University of Arizona Class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julyjones

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yay U of A!

Members don't see this ad.

Yay is right! Hooray for in-state tuition!!! I'm glad someone started a thread. I'm in at Tucson (which always felt right, even though I live in the Phx area) and SOOOO pleased to have less of a debt burden in the years ahead.

I've also been checking out some of the outreach and community programs which look great.

Hopefully I can meet some of my future classmates at the 2nd look in April. Until then- yay- relief- whoo-hoo!

Yay!!! I am so thankful!!! Woohoo! :woot:
Oh yes, and hello future classmates!!!! :hello::hello::hello:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would looove if someone would start a fb group for UA 2013! I am curious to see who my classmates will be in real life (not SDN-world)! :)

Hey congrats guys! Let me know if you have any questions about stuff and getting ready for school. But have fun and enjoy your time!

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate :rolleyes: :D

Hello fellow MS1rs-to-be! I am accepted at Tucson and Phoenix, have yet to turn in my campus decision, although I am leaning more towards Tucson (and have always been even though Phoenix did impress me). Anyone else in the same boat? I can't wait until second look day!!

What is second look day? Is there something I don't know?!?!?! :wow::uhno::shifty::shifty::shifty:

How awesome this thread has been started! I was going to get on here and start one a few days ago but was busy with other things and never got around to it. It will be exciting to converse here up till we begin class. I am anxiously awaiting meeting all of you at second look day. Anyone have an idea of when that is?

Oh, and congrats to you all! :thumbup:

Yep, Tucson has a Second Look Day on April 9th (you can also schedule a revisit day if you can't make Second Look). I don't know about Phoenix. I can't wait!

What is second look day? Is there something I don't know?!?!?! :wow::uhno::shifty::shifty::shifty:

They didn't really talk about it that much at my interview, so I don't think you missed anything official. Second look day is essentially when all of the accepted applicants gather at the school and get to know each other ( I think). From what I understand, it's a fairly large event to which you can bring your family etc. I think the "purpose" is to give you the opportunity to see if it is really where you want to go in the event you have multible acceptances and are contemplating. However, I have heard that nobody goes for that reason, but to meet their class peers instead...I have actually heard this is the same at just about every school that has a second look day. If anyone else knows better, please inform me :).

They didn't really talk about it that much at my interview, so I don't think you missed anything official. Second look day is essentially when all of the accepted applicants gather at the school and get to know each other ( I think). From what I understand, it's a fairly large event to which you can bring your family etc. I think the "purpose" is to give you the opportunity to see if it is really where you want to go in the event you have multible acceptances and are contemplating. However, I have heard that nobody goes for that reason, but to meet their class peers instead...I have actually heard this is the same at just about every school that has a second look day. If anyone else knows better, please inform me :).

While claiming to not know much about second look, you sure hit it right on the head. Its also a chance to meet people and get a better look at campus. More than just a 20 minute tour but chance to walk around and check it out. ALso to hear more about clubs and campus activities. And usually a reception for the family. Its alot better than interview day when you can actually get out explore and not be worried about your interview.

And from what I have understood, second look day is April 10th. But that may change etc, thats just the date I heard last.

Anyone else having a hard time with academic procrastination? I have only two classes that I need to graduate and am finding myself reluctant to invest A+ effort into them. It's as though my mind will not allow me to stress over them now that it doesn't have to...like I'm forced to relax a bit :oops:. A freind of mine who graduated last semester got into a big-time private school early in the cycle and pretty much stopped going to class after that :laugh:.

I was wondering (sorry, I just can't remember!) if any of you know about a laptop requirement for U of A. Is there a specific one to get, or can you get any required programs installed onto an already-purchased laptop?

Oh, and congratulations to all of you - I look forward to seeing some of you next year in Phoenix!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the clarification on Second Look Day...I look forward to it!!! :clap::soexcited::hardy:

2nd look is April 9th, per an email they sent me from Tucson. Nice to hear they have a reception for family. Perhaps I'll bring my partner if she can get off work. (Someone has to support all this schooling!)

