University of Arkansas MS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSDSkippy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for opinions about UAMS (ie what do ppl like/dislike about it), pros and cons, etc etc. I have been looking at their website for more info, but i'd like to get a more personal feel about the program. Any infor you can give me would be awesome!
Cheers!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I was just accepted to UAMS and will be attending there. Your question is more or less the question I asked the M4 and intern that interviewed me. Of course the obvious + is in state tuition if you're from Arkansas. They are also growing like crazy and are very strong in research in a few fields including multiple myloma and the Stephens spine building is very impressive. A better list of strengths would be straight off their website. They have a good USMLE pass rate (I don't have numbers), and it really seems that the school doesn't want to let anyone who matriculates fail out.

Negatives they mentioned would be simply the fact the school is in Arkansas and some people not from the south have old stereotypes of barefoot hillbillies. For the record there's nothing wrong with being barefoot hillbillies.

Thanks for the advice. Did you interview as out of state? When did notifications go out and was it via email or snail mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was instate. They send out a few acceptances on December 15th, even fewer on January 15th, and everyone gets a accepted/rejected/waitlist letter mailed on Feb 15th snail mail. I got a January letter and it was first class, I've heard unconfirmed that the big mailing in Feb comes priority.

I was instate. They send out a few acceptances on December 15th, even fewer on January 15th, and everyone gets a accepted/rejected/waitlist letter mailed on Feb 15th snail mail. I got a January letter and it was first class, I've heard unconfirmed that the big mailing in Feb comes priority.

I would venture to say that only acceptances were mailed Priority in Feb, since they give you two weeks to return the acceptance form.

Nope. They were all priority. I got my alternate letter on the 16th...but I promise you....my MCAT score was way low...to be an alternate I am ecstatic at this point....so tell all your friends to go elsewhere, for my sake:D

if you call, will they tell you where you stand on the alternate list? is there a different alternate list for IS and OOS?

I don't think they will tell you where you stand. I wouldn't think it would hurt to call and just ask what your options are and how you should proceed. I think you can choose to sign the primary care rural scholarship thing and get moved to the front of the list. The IS/OOS thing just boils down to they have to have at least 27 people from each of the 4 congressional districts and they have to accept an equally qualified Arkansas resident over an OOS student.

This leads me to believe that many of the OOS students that get accepted get in off the alternate list. My gross table partner (waitlisted) is from California and he got a phone call 2 days before registration asking if he could be in Little Rock on Tuesday.

Just curious to see who got in and what your stats were (if ya dont mind :) ). I believe acceptances were sent out 2/15, right? I'll be applying here this upcoming cycle. It's my top choice, being that I live 2 blocks away! I wish everyone the best of luck!