University of Arkansas - Waiting patiently...

texas1emt

UTEMS! Go 'Horns!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
San Antonio, TX
www.mhtx.net
    Is anyone else waiting to hear from UAMS (University of Arkansas)?

I'm an out of state student and I was wondering if anyone had heard any status from them at all. Supposedly, we're supposed to get notification via postal mail after February 15th.

How did you all feel about their panel interview? Having three interviewers was a first for me.

I couldn't find another thread for Arkansas, so I thought I'd start one!

CanuckRazorback

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Oct 30, 2004
    Hog Heaven
      texas1emt said:
      Is anyone else waiting to hear from UAMS (University of Arkansas)?

I'm an out of state student and I was wondering if anyone had heard any status from them at all. Supposedly, we're supposed to get notification via postal mail after February 15th.

How did you all feel about their panel interview? Having three interviewers was a first for me.

I couldn't find another thread for Arkansas, so I thought I'd start one!

Didn't that interview panel suck? It was my first interview and I so screwed up. They let me in anyway so I guess my idiotic answers to their questions didn't matter all that much. Last year, people started hearing from them around the 20-22 of Feb. Good luck!!!

Childe

10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Jul 25, 2003
      AR
      1. Medical Student
        I liked the panel interview, but both of my interviewers were nice and informal
        Dr. Shorey, my doc interviewer, was a very nice lady

I'd still like to know what others thought about the school

About the Ads

texas1emt

UTEMS! Go 'Horns!
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Jan 30, 2005
        San Antonio, TX
        www.mhtx.net
          The interview I thought went pretty well. I interviewed at UTHSCSA and the Dean of the medical school called my personal life 'dull' right there in the interview. It was way out of left field.

I interviewed with a nice older man who had a Ph.D., a Russian woman who also had a Ph.D., and a fourth year med student. I felt like it went well, they wanted to know a lot about me and seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say (unlike UTHSCSA). They had a lot of questions about my previous experience as an EMT and the business I've owned since 2002.

To be honest, when the hour was over, I was shocked. It felt like I was in there for 15 minutes tops. I am very interested to hear something as soon as possible... since my Texas match day ended horribly.

What's the percentage Arkansas allows for out of state students anyways?

texas1emt

UTEMS! Go 'Horns!
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Jan 30, 2005
          San Antonio, TX
          www.mhtx.net
            Just got an email back from UAMS. The admissions board meets this week to decide on late in-state applicants as well as out-of-state applicants. They're mailing out the letters as close to the 15th as possible. She said sometimes they run a little late.

Good luck to all of you who are waiting ever so patiently! ;)

OrthoFixation

1K Member
            7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Jun 26, 2003
            Livin' on Tulsa Time
              texas1emt said:
              Just got an email back from UAMS. The admissions board meets this week to decide on late in-state applicants as well as out-of-state applicants. They're mailing out the letters as close to the 15th as possible. She said sometimes they run a little late.

Good luck to all of you who are waiting ever so patiently! ;)

Did she say what day this week?

texas1emt

UTEMS! Go 'Horns!
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Jan 30, 2005
              San Antonio, TX
              www.mhtx.net
                OrthoFixation said:
                Did she say what day this week?

I can do you one better...

Code:
                Hello Major: 
                The Admissions Committee began their process this afternoon and will
                review files all week. Final decisions will be made Saturday and letters
                to all applicants, accepted or not, will be mailed from our office on
                the 15th of the month. I wish you well!
                Linda
                What did you guys think about Arkansas's (how do you do the 's on Arkansas anyways?!?) facilities and programs?

wantobemd

10+ Year Member
                Oct 15, 2004
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  UAMS always mails letters on Feb. 15. There are a few people accepted during December, but only 2 or 3 that I knew of last year. Many of us did not even set up our interviews until after the December adcom meeting was over.
                  If you are far from "home" and at an out of state school, you can interview in January during Christmas break.
                  Last year letter arrived priority mail and was a big fat envelope. I think wait list and rejection came in regular envelopes. I was told by some friends interviewing from out of state this year, that UAMS has said it will be taking many more from out of state this year. Good luck to all of you. Little Rock can be a fun place to be.

texas1emt

UTEMS! Go 'Horns!
                  10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Jan 30, 2005
                  San Antonio, TX
                  www.mhtx.net
                    wantobemd said:
                    I was told by some friends interviewing from out of state this year, that UAMS has said it will be taking many more from out of state this year. Good luck to all of you. Little Rock can be a fun place to be.