I'm going to rent a room in Tucson and keep my house in Tempe for the time being. I have an offer to stay with a friend, but it's a 20-30 minute drive to campus. Can any of the current students give me an idea of what is the going rate for a room?

Thanks to whoever started this thread. I'm soooo happy for a place to be happy!

I was wondering (sorry, I just can't remember!) if any of you know about a laptop requirement for U of A. Is there a specific one to get, or can you get any required programs installed onto an already-purchased laptop?

Oh, and congratulations to all of you - I look forward to seeing some of you next year in Phoenix!

http://omc.arizona.edu/students/index.cfm

Hope this helps...... But this is the guidelines for our class, so I don't know if that will change. They actually installed on my laptop Office 07 and an antivirus free and helped me get it secure on UofA wifi network.

Natrides ~ 2nd look is April 9th, per an email they sent me from Tucson

Funny the email that they sent out to us, has the 10th, strange
...... "The Second Look program is Friday, April 10, 2009"
Sounds like that needs to be double checked with Ann

I'm going to rent a room in Tucson and keep my house in Tempe for the time being. I have an offer to stay with a friend, but it's a 20-30 minute drive to campus. Can any of the current students give me an idea of what is the going rate for a room?

I don't know about rooms, but I pay 600 for an apartment at River and Stone

Hi fellow classmates!!!

I hope you’re all doing well. Firstly, congratulations on getting accepted! I got accepted into both Phoenix and Tucson and will be giving up my seat in Tucson shortly. The Phoenix campus is close to home and family for me and it is therefore ideal. I also think they have a great program and staff. I am glad to have gotten into my #1 choice- Phoenix eventually!

As far as I know the revisit days for Phoenix are individualized and you have to organize the day day with admissions. Also, 2nd look day is April 9-11. I think a FB account is a great idea! Maybe someone will get to it before I do?

Anyone know when the white coat ceremony is for Tucson? It is a bring-your-family event, isn't it? I would think so -- it's a pretty significant day.

Anyone know when the white coat ceremony is for Tucson? It is a bring-your-family event, isn't it? I would think so -- it's a pretty significant day.

Its usually the Friday of your first full week of class (Prologue) in first part of August. And yes its come one come all family. It really is an amazing event and one I will remember forever. And to be presented with my white coat in front of all my family was awesome. :D

Its usually the Friday of your first full week of class (Prologue) in first part of August. And yes its come one come all family. It really is an amazing event and one I will remember forever. And to be presented with my white coat in front of all my family was awesome. :D

Just got the chills thinking about it.

Will anyone be applying, or have already applied to the MD-MPH program? Any current UA med students on this board actually doing that program now?

Will anyone be applying, or have already applied to the MD-MPH program? Any current UA med students on this board actually doing that program now?

I was thinking of doing this program...but I also figured that I could opt for a public health focus during my 4 year MD program...I remember in the interviews they (the med students and faculty) were talking about how the curriculum allows for you to focus on a track during your medical education and you'll have a mentor during the 4 years to advise you, etc...

Anyone have the match lists for U of A from recent years?
Thanks in advance

I am in the MPH program and will kind of roll into the MD MPH program. If you got any questions let me know. I know a lot about the program and I have some traditional MD/MPH friends who could prob help you out where i lack info.

I am in the MPH program and will kind of roll into the MD MPH program. If you got any questions let me know. I know a lot about the program and I have some traditional MD/MPH friends who could prob help you out where i lack info.

Do you mean you will be completing the rest of your MPH while in UofA COM?
I always wondered if one could start a master's program and finish the rest while in medical school at the UofA? I would appreciate some clarification on this since I know that some med schools require that a master's program be completed before matriculation...

Do you mean you will be completing the rest of your MPH while in UofA COM?
I always wondered if one could start a master's program and finish the rest while in medical school at the UofA? I would appreciate some clarification on this since I know that some med schools require that a master's program be completed before matriculation...

