Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

University of Arizona students: Where do you live?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by DoctorWannaBe, Apr 5, 2004.

1. DoctorWannaBe

DoctorWannaBe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm trying to find a place to live when I go to U of A medical school this July, and was wondering if any current med students or recently accepted students have advice on good areas to live. I'd prefer to live east of campus if possible because my family is on the east side of town. I don't want to live too close to campus because the area seems run down and is probably noisy with all the students (I'm not a partyer/drinker/noisy person). I'm wondering if living ~20 minutes away from campus would isolate me from other students and make it too hard to get to campus. Where do most med students live at U of A?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MichiMO

MichiMO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I live about 25 minutes from school (in traffic)...around the Sabino Canyon area. I really love the area. My apartment is beautiful and the area around it can't be beat. But, I'll be honest that you are a little isolated living that far. It is not as easy to go out. You don't feel like going back down town for anything that might be going on at night around the university area. Also, if you are a study at school/libary type of person, you can get worn out because you won't really want to head home for dinner and then go back to library...so you just stay at school all day which gets old real quick.
    On the other hand, I really enjoy the whole school-home separation and sometimes it is nice to have a 25 minute drive where I CANNOT study...and just listen to music and chill.
    Right now I am revaluating my whole living experience myself. I am thinking of moving closer to campus and finding a rooommate just to kinda combat that whole isolated/lonely thing...but I am really torn about it because I really love my place and don't want to have the type of things you mentioned about living closer to campus. After living with my mountain views...they are a hard thing to give up!
    Anyway, feel free to PM me for more info. Sounds like we have a lot of the same living concearns.
    Good luck!

4. lattimer13

lattimer13 good boy!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    from my experience with undergrad and med school at UA, i would say live close to campus...but that's me. i live about 1.5 miles east on speedway and it takes about 5-10 minutes to get to school.

to the west gets shady as you move farther away from campus. to the north is nice...immediately to the east is beautiful, but expensive, with good spots and bad spots as you move further away. same with south. tucson is weird b/c there are some really nice developments right next door to some real crapholes.

i'd say come down and drive around the area you're considering to look at the neighborhoods.

also, UA will send out a list sometime at the beginning of the summer of other students looking for roommates, so you could potentially find a roommate and a place that way. put your name on the list if you're interested. personally, i'd go the MichiMO route and get a place by yourself. that way you don't have to deal with roommates, but it will cost you more. but that's what loans are for. you could justify living by yourself since you'll be saving so much $$$ by going to UA vs. other private and state schools, so you can put that money towards your pad.