Yeah, Tom South was telling us all that there was a reduced number of in-state applicants, which opened some more spots for out-of-state folks. I am happy for that after my god-awful Texas match day... :confused:

I was just floored at how few people live in Little Rock and how big of an infrastructure the city has. Austin, Texas (about 90 miles NE of me) has about 30% of the highways Little Rock has, but it has 3-4 times as many people. :( They never planned for expansion like other cities.

About the Ads

acarson

7+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Nov 16, 2003
                    Springfield, Mo
                    1. Pre-Medical
                      I'm planning on applying to UAMS next year and I was wondering about the "in-state ties" requirement. I lived in Arkansas for about 10 years throughout some elementary, and all junior high and high school. I have been living an hour north of the border for the last 5 or 6 years, but my mom still lives in Arkansas, as do my in-laws. My wife and I plan to move back to Arkansas to raise our family. Does this meet the requirement for "close ties"? I have read where you can't even get an interview without this being satisfied.

texas1emt

UTEMS! Go 'Horns!
                      10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Jan 30, 2005
                      San Antonio, TX
                      www.mhtx.net
                        I'd say that's dang close ties. You should be able to get in-state status or some kind of consideration with that.

And you can get an interview as an out of state student. I have horrible grades with an okay MCAT and I got an interview. They might laugh when it comes to acceptance time, but I am keeping my hopes up.

CanuckRazorback

10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Oct 30, 2004
                        Hog Heaven
                          My acceptance letter/package was sent through regular mail and yes it is a big fat envelope.

Ties to the state can be demonstrated by a variety of documents. Having AR car tags, an AR license, and being registered to vote in AR will help. However, some people have been able to demonstrate strong ties through marriage to an Arkansan. I think having plans of raising your family in AR would probably qualify.

My thoughts about UAMS... They have a really nice clinical skills lab which is definitely a must considering the new clinical step 2. Their geriatric program is ranked top 10. Children's is also top notch from what I hear. If you're interested in primary care, it's definitely a good program (top 60 PC US News rankings) I don't think UAMS has quite the reputation of other top tier schools as far as research goes, but you could be surprised by some of the projects underway. I've been working with UAMS BioVentures and they have some neat biotech research projects.

That said, the students who showed us around did not look to be too happy to be there. The medical student on my panel was VERY obnoxious and I wasn't impressed. A medical degree from UAMS will go a long way in Arkansas, but might hurt your chances of a top residency. However, I know an orthopaedic surgeon who matched at Mass. General and more recently someone matched radiology at Michigan. There may be more success stories, but these are the two I am aware of. Also, the grading system is A-F but the students are cooperative (at least that's what my obnoxious med student panelist told me).

Another thing I may add is that a lot of the in-state students who are accepted will probably attend so there might not be as much movement on the waitlist as at other schools.

texas1emt

UTEMS! Go 'Horns!
                          10+ Year Member
                          5+ Year Member
                          Jan 30, 2005
                          San Antonio, TX
                          www.mhtx.net
                            CanuckRazorback said:
                            My thoughts about UAMS... They have a really nice clinical skills lab which is definitely a must considering the new clinical step 2. Their geriatric program is ranked top 10. Children's is also top notch from what I hear. If you're interested in primary care, it's definitely a good program (top 60 PC US News rankings) I don't think UAMS has quite the reputation of other top tier schools as far as research goes, but you could be surprised by some of the projects underway.

I was amazed by that clinical skills lab! WOW! A fourth year medical student was in there telling us about how much it helps on the USMLE Step 2. We got a little tour after our interview and I was quite impressed!

The geriatrics was also impressive. I got the idea that they aren't as heavily focused on research as other schools, but IMO I think MD's need to be more comfortable with patient contact rather than test tubes.

