University of Arizona c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1/13, 1/20, 1/23
1/27, 1/30, 2/3

Thanks so much! I could have sworn that I asked Marty when she thought we would all hear about invites, and I believe she said hopefully no later than Jan 6th.

Does anyone think it would be totally out of line to call and ask when they were planning to send invitations? I would like to book my ticket to AZ and I have a choice of interview date at MWU for 26th or 27th, so potentially I could interview back to back at these schools and save myself (and my wallet) two trips to AZ in a short timeframe...

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you hear about the auto rejection for crappy handwriting? My only advice.... PRINT.

I was watching one of the pre-pharmacy club meetings off the website. Dr. Tong stated that half a dozen people were automatically rejected for it.

I was watching one of the pre-pharmacy club meetings off the website. Dr. Tong stated that half a dozen people were automatically rejected for it.

That's harsh. English is actually my second language and I remember using those dotted letter pages to help me write. Sorry if that method sounds too elementary. :) What if you write in all caps? Caps are often more legible.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's harsh. English is actually my second language and I remember using those dotted letter pages to help me write. Sorry if that method sounds too elementary. :) What if you write in all caps? Caps are often more legible.

I used to write in all caps while in the military, it took me 2 years to stop, ha!

So, it looks like automatic rejection for bad hand writing (I assume it has to be mostly illegible) on the essay. I will admit to having handwriting that looks like I dipped a scorpion in ink, dropped it on the paper, and proceeded to practice electroshock therapy on it.

Any tips on quickly improving my penmanship? I have been practicing quite a bit lately, but it is like flapping your arms and trying to fly.

Haha!! You are funny! I'm sure you'll be fine. Best of luck!! :)

So, it looks like automatic rejection for bad hand writing (I assume it has to be mostly illegible) on the essay. I will admit to having handwriting that looks like I dipped a scorpion in ink, dropped it on the paper, and proceeded to practice electroshock therapy on it.

Any tips on quickly improving my penmanship? I have been practicing quite a bit lately, but it is like flapping your arms and trying to fly.

One option is to focus on your strength. As penmanship isn't progressing as you'd like, focus instead on learning to fly. Then you always have the option of attaching smoke jets to your feet and sky-writing the essay. ;)

Just trying to add some levity to the anxiety of our upcoming interviews. I'm starting to wonder if I should have just selected the 13th to get it over with. All I've done is add an additional week of sleepless nights due to obsessing.
:boom:

I think I'm at the point now where I'll know what they're going to ask before they actually ask the question. Sit back, relax, and I'll just take care of the interview myself.

My friend just got an interview, so they are not finished sending out invites just yet.

My friend just got an interview, so they are not finished sending out invites just yet.

I hope not, mine is still under consideration! I feel like I'm the only one still in suspense. I would like to think it's a good sign that I haven't been denied yet, either...

I was invited to interview! I got it this morning and there were still plenty of spots left...

I hope not, mine is still under consideration! I feel like I'm the only one still in suspense. I would like to think it's a good sign that I haven't been denied yet, either...

No, you're not the only one. I'm there with you. ;____;

Congrats, MissYuk! 2 interviews in 1 trip!

I am in the same boat (somewhat). My application is still "under consideration", so I have not yet earned an interview. Yet, UA is my one and only! My top choice! I am in the same boat though in that I am in my 30s and making a career change. I have a few weak spots I think... for instance, I ran out of time on chem portion of the PCAT doing long division and had to guess on the last 10! I got a 58 there!!

Here's my stats, what do you think??

Cum GPA: 3.79
Sci GPA: 3.78
PCAT comp: 85
PCAT chem: 58
pharm experience: 125 hours, ongoing weekly volunteer @ compounding pharmacy & hospital pharmacy
comm service: 250+
No BS, but have 2 AS: one in physics (2005), one in pre-pharm (2011)
Current Physiology major at UA.

:xf:

That 58 Chemistry score might hurt you. I thought they look for a minimum of 60-65 unless there are other very significant factors to counter it. Chem PCAT is huge for UA. What did Marty tell you regarding your chem score?

Have any other ladies peeked at the formal dress suggestions? Or can any
current females in the program give any insight?

