University of Arizona???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

Gard

Does anyone know anything about the Med school at the U of Az? I'm headed down there to finish up pre reqs, and to apply at the med school. I'd appreciate any info from students who've applied, attended, or plan to do either. Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

What I know is that unless you are a resident now, or can establish residency before applying, don't waste your money. Some friends of mine applied thinking that the U of A was serious when they said they accepted a few out of state residents, but after sending in the secondary application fee they got a letter specifically saying "we do not interview out of state residents, but thank you for your interest in our university." If you *are* a resident, then definitely go for it. Good luck to you.

[This message has been edited by summerb (edited 03-19-99).]

I read in a national guide to medical school book that U of A accepted class of 1997 was 100% in-state. the guide even stated that out of state need not apply. pretty harsh, eh?

Members don't see this ad :)
I read in a national guide to medical school book that U of A accepted class of 1997 was 100% in-state. the guide even stated that out of state need not apply. pretty harsh, eh?

Gard, it's absolutely true that you must be a resident of AZ to apply (or a Native American from a bordering state, or a WAMI state resident with WICHE support). Not sure how long you need to be in AZ to become a resident...one year maybe. The good news is, they interview every applicant who meets residency. So if you don't look that great on paper, but feel you could make a good in-person impression, you may make it! Also, Tucson is a nice place to live, all the ammenities of a city with a small town feel. The medical school is very highly rated. They have excellent clinical exposure, from day one. And they're richly funded, so they can keep classes small and cozy with lots of personal attention. Hope this helped!

Hi Guest,

Im an entering first year to UofA.. It is true that only AZ residents and highly qualified WICHE members are considered.. If you are unsure about your status, I really recommend that you call UofA's residency office (you can get the number from Linda or Ann at the admissions office) and speak with the guy in charge, since he is pretty much the one who makes the decisions about it.. don't be satisfied with an answer from whoever answers the phone, because it is highly subjective and I've experienced it first hand.. Just be very clear about what you need to do to be considered a resident.

Aside from that, UofA is a great school and I wish you the best... if you have any specific questions about applying, let me know

I spoke to the admission coorinator, I was told when I apply the best thing to do is to move out to AZ and finish up my 90 credits or Bachelor's (which ever comes first)so I may establish residency.I have to stress how helpful and nice the staff is at UA.I am in brooklyn and used to everyone just ignoring you or just plain yelling, so you could imagine how I felt when I saw how nice everyone is in UA :)

Can anyone tell me how the school is?Are the students happy?How is the scheduale?

I went to U of A for undergrad, but did research at the hospital and have a very good sense about the place. If you have an specific ? go ahead and PM me.

The school atmosphere is preatty relaxed, I would go out with a few buddies of mine at least once during the week (except around tests ofcourse) Tucson, is a great place to live. As for the curriculum, is primarily block based, (path, histo, anatomy) but there is some movement to intergrate a more systems based curriculum. The New Dean is awesome and the campus is building 3 new biomed research centers. All in all its a young school and still carving out its niche, but turns out some terrific clinicians. The match list is national with students going into every specialty.

One thing about the curriculum, it does have a higher hours of lecture time compared to some other schools.

kent100s78 said:
I spoke to the admission coorinator, I was told when I apply the best thing to do is to move out to AZ and finish up my 90 credits or Bachelor's (which ever comes first)so I may establish residency.I have to stress how helpful and nice the staff is at UA.I am in brooklyn and used to everyone just ignoring you or just plain yelling, so you could imagine how I felt when I saw how nice everyone is in UA :)

Can anyone tell me how the school is?Are the students happy?How is the scheduale?

I did my post-bac/prereqs at U of A and would be happy to talk to you about that experience. Really look into the residency thing. I was told I could NEVER become a resident as long as I had moved to the state to attend school, that I would have to live and work a year after finishing school. To me it didn't matter too much since I didn't want to give up California residency, but definitely check into it if you for sure want to get residency. I know people who have done it though, so I am sure there are ways.

The school is your typical large state school, though probably you'll find it less diverse than what you are used to in NYC. I found that as a post-bac I was much more serious than about 85%-90% of the people in my classes, so it was very easy to get to know professors and get to do research. They have a great undergraduate research program in biology (UBRP) in the summer that you can. Lots of labs hire students also. People seem happy enough there. If you want to party, it's there. If you want to watch sports, it's there. If you want to just study, it's there. It's a huge place so you can find your niche.

Tucson is an okay city. I was definitely ready to leave after my two years, but I have always lived in very urban areas, NYC, Boston, San Francisco. So it was a bit of an adjustment, but it is very laid-back and has lots of outdoor stuff to do if you are into that. I had no trouble getting volunteer experiences, both in Tucson and across the border in Mexico, and the premed advising was decent. Dr. Nancy Stiller does post-bacs and she seemed pretty accessible and knowledgable when I spoke with her.

I am not sure what else to tell you but feel free to PM me with specific questions. Good luck :)

LoneCoyote

scrappydawg

I sent you guys PM. Iwant both your opinions. Thanks.