Childe

10+ Year Member
                            15+ Year Member
                            Jul 25, 2003
                            AR
                            1. Medical Student
                              tipp said:
                              Wonder how difficult it is to stay in-state to do your residency if you attended UAMS?
                              I think the real question is how hard it is to get out :p

Interestingly, my interviewer at WashU graduated from UAMS. I asked him that specific quesiton. He said he was top of his class, heh..

Childe

10+ Year Member
                              15+ Year Member
                              Jul 25, 2003
                              AR
                              1. Medical Student
                                texas1emt said:
                                How bad was yours? I had only one interview at UTHSCSA, but got a big ol' "No match" last night.

I wasn't hoping for much. The day I interviewed (11-22-2004) I realized I was surrounded by people who had practically cured cancer already... :mad:
                                Neither SW or UTMB graced me with a match. Alternate list at SW, whatever that means..

texas1emt

UTEMS! Go 'Horns!
                                10+ Year Member
                                5+ Year Member
                                Jan 30, 2005
                                San Antonio, TX
                                www.mhtx.net
                                  Childe said:

Interestingly, my interviewer at WashU graduated from UAMS. I asked him that specific quesiton. He said he was top of his class, heh..

My grandfather works in Northeast Texas and works with MANY MD's from UAMS. He said many of them have worked a while in his town and transferred into DFW/Houston hospitals.

texas1emt

UTEMS! Go 'Horns!
                                  10+ Year Member
                                  5+ Year Member
                                  Jan 30, 2005
                                  San Antonio, TX
                                  www.mhtx.net
                                    Childe said:
                                    Neither SW or UTMB graced me with a match. Alternate list at SW, whatever that means..

I wouldn't think Texas schools' waiting lists would move very quickly since a lot of my friends who got in really wanted to remain in Texas. Who knows, I might be on the list at UTHSCSA but that doesn't say much :(

OrthoFixation

1K Member
                                    7+ Year Member
                                    15+ Year Member
                                    Jun 26, 2003
                                    Livin' on Tulsa Time
                                      texas1emt said:
                                      I was just floored at how few people live in Little Rock and how big of an infrastructure the city has. Austin, Texas (about 90 miles NE of me) has about 30% of the highways Little Rock has, but it has 3-4 times as many people. :( They never planned for expansion like other cities.

I must be thinking of a different Little Rock. Since I moved from there in the '90s, they have not built one new highway or added lanes to the existing highway. In West Little Rock (very nice part of town), all roads are two or one lane. The traffic has increased a lot since I left. It's not quite Dallas yet, but alternate routes are few. Try going from I-630W to I-435N from mid-afternoon to 7 pm. It's walking pace.

That said, I can probably adjust :D Texas crapped on me too. All waitlist, no love. :thumbdown:

Facilities need a good upgrade so new hospital is coming, but 5 years out. Specialized areas looked first rate from the outside. They really do some advanced research on cancer, geriatrics, etc. from what I read.

I like it and instate residency program would be OK with me. It would be nice to be back close to family. Housing is more expensive than I like.

Good luck to you guys. Sounds like we're in the same boat in many ways.

About the Ads

texas1emt

UTEMS! Go 'Horns!
                                      10+ Year Member
                                      5+ Year Member
                                      Jan 30, 2005
                                      San Antonio, TX
                                      www.mhtx.net
                                        OrthoFixation said:
                                        I must be thinking of a different Little Rock. Since I moved from there in the '90s, they have not built one new highway or added lanes to the existing highway. In West Little Rock (very nice part of town), all roads are two or one lane. The traffic has increased a lot since I left. It's not quite Dallas yet, but alternate routes are few. Try going from I-630W to I-435N from mid-afternoon to 7 pm. It's walking pace.

Well yeah, I arrived the night before my interview around 5:30 and it was a little slow on the freeway, but a walking pace is better than Austin. I-35 in Austin runs at 2 mph for a 10-15 mile stretch from about 6AM-10AM and 2:30PM-8PM.