Yes, I will be completing my masters while at the COM. U of A has been very felxible and open about concurrent degrees. If you have questions or concerns my recommendation is that you go into the student services office and just start asking questions or making proposals. If you want to do something (outside med school) and are committed to it the COM will probably try and help you make it happen.

I was accepted to both campuses-- any reason to stay in Tucson and go here instead of move up north for the Phoenix campus?

The following questions are for any current students at UA COM-Tuscon and/or anyone who is otherwise familiar with the 1st year process.

I just want to get an idea as to how the orientation --> prologue week --> first week of actual classes will be. I mean, is it insane, manageable, exciting overwhelming, etc? How relaxed is prologue week and what kind of things take place?

Furthermore, I understand that you are 'assigned' to a group to work with over the course of your 4-year tenure -- please correct me if this is not true. How do you (current med students) feel about this? Personally, I work well in groups and cannot think of a better way to go about my education, but I have also never been a medical student. Do the groups tend to 'sync' well? How are they chosen?

If anyone has any other random information about beginning M1 I would love to hear it, as I am sure many others would as well. What do you wish someone told you before you started?

Thank you :luck:

The following questions are for any current students at UA COM-Tuscon and/or anyone who is otherwise familiar with the 1st year process.

I just want to get an idea as to how the orientation --> prologue week --> first week of actual classes will be. I mean, is it insane, manageable, exciting overwhelming, etc? How relaxed is prologue week and what kind of things take place?

Orientation is mostly what to wear on a daily basis, yes we have a dress code, and general info about books, supplies, etc. Prologue is a week on AIDS/HIV but its a chance to walk through what a "typical" week is like at UofA COM. Then you get in to Foundations which covers a lot of cell and molecular biology. Those first weeks depend alot on how comfortable you are with cell and molecular biology and genetics etc. Overall, life is not as bad as I thought it would be, but I do spend many more hours studying than I did in undergrad.

Furthermore, I understand that you are 'assigned' to a group to work with over the course of your 4-year tenure -- please correct me if this is not true. How do you (current med students) feel about this? Personally, I work well in groups and cannot think of a better way to go about my education, but I have also never been a medical student. Do the groups tend to 'sync' well? How are they chosen?

All of the groups for Case-based Instruction (CBI), Team-learning (TL), and Societies are randomly assigned. You are specifically referring to societies, where I have the same 6 person group for all four years. I think my whole class has bonded with their group and get along very well. You also have an attending mentor for each group. That attending is in charge of teaching you lung sounds, cardiac sounds, neuro exam, writing a history and physical and then presenting them to the group. Well at times it seems long, it really is a lot of fun. And also helps understand some of lecture material when you see patients with those diseases. Some mentors even have their students shadow them in the ED or OR. Nice to know that you will be right at home with writing histories and physicals and presenting them just as a third year would do. And most of us have professional dress (shirt/tie) and our white coats with neuro reflex hammers, penlights, and stethoscopes filling the pockets seeing patients. And patients usually are very responsive and enjoy having the medical students talk to them.

CBI and TL groups change every block and usually mesh pretty well. Sometimes you work with people you may not like, but you get through it, esp since that is the basis of the healthcare team
If anyone has any other random information about beginning M1 I would love to hear it, as I am sure many others would as well. What do you wish someone told you before you started?
SLEEP! Go out and have fun. Spend it with family and friends. Dont worry about books or reading for lectures. Soon you will miss all of these small things. And listen to what fellow medical students in other classes tell you, but dont base everything on their word. They may learn differently than you do. And most of all try to be happy and not get bogged down in the work of medical school.

Thats all I can think of for the moment....:cool:

Thanks for all the advice and info Kros. It is very appreciated.

I'm pretty excited to start next fall, even though I know if will be a lot of work. I didn't know about the white coat ceremony being right away. It sounds amazing.

I guess I'll go do one of those fun non-scholastic-I-have-time-for things now like cooking dinner, watching TV and drinking a beer.

