University of Arizona South Campus Psychiatry Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pauld3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all the 4th year med students finalizing their psychiatry residency applications, I just wanted to put in a good word for the University of Arizona South Campus program. I'm a 2nd year resident in this program and I couldn't be happier. I stumbled across this gem during my interview season which included everything from the academic powerhouses, to small-town community based programs. I completed my medical school at the University of Washington, which has an excellent psychiatry program, but I chose U of A South Campus over this and many other more 'prestigious' programs because it offers a unique balance of academic and community-based training, as well as great people, and great recreation in sunny Tucson, AZ.

What really stood out to me about the program is that it's relatively small (6 residents per year) and in a community-based hospital (Banner University (of Arizona) Medical Center - South), yet offers the academic resources associated with being within a department of the University of Arizona. The atmosphere is casual, relaxed, personable, and supportive, yet there remains the intellectual curiosity and academic opportunities that many community-based programs seemed to lack. Despite being a fairly new program (~8 years) we're recruiting strong residents (our intern class scored >90th percentile on the PRITE (standardized psychiatry residency exam)) and we're building a cohesive faculty consisting of many graduates of the program (a sign of how much we love it here). Despite being a smaller hospital, we see excellent psychopathology as one of the few Level 1 (involuntary) evaluating agencies in the region. The consensus is that residents leave this program prepared to confidently practice anywhere.

As for Tucson, if you haven't been here, come check it out. I was pleasantly surprised by how much the desert has to offer. Surrounded by mountains, there's tons of outdoor recreation and enough sunshine that you can be active 12 months a year (or 10 months if you melt in the heat :)). After my interview, I came back for a week of vacation just to enjoy the hiking and awesome winter weather. With the University of Arizona in the center of town, there are also plenty of restaurants, breweries, and a small but eclectic downtown scene.

Having been here for over a year now, I'm still loving it. Great program; Great people; Great city. If it sounds at all like your kind of program, I highly encourage you to add it to your interview plans. You can make it an efficient trip by checking out the other U of A Psychiatry program as well, which is part of the same department but has a primarily VA-based inpatient experience (I'm biased, but I prefer South Campus :)). Ultimately, you already chose a great specialty and for the most part, you can't go wrong with psychiatry residency programs. That said, I really do think U of A South Campus is something special... Hope to see you here this interview season!

-Derek

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Can you tell me about the fellowships they offer?

Sent from my HUAWEI ALE-L04 using Tapatalk

We currently have a Child and Adolescent fellowship and expect to have a Geri Psych fellowship within the next year. A forensic fellowship is also in the works. The UA neurology department also offers a behavioral neurology fellowship which considers psych applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I inferviewed at UA main and UA south ... UA south blew UA main out the window. Just an overall better experience. If UA south was in NorCal and not in AZ I would have more seriously considered it.

i was under the impression that this program works residents into the ground. Would you be willing to give info on how your schedule has been, and if you have strong attending support?

i was under the impression that this program works residents into the ground. Would you be willing to give info on how your schedule has been, and if you have strong attending support?

Sorry, for the delayed reply, I just got back from a nice vacation... I think the workload is actually very reasonable here. We are busy while on shift and see a lot of high acuity psychopathology but the hours are really reasonable. On inpatient psychiatry my day started at 8:00am and I was usually out by 3:00pm (need to be available by phone until 5:00pm). I probably had one day a month where I stayed late to finish work... We average two 12hr weekend day shifts a month during which we work hard but the overall number of hours on call is less than many programs. Our cap on the inpatient psych unit is 8 patients. There is no night call during intern year. The support from attendings is excellent on all but our geri-psych rotation. Unlike many programs, as interns, we are only responsible for one hospital so there is no running between facilities and using different EMRs. Also, we only have 2 months of inpatient medicine (+ one month of outpatient primary care) which cuts back on the workload as well. I'm not much of one for spreadsheets but during my interview season I did plot out all of the potential call schedules and average-work-hours and this program's workload is definitely better than average.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Derek. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Do you have any insights on the other programs in AZ, such as banner or maricopa?

Thanks for the info Derek. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Do you have any insights on the other programs in AZ, such as banner or maricopa?

Unfortunately, I don't. The only programs I applied to in AZ were the U of A programs. I was looking for a community-based program with academic resources so the Phx programs were never really on my radar.

Maricopa - Mostly community mental health, under/uninsured population, non academic. Most of your experience will be at one of two sites. See mostly involuntary patients sent to you from the greater Phoenix area. You do get to testify in court. My impression was these residents were worked hard into the ground.
Banner - Most rotations are done at their main hospital or satellite sites. Clientele is mostly or all insured, so pathology is not as severe in my opinion. Technically a community program still despite the recent merger. They have a faculty in their Alzheimers clinic that are world renown.
University South - Academic, under/uninsured, community mental health focus. Lots of involuntary, substance abuse. Strong inpatient service and you get the opportunity to testify. Both programs share rotation sites and rotations with their sister programs so you get a good mix of both programs.
University North - Academic, patients are vary from VA insurance, private insurance, under/uninsured populations, its less community based but opportunity exists. VA heavy first year but rotations are overall good. Strong consult service. There are lots of faculty involved in research and there is a strong emphasis in psychotherapy if you seek out the faculty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users