OrthoFixation said:
                                        I like it and instate residency program would be OK with me. It would be nice to be back close to family. Housing is more expensive than I like.

Coming from San Antonio, the housing is a little more than I expected. SA is quite cheap (I have a 700 sq ft 1-bed apt with patio, $500/month all bills paid).

As far as residencies go, I applied for the Air Force HPSP scholarship and they take care of everything after I graduate. :)

CanuckRazorback

10+ Year Member
                                        5+ Year Member
                                        Oct 30, 2004
                                        Hog Heaven
                                          Childe said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That is the question of the hour... Now that I think of it, the rad resident I know did graduate at the top of his class. According to his mom anyway :p

If you're interested in peds, it's much easier to match at children if you went to UAMS than somewhere else. Also, there's a lot of money at UAMS. People from the state really support their own so that explains all the new buildings and such.

About housing, if you're not worried about getting shot :eek: I am sure you can buy a house around campus for not too much. I thought the area was pretty scary, but whatever.

texas1emt

UTEMS! Go 'Horns!
                                          10+ Year Member
                                          5+ Year Member
                                          Jan 30, 2005
                                          San Antonio, TX
                                          www.mhtx.net
                                            CanuckRazorback said:
                                            About housing, if you're not worried about getting shot :eek: I am sure you can buy a house around campus for not too much. I thought the area was pretty scary, but whatever.

Ha ha, I second that. I live in the ghetto in San Antonio, but I stayed at the La Quinta across the interstate from the school and I spent the night keeping an eye on my truck out the window. I don't think I could live in that area. :cool:

CanuckRazorback

10+ Year Member
                                            5+ Year Member
                                            Oct 30, 2004
                                            Hog Heaven
                                              texas1emt said:
                                              Ha ha, I second that. I live in the ghetto in San Antonio, but I stayed at the La Quinta across the interstate from the school and I spent the night keeping an eye on my truck out the window. I don't think I could live in that area. :cool:

I stayed at the La Quinta in West Little Rock and it wasn't much better. As I was leaving to go to my interview, there was something going on right next door to the hotel as evidenced by the hoard of cop cars, ambulances, and fire trucks. Gotta love the rock.

texas1emt

UTEMS! Go 'Horns!
                                              10+ Year Member
                                              5+ Year Member
                                              Jan 30, 2005
                                              San Antonio, TX
                                              www.mhtx.net
                                                OrthoFixation said:
                                                I didn't realize traffic was that bad in Austin. I thought DFW was tough.

Yeah, Austin's pretty bad. It won the great acclaim last year of having:

#1 Worst Traffic in the State
                                                #1 Worst Traffic in the nation of cities its size

There's really only one way in and one way out, and that's I-35. And much of downtown is 3 lanes. It goes to four lanes for a little ways but it's not enough. DFW can get a little snarled at times, especially Central Expressway (never experienced it myself). My grandparents live northeast of dallas, about 100 miles northeast, and I swing around on E I-20 and I-635 which aren't too bad, even at 5PM.

Zback

10+ Year Member
                                                Nov 13, 2004
                                                1. Medical Student
                                                  texas1emt said:

Yes, the neighborhood around UAMS is not one I would be comfortable living in. I have not seen the on campus housing (dorms), how nice are they?

monstermatch

10+ Year Member
                                                  5+ Year Member
                                                  Nov 7, 2004
                                                    tipp said:
                                                    Yes, the neighborhood around UAMS is not one I would be comfortable living in. I have not seen the on campus housing (dorms), how nice are they?

The dorms suck, but soon they will be tearing them down and building new dorms downtown. As for housing, you want to live north of the highway, or even better north of Markham and no further east than the capitol building. If you are north of markham, you will be just fine - there are also tons of safe apartments right by the river west of downtown.