Im leaning towards wearing a white dress shirt, light colored cardigan and slacks (with flats). Nothing is flashy or overly bright. The women's dress suggestion seems more rigid. Should I find a dress suit?

Have any other ladies peeked at the formal dress suggestions? Or can any
current females in the program give any insight?

Im leaning towards wearing a white dress shirt, light colored cardigan and slacks (with flats). Nothing is flashy or overly bright. The women's dress suggestion seems more rigid. Should I find a dress suit?

I've read various articles suggesting pant suits rather than dress suits, however most online forums indicate a mixture of pant suits, dress suits, flats, heels, etc. I'd recommend wearing something as professional as possible, but it is certainly easier for guys, that's for sure. I've heard of women wearing slacks and a dress shirt without any major negative repercussions, so it sounds like you should be okay. If you'd wear it for a professional job interview, then I see no reason why it wouldn't work for your pharmacy school interview. If you're worried, you could always add a blazer to the ensemble without having to invest in an entire suit. It would be more cost-effective and have a comparable impact.

As a guy I'm wearing a charcoal gray suit with black dress loafers, a white dress shirt, and a light silver and black checkered tie. I hate red ties and the idea of "power ties", so I'm going the subtle, formal route (same combination I wore for a "black tie optional" wedding and it all came together nicely). Had to phase out the mohawk though, which still irritates me as now I feel like I once again look just like everyone else. My professionalism, accomplishments, and personality will just have to take center stage instead. :laugh:

But if I'm accepted you bet your ass it's coming back. :cool:

EDIT: I actually really enjoyed and appreciated this article from the SDN site: http://studentdoctor.net/2010/09/interview-advice-what-to-wear-what-to-wear/

It was informative, objective, reasonable, and an easy read. It might help you to modify your attire or perhaps validate its acceptability.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I have a quick question. Why UA over Midwestern Glendale. although midwestern is more expensive, graduating a year early can make up for the difference in money. also does any1 noe what is the estimated price difference?

thanksss

Hi all,

I have a quick question. Why UA over Midwestern Glendale. although midwestern is more expensive, graduating a year early can make up for the difference in money. also does any1 noe what is the estimated price difference?

thanksss

MWG is about 100k total
U of A is about 86k

For me the GI Bill will pay upwards of 100% of the UofA tuition and only about 53k at Midwestern. Easy choice.

Last edited:
Hi all,

thanksss
I feel like I'd succeed more at a public school than a private one. With summers off, I'd be able to work full-time and apply the knowledge and skills I've obtained over the course of each academic year. I feel think that the quarter system of MWU is too fast paced for my liking, so I did not even apply.

Hi all,

thanksss

For me, it's not so much a financial issue as it is a ranking issue since I live less than 3 miles away from MWU and that alone will save me a lot of money. I've heard on several occasions that when a MWU graduate and a UOA graduate compete for the same job with similar stats, the UOA student will receive priority. Of course, having said that, MWU and UOA are pretty far apart so maybe the competition is very minimal.

Speaking of ranking, does anyone know why UOA is ranked so high as a pharmacy school? Is it because of their research? After all, It's NAPLEX first time pass rate is lower than MWU and it's average PCAT is quite a bit lower than MWU. UOA has a much higher average GPA but I suspect it's because they take mainly in-state students whereas MWU takes mainly out-of-state students.

As someone already stated, it would be nice to have the summers off so that I can obtain internships and such. I really think that the experience will make me a better pharmacist. Of course, it would also be nice to be a pharmacist a year earlier with MWU.

I'm starting to dread the weekends just because I know no interview invites will be sent out until the weekdays. lol Come on, UOA. GIVE ME A INVITE! :p

I'm starting to dread the weekends just because I know no interview invites will be sent out until the weekdays. lol Come on, UOA. GIVE ME A INVITE! :p

Mine came on New Year's Eve, which was a Saturday, so you never know. :xf:

MWG is about 100k total
U of A is about 86k

For me the GI Bill will pay upwards of 100% of the UofA tuition and only about 53k at Midwestern. Easy choice.

Where did you get 100k for MWU? I'm looking at the 2011 - 2012 tuition rates they gave me on interview day and its $43,278 per year ($129,834 total and I'm sure the tuition will increase each year, so I'm guessing $135,000).

