gabem480

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I was wondering if anybody thought a reccomendation from the speaker of the house in arizona legislature could improve my chance to being accepted to the U of A COM. My stats look like this GPA 3.3 Science GPA 3.6 MCAT 32Q. Keep in mind this person I know is a major reason the Phoenix campus expansion was approved any responses would be appreciated.

sunny1

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I was wondering if anybody thought a reccomendation from the speaker of the house in arizona legislature could improve my chance to being accepted to the U of A COM. My stats look like this GPA 3.3 Science GPA 3.6 MCAT 32Q. Keep in mind this person I know is a major reason the Phoenix campus expansion was approved any responses would be appreciated.

Are you aiming for the Phoenix campus, Tucson, or both?

In what context do you know the person? It is through something like a summer internship or more the route of a family friend?

I'd normally say if there's a legitimate relationship and therefore they are in a natural position to write you a LOR, then go for it. Apparently you may not even need a real relationship though, from the looks of another thread. ;)

gabem480

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I have known this person for close to ten years so there is a real relationship he is my mom's boss at work but he knows me because I have helped out around his office and helped his family move and I have also helped pass out some of his election fliers so he know that I have helped him out a bit.

About the Ads

I have known this person for close to ten years so there is a real relationship he is my mom's boss at work but he knows me because I have helped out around his office and helped his family move and I have also helped pass out some of his election fliers so he know that I have helped him out a bit.

From UofA's website:

"Applicants are asked to have three letters of recommendation submitted from individuals who know them well and can attest to their fitness for the medical profession. Applicants who submit a composite preprofessional committee letter from their school may submit two additional letters of recommendation but are not required to do so."

Generally, most would interpret that statement as obtaining letters from faculty professors and research advisors from within an academic environment, or clinicians. Although I am sure the speaker (Weiers, is it?) can attest to your personal skills, these are not all that are required for medicine.

I am not sure how the committee will take to a letter from a politician, it could go either way. It's up to you, but you could try calling the admissions office and ask. Maybe they would let you send it in addition to three other letters.

gabem480

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
James Weiers it is are you from Arizona? The reason I presented this question was that James was part of the reason that the expansion was approved and I thought that this might help me seeing as he has status in Arizona and he also supports medical education in Arizona.

frikarika

RADIOHEAD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
Planet Telex
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

hey it worked for the guy in florida...and he didn't even take the MCAT or go through AMCAS. I say give it a shot.

James Weiers it is are you from Arizona? The reason I presented this question was that James was part of the reason that the expansion was approved and I thought that this might help me seeing as he has status in Arizona and he also supports medical education in Arizona.

Yup!

The letter is supposed to be about you and your accomplishments, not Mr. Weiers. The admissions committee didn't have anything to do with the phoenix expansion, so his political agenda isn't going to make any difference for you. His status may help earn the letter credibility, although any more than that of a respected professor, I'm not sure.

I think it's effectiveness depends on two things, can he attest to your "fitness for the profession" as much as a faculty member could? And, how will the committee take to a letter from a politician? I would call the admissions office to make sure. Almost all schools require letters from academia or clinicians. Although UofA doesn't necessarily say that directly, they may prefer them as such.

hey it worked for the guy in florida...and he didn't even take the MCAT or go through AMCAS. I say give it a shot.
Sure, but there is a serious argument that the terms of UF's accredation was violated. (That situation is different than someone just getting an LOR from a prominent politician, like the OP, which is fine ethically. The circumstances surrounding that guy's admission to UF are just plain shady)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.