Zback

10+ Year Member
                                                    Nov 13, 2004
                                                    1. Medical Student
                                                      monstermatch said:
                                                      The dorms suck, but soon they will be tearing them down and building new dorms downtown. As for housing, you want to live north of the highway, or even better north of Markham and no further east than the capitol building. If you are north of markham, you will be just fine - there are also tons of safe apartments right by the river west of downtown.
                                                      When you say the dorms will be downtown, where exactly do you mean? I have also heard they have plans for a new hospital, has anyone heard that?

monstermatch

10+ Year Member
                                                      5+ Year Member
                                                      Nov 7, 2004
                                                        tipp said:
                                                        When you say the dorms will be downtown, where exactly do you mean? I have also heard they have plans for a new hospital, has anyone heard that?

Not sure where exactly the dorms would be located - i imagine near the rivermarket area. The reason they're building new dorms is because they're knocking down the old ones to build a new hospital. Again, not certain of the timetable - feel free to call and ask the deans, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to tell you all about it.

About the Ads

texas1emt

UTEMS! Go 'Horns!
                                                        10+ Year Member
                                                        5+ Year Member
                                                        Jan 30, 2005
                                                        San Antonio, TX
                                                        www.mhtx.net
                                                          tipp said:
                                                          I have also heard they have plans for a new hospital, has anyone heard that?

Yeah, Tom South or the other guy who talked to us said there's going to be a new hospital. He said something about there's a mental hospital type of facility right now that Arkansas has run out of money to maintain, so UAMS is going to build a new big hospital with a lot more infrastructure around it. And if I remember right, they're replacing the mental facility with a new one. Apparently the old one is in shambles.

monstermatch

10+ Year Member
                                                          5+ Year Member
                                                          Nov 7, 2004
                                                            The state mental hospital is right next door to UAMS - I wouldn't go so far as to say its in shambles, but they need a lot more inpatient beds for sure. Thats actually one of the best rotations third year - usually a lot of competition for those spots on the psych month

texas1emt

UTEMS! Go 'Horns!
                                                            10+ Year Member
                                                            5+ Year Member
                                                            Jan 30, 2005
                                                            San Antonio, TX
                                                            www.mhtx.net
                                                              CanuckRazorback said:
                                                              I'm sending good vibes down 540 and I-40 East!

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

You guys should call the hogs, maybe that will help :cool:

I am curious, people who haven't gone to school in Arkansas before, then end up going to UAMS - are they still considered Hogs? :rolleyes:

That's so different from Texas schools (well minus Texas Tech and Texas A&M) since they don't have mascots. I mean if you go to Texas Tech HSC for medical school, you're pretty much a Red Raider (as with Aggies at A&M). But if you go to UTSW or something like UT Houston/Galveston/San Antonio, you have no mascot. Contrary to *popular* out of state belief, not every Texas system facility has a mascot of some kind, and they're not all Longhorns! :)

Besides all that, do the med students get involved in Razorback football, basketball or baseball? From what I saw on the news when I was there for my interview, the folks in Arkansas are quite interested in the Razorbacks.

zshotts

10+ Year Member
                                                              Nov 14, 2004
                                                                Med students can enter a lotery for student tickets to Razorback football games. They usually play 2 games/season in little rock at War memorial stadium (adjacent to UAMS). Virtually everyone in Arkansas supports the hogs.

As far as dorms go, I have been in the present dorms and they are crap. My mom, who was in med school in the late 60's, also lived in those dorms. I think I remember hearing that the new dorms will be built on the UAMS campus. I have not heard anything about them building them downtown, and personaly I dont think that would make any sence.

OrthoFixation

1K Member
                                                                7+ Year Member
                                                                15+ Year Member
                                                                Jun 26, 2003
                                                                Livin' on Tulsa Time
                                                                  texas1emt said:
                                                                  From what I saw on the news when I was there for my interview, the folks in Arkansas are quite interested in the Razorbacks.

Everybody in Arkansas supports the HOGS! Even if you went to another school. I graduated from UA Fayetteville, but started out at UCA. Still didn't matter. Loved the Hogs all the time and still follow them.

CanuckRazorback

10+ Year Member
                                                                  5+ Year Member
                                                                  Oct 30, 2004
                                                                  Hog Heaven
                                                                    OrthoFixation said:
                                                                    Everybody in Arkansas supports the HOGS! Even if you went to another school. I graduated from UA Fayetteville, but started out at UCA. Still didn't matter. Loved the Hogs all the time and still follow them.