Where did you get 100k for MWU? I'm looking at the 2011 - 2012 tuition rates they gave me on interview day and its $43,278 per year ($129,834 total and I'm sure the tuition will increase each year, so I'm guessing $135,000).

Got it off aacp.com, the rates may have been a year off though.

For me, it's not so much a financial issue as it is a ranking issue since I live less than 3 miles away from MWU and that alone will save me a lot of money. I've heard on several occasions that when a MWU graduate and a UOA graduate compete for the same job with similar stats, the UOA student will receive priority. Of course, having said that, MWU and UOA are pretty far apart so maybe the competition is very minimal.

Speaking of ranking, does anyone know why UOA is ranked so high as a pharmacy school? Is it because of their research? After all, It's NAPLEX first time pass rate is lower than MWU and it's average PCAT is quite a bit lower than MWU. UOA has a much higher average GPA but I suspect it's because they take mainly in-state students whereas MWU takes mainly out-of-state students.

As someone already stated, it would be nice to have the summers off so that I can obtain internships and such. I really think that the experience will make me a better pharmacist. Of course, it would also be nice to be a pharmacist a year earlier with MWU.

UofA has an excellent reputation. See my post in the "Tell me about your PharmD school" thread.

It's been too quiet in here this weekend.

Took the weekend off from all things pharmacy. Watched the playoffs on Saturday and played in a softball tournament all day Sunday. Doesn't sound like new invites went out over the weekend, though. :(

Does anyone know the average length of time it take after you interview to receive a decision of acceptance?

Thats a great question to ask. I am having the same thoughts as well. From what I have gathered U of A has slighty more prestige as a school and more alumni around the world. Better for networking :)

I live three miles away too! whoot whoot. I have friends there who love the program though

Yay!!! Got an interview invite via email today, I chose January 30th because flights were cheaper. I am from California. Is anyone else going on the 30th?:)

Has anyone gotten any rejections? My hope for an invite is dwindling. lol

GF got rejected from UA last week.

She had ~3.5, 89 comp, double major biochem/MCB senior at UA, and research experience.

Last edited:

She had ~3.5, 89 comp, double major biochem/MCB senior at UA, and research experience.

UA as in University of Arizona? I don't think anyone has even been interviewed for admissions yet and notifications won't be sent out until all interviews have been completed.

UA as in University of Arizona? I don't think anyone has even been interviewed for admissions yet and notifications won't be sent out until all interviews have been completed.

I think some automatic denials have been sent out already, but those were for incomplete applications, etc.

If she had no pharmacy volunteer and/or work experience, that's a rejection.

She was rejected without offer of interview.

She has worked 20 hrs/wk in 2 diff labs over past 3 years, but has no official pharm specific volunteer/work exp

Last edited:

She has worked 20 hrs/wk in 2 diff labs over past 3 years, but has no official pharm specific volunteer/work exp

One of the requirements for UA is having at least 50 hours work/volunteer experience in a pharmacy setting. That might explain her automatic rejection.

First batch of interviews tomorrow. Good luck to everyone scheduled on the 13th. Friday the 13th. ;)

Your gf goes to UA. If anyone should know about their 50+ hours pharm experience, she should. And it's right on the applying portion of their website.

She would not get an interview. They will not accept her because she doesn't meet their minimim requirement, so an interview is wasting everyone's time.

No one has nothing to say about the interview today? Did the admissions committee lock you in a dungeon? :scared:

Can't wait to see the campus this week!

I'm looking forward to seeing it again as well. I've only been to the admissions office a few years ago to develop a game plan for my eventual application to the program, so I'm excited to have a more in-depth look at where I could be spending the next four years.

YAY! Finally received a interview invite. :) I signed up for Feb 3rd.

YAY! Finally received a interview invite. :) I signed up for Feb 3rd.

It was only a matter of time.

I'm looking forward to seeing it again as well. I've only been to the admissions office a few years ago to develop a game plan for my eventual application to the program, so I'm excited to have a more in-depth look at where I could be spending the next four years.

See you tomorrow. :D

chirp chirp chirp chirp

A friend of mine interviewed Friday..... he says it went well.