University of Arkansas - Waiting patiently...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I too am awaiting, albeit not that patiently, on an acceptance package from UAMS. I wondered if anyone would ever start a thread relating to the Feb acceptances. My friend was accepted at UAMS in Dec. but we can't all be that lucky. My interview went amazingly, as a matter of fact the interviewers saw me in the lobby when I was getting ready to leave and said, "great job in there." I took it as a good sign, but maybe she was just being nice. We will see in a few days.

Members don't see this ad.

Good job on the interview DVLDOC.

Are you an out of state applicant?

No, I am a resident of Arkansas. Other than the six years that I was a field medic in the Navy I have lived here all of my life. I moved back here three years ago to go to college. Thanks for starting the thread, it is nice to read about the plights of others. UAMS is my first choice due to its cheapness factor and because I already live withing 10 min of the campus. I also applied to two schools in Virginia because my wife is from there. One rejected me the other never contacted me. How are your other applications coming, is UAMS at the top of your list? I heard that the match system in Texas sucks, a friend of mine went to DO school in North Texas to avoid the MD match system.

Members don't see this ad :)
DVLDOC said:
No, I am a resident of Arkansas. Other than the six years that I was a field medic in the Navy I have lived here all of my life. I moved back here three years ago to go to college. Thanks for starting the thread, it is nice to read about the plights of others. UAMS is my first choice due to its cheapness factor and because I already live withing 10 min of the campus. I also applied to two schools in Virginia because my wife is from there. One rejected me the other never contacted me. How are your other applications coming, is UAMS at the top of your list? I heard that the match system in Texas sucks, a friend of mine went to DO school in North Texas to avoid the MD match system.

Match day in Texas was a terrific disaster. Arkansas is my only one left. Check the links in my signature.

Tom South came to our school to speak with the few of us who applied this year, he told me that UAMS only accepted 2% out of state last year. I understand, however, that this year that number will be increasing due to a decreased instate applicant pool. Wow brother, you applied to a large number of schools. What was the thinking, cast a wide net? Our pre-professional advisor recommended that I apply to only a few, I think that they did not want to fill out too many recommendations. Not to mention that they think all of our graduates get into UAMS on autopilot, which is not true.

ThreadkillerMD said:
That's not true. I've lived in Arkansas my whole life, didn't go to UA Fayetteville, go to UAMS, and I HATE the HOGS!! My position seems to be in the minority, however. :thumbdown: I've yet to understand the connection between UAMS and the Razorbacks. UAMS is part of the Unviersity of Arkansas Sytem, but so are UA Little Rock and UA-Monticello, both of which have their own mascots and sports teams. UAMS is a PROFESSIONAL school, and shouldn't be associated with any mascot. I think its kind of REDNECK, but that's Arkansas for you.

:laugh: I think your writing skills are of