Whoo Pig Sooie!

No professional sports in AR = lots of Razorback love! :love:

The first time I visited Fayetteville, I couldn't believe there was a sign on the highway that said "Welcome to Fayetteville, Track Capital of the World, 34 NCAA championships" (well, it's 39 now, but anyway) These people get excited about anything related to Razorback athletics. It's really awesome! If you guys end up going to UAMS, you have to go to a game! I'm not a huge football fan and barely understand the game - I'm from Canada so hockey was my thing - but a Razorback game is something you just have to experience.

OrthoFixation

1K Member
                                                                    7+ Year Member
                                                                    15+ Year Member
                                                                    Jun 26, 2003
                                                                    Livin' on Tulsa Time
                                                                      The BBall environment is even better. I remember my first game at Barnhill Arena. Back then, the students drew tickets in a lottery for reserved student section. We got 5th row for the first five games :thumbup: Best seats I ever had.

That wild & crazy band director really got the fans worked up. Like we needed it.

Arkansas football and bball is definately an experience. Track is just plain domination. Had some good baseball teams too.

CanuckRazorback

Senior Member
                                                                      10+ Year Member
                                                                      5+ Year Member
                                                                      Oct 30, 2004
                                                                      Hog Heaven
                                                                        OrthoFixation said:
                                                                        The BBall environment is even better. I remember my first game at Barnhill Arena. Back then, the students drew tickets in a lottery for reserved student section. We got 5th row for the first five games :thumbup: Best seats I ever had.

That wild & crazy band director really got the fans worked up. Like we needed it.

Arkansas football and bball is definately an experience. Track is just plain domination. Had some good baseball teams too.

I think BB was probably better in Barnhill, but for some reason it doesn't feel as intense in Bud Walton Arena. I've only been to one game since I've been here, but it was a Kentucky game. Maybe I was sitting too high. That's neat that they used to draw tickets in a lottery. Now they have the 1$ student tickets, but you have to sit in the nosebleed section. I don't know what's the deal for BB, but it can't be much better than for football.

Track is just awesome and as a track athlete, I've always been impressed at how educated our fans were. I mean, they knew what good times were, what good distances were, etc. Usually, you have to explain the events. Not here!

ThreadkillerMD

Full Member
                                                                        10+ Year Member
                                                                        5+ Year Member
                                                                        Feb 6, 2005
                                                                          OrthoFixation said:

That's not true. I've lived in Arkansas my whole life, didn't go to UA Fayetteville, go to UAMS, and I HATE the HOGS!! My position seems to be in the minority, however. :thumbdown: I've yet to understand the connection between UAMS and the Razorbacks. UAMS is part of the Unviersity of Arkansas Sytem, but so are UA Little Rock and UA-Monticello, both of which have their own mascots and sports teams. UAMS is a PROFESSIONAL school, and shouldn't be associated with any mascot. I think its kind of REDNECK, but that's Arkansas for you.

Wiggy73

MS I's have more fun
                                                                          10+ Year Member
                                                                          5+ Year Member
                                                                          Jul 27, 2004
                                                                          studying anatomy
                                                                            ThreadkillerMD said:
                                                                            That's not true. I've lived in Arkansas my whole life, didn't go to UA Fayetteville, go to UAMS, and I HATE the HOGS!! My position seems to be in the minority, however. :thumbdown: I've yet to understand the connection between UAMS and the Razorbacks. UAMS is part of the Unviersity of Arkansas Sytem, but so are UA Little Rock and UA-Monticello, both of which have their own mascots and sports teams. UAMS is a PROFESSIONAL school, and shouldn't be associated with any mascot. I think its kind of REDNECK, but that's Arkansas for you.
                                                                            So much hate. :thumbdown:

After growing up in Arkansas, I went to college out of state and plan to spend my professional career far away, but I'll always love the Hogs. You just can't spend any time in Arkansas and not get caught up in Razorback mania. Embrace it.

Woo pig sooie!

About the Ads
                                                                            This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                                            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                                            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                                            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                                            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                                            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                                            7. This thread is locked.