ever applying (hell, its about my fourth try) and I'm literally down to what, the last week?

See you all soon! And if you're still waiting -- my next comment won't come as a surprise -- don't lose hope until the first week of school is over!

Congrad, Seveneighty! now i just want to have my rejection letter, so i can move on and figure out another career plan!!

Awesome! Out of all SDN'ers, if anyone deserved this most, it was you for such relentless persistence. Well done my friend, and best of luck :thumbup: .

So my wish for you did come true, eh? See you soon on Sept 4th :laugh:

Yes, your hopes and dreams did come true apparently..
I couldn't have done it without ya. :D

Now lets "pray" for LB17, who must be #1 or 2 on the waitlist at this point.

So, we don't need to take the PCAT at all if we want to apply to U of A?

Also, this question goes to UBC applicants. Since U of A uses Biochem and Statistic as a pre-req, does this mean that you would have to apply to U of A after your second and third year in UBC?

Thanks~

No, you don't need the PCAT for U of A.

And you can apply after your first year, if you get all your prerequisites done. My first year was ALL prerequisites, and after the experience I had, I certainly wouldn't recommend doing that!

Have you guys got all the textbooks yet? I went to the bookstore today but they dont have all the textbooks required for this year yet.

Actually when I went into Gladys' office, I asked her about whether I should buy books right away, and she said she'd wait until after orientation..

Yes, your hopes and dreams did come true apparently..
I couldn't have done it without ya. :D

Now lets "pray" for LB17, who must be #1 or 2 on the waitlist at this point.

Thanks sooo much you guys!! i haven't heard anything yet, but i'm still keeping my fingers crossed

Actually when I went into Gladys' office, I asked her about whether I should buy books right away, and she said she'd wait until after orientation..

Congrats mate. I am applying after next year and would like to ask what your pre-req and accumulative gpa was? If ya don't mind.

I would love to know who some of you actually are.. lol.

Hey guys. I'm a student at the UofC (calgary), 3rd year, studying biosci. I don't quite understand what the procedure for applying to pharm school is at the uofA. Do they take graduate students in? And is it really competitive? Their website seems really vague for information. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Hey guys. I'm a student at the UofC (calgary), 3rd year, studying biosci. I don't quite understand what the procedure for applying to pharm school is at the uofA. Do they take graduate students in? And is it really competitive? Their website seems really vague for information. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Not too sure what you mean by "graduate students". They accept students who meet the appropriate requirements, some of whom already hold a BSc. The U of A program is an undergraduate BSc degree. Entry into the BSc Pharm program does not require a prior degree, just the appropriate 1st/2nd year pre-reqs. I'm assuming any graduates studies in the faculty of pharmacy require a BSc Pharm (ie in order to get a MSc or PhD). So if you already have a degree or are a grad student in another faculty, yes they may accept you, but you'll be back to being an undergrad!

Yes, it is competitive!!!

The application process isn't too bad:

1) Apply to to U of A
2) Apply to the faculty of pharmacy/pharmaceutical sciences
3) Submit your "Letter of Intent" by Mar 1
4) Submit your transcripts
5) Wait
6) Wait some more
7) Wait some more
8) Start getting worried, make a few phone calls
9) Wait some more
10) Wait some more
11) Get accepted or repeat above next year if you aren't accepted!

Hope that helps

Hehe. Thanks for that! :) From what I gather, there's no interview process? Sweet.

Anyway, it seems like a long tough road ahead... I'm gonna really have to boost my GPA, since they want a near perfect. Eep. I really wish there were more pharm schools in Canada.

There's not interview at U of A (thank goodness, one less thing to worry about!!) I wish there were more pharm schools in Canada too!