Kros, that's great advice, quite thorough too, thank you. It sounds incredibly exciting. I feel like it is punishment waiting till August to begin, though I know I had better take great advantage of being stress-free while I can, so to speak. In August I imagine it will be a crazy ride all the way to retirement. Of course, I personally love that aspect of this career path.

I have a couple of questions. And thanks again for the info.

Does U of A COM have a gym or access to one?

Are the lectures available online? This goes with the last question, is attendance mandatory?

What is your least? Most? favorite thing about med school.

I have a couple of questions. And thanks again for the info.

Does U of A COM have a gym or access to one?

As a UofA student you have access to the Campus Rec center, but its over by the football stadium at Sixth and Highland. Its a nice gym with lots of machines, weights, 20 raquetball courts, couple of basketball courts, lap pool, yoga/spin classes, running track etc. But its like a 10 minute ride on the shuttle, no biggie but its not on our side of campus (far northeast), rec is ( south central). UMC has a wellness center that you can join for 10 bucks or something and I heard its pretty nice. And that is a short walk thru UMC. I suppose it depends if you are looking for weights and treadmills or a lap pool

Are the lectures available online? This goes with the last question, is attendance mandatory?

Lectures are podcasted, video and audio thru ItunesU. Everything that goes thru the computer LCD projector is captured with the mic audio. So no luck if they use laser pointers or chalk board. Also only the lectures in the main room can be podcasted, so sessions in the MDL's (histo or gross labs) etc will not be captured. And at times there has been problems (dead battery in mic, no audio in podcast, errors in capture so no podcast). I only use it to review a certain lecture, versus some classmates that usually only watch the podcasts and no lecture. So far its mixed emotions, professors have not been so happy with the lecture attendance so there may be some changes coming. Lecture attendance is not mandatory. However CBI/TL/Society and other small group sessions are required. You do get 4 discretionary days to use as you see fit. These are like excused absences and you have to give 2 weeks notice when you submit your request. Thus use them wisely for important things, conferences, sister wedding, trips etc.

What is your least? Most? favorite thing about med school.

Least - Study hours lol, only spent 8 hours in the MDL today studying, and have 5 hours of lecture tomorrow.
Favorite - My class, I really have an amazing class of friends and family, we all support and cheer on each other. Leave no classmate behind! White Coat was amazing as well! Nothing like having your own white coat, very doctorly :)

Anything else?

I was reading the pre-allopathic U of A forum and it was stressing me out (despite already being accepted). God this process is brutal. This forum makes me much, much happier!

When do we start, for Tucson campus? I know that, for Phoenix, it is July 21st or something. Trying to choose now which campus I'll attend...

I believe that Tucson starts the last week of July, however, if you chose to attend the Bridge Program then you would start 2 weeks earlier in July. I emailed Tanisha over the weekend regarding Second Look Day (she confirmed it is April 10th) and she said all Tucson acceptees would be getting some information regarding Second Look, etc. after their last round of acceptances next week. So, hopefully we will have more concrete dates then! Does anyone else feel a little clueless? I keep feeling like I need to plan my next few months, though I know I am supposed to be relaxing...this is just so exciting!

I believe that Tucson starts the last week of July, however, if you chose to attend the Bridge Program then you would start 2 weeks earlier in July. I emailed Tanisha over the weekend regarding Second Look Day (she confirmed it is April 10th) and she said all Tucson acceptees would be getting some information regarding Second Look, etc. after their last round of acceptances next week. So, hopefully we will have more concrete dates then! Does anyone else feel a little clueless? I keep feeling like I need to plan my next few months, though I know I am supposed to be relaxing...this is just so exciting!

http://www.omse.medicine.arizona.edu/catalog/Calendars/0910 cal/yr1_cal.html

Bridge usually starts the week before orientation, thus prob the 22nd of July. White Coat is usually the Friday of the first week of August.

What is the Bridge Program?

Also, is there another acceptance group going out? The other SDN thread would love to hear that I think. After reading all the anguish and some happiness over there- I am soooo grateful all that emotion over!!

Bring on August.

Thanks for the tentative calendar, Kros--very helpful!

I was going to post the news that Tanisha gave me about the last round of acceptances on the other SDN thread, but then I thought since I"m not sure how true it is (maybe she meant to say this week?) that I shouldn't toy with their emotions...but maybe I'll give them a heads up anyway.

What is the Bridge Program?

Also, is there another acceptance group going out? The other SDN thread would love to hear that I think. After reading all the anguish and some happiness over there- I am soooo grateful all that emotion over!!

Bring on August.

I think you get a letter about it, either in your acceptance letter packet or your orientation packet. Or it might be at second look, I cant remember any more. But the Bridge program is run by Dr Tischler, as a way to help non traditional students adjust easier to the UofA Med curriculum. Usually 25-30 students are in the week long program that ends the day before general orientation. They are mostly looking to help those family obligations (kids), older students that aren't coming directly from college, non science majors, learning disabled students, or students that struggled with core sciences in college. Since Dr Tischler is the the Metabolism block director, he presents 8 bio-chem lectures that are at med school level and at med school speed. Then after the lectures they have people from the Student Education office help you break down the lectures. It is really helpful to learn how to study in medical school. And how to be ready for the next day's lectures. Who knew there was more you could do besides print out notes ;-) . He also has a TL and CBI session so you get a chance to go thru them and see how they are run. You also get to work with some of your new classmates and have lunch and a dinner party together. Most people found it very helpful. And its a free program and a chance to get orientation stuff done early!

If you do not qualify or are not accepted into Bridge then you just show up for orientation and go from there. However you will have prologue block that will basically do the same as Bridge. A chance to see a typical week at UofA. And what all the small group sessions are like.

Thanks again Kros. I may sign up for the Bridge program as I'm a non-trad. Good to know what it's all about.

The bridge program sounds like it might be something I would highly consider. I am a non-trad myself, with a mortgage, wife, and young lad of my own. However, I am not a non-trad with respect to time off after undergrad -- I am going straight to UA COM from my undergrad. So, I wonder if it would still be beneficial in showing me some ideas/techniques for managing family with medical school. I guess I'll have to see. It's just so exciting talking about it since I am so anxiously waiting for everything to get underway :)

I got an acceptance today from UA - Tucson. For anyone else that has been accepted this year - how long did it take you to get your official hardcopy letter with all the paperwork after you got your email?

Thanks!

I got an acceptance today from UA - Tucson. For anyone else that has been accepted this year - how long did it take you to get your official hardcopy letter with all the paperwork after you got your email?

Thanks!

I think I received them the very next day. Congratulations!

Thanks!

My letter came 2 days later.

Will somebody please give me a reason why Phoenix is a better campus than Tucson? I haven't been accepted to Tucson yet but I'm holding off on house shopping until I am officially rejected or accepted to Tucson. Here's my situation:

1. I would much rather live in Phoenix than Tucson
2. The scholarly project really does not interest me
3. I'm worried that Phx has not had a round of boards yet to show how they're doing

What are the +'s of going to Phx other than living in Phx instead of Tucson? Somebody please help me here. I'm obviously stoked that I got into Phx but I'd just like someone to paint the picture for me

Will somebody please give me a reason why Phoenix is a better campus than Tucson? I haven't been accepted to Tucson yet but I'm holding off on house shopping until I am officially rejected or accepted to Tucson.

Something I really liked about the phoenix campus is the part where you were paired with a physician in the community. They mentioned something like that in tucson, but because it's a larger group, several of you were placed together.

Also as a Phoenix student, you have access to both UofA and ASU libraries. You can live in Tempe and take the light rail to school. Smaller class size, etc.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either campus. Congratulations on getting in!

Hey y'all,

I was accepted to Phoenix too...I really didn't see this one coming so I'm absolutely thankful! I will most likely be withdrawing my acceptance at the Phoenix campus though since I'm a native Tucsonan!!!!

Good luck everyone.....:highfive::lock::soexcited:

so is it too early to start thinking about housing? i was just wondering if there is an area where med students tend to live/ what people will be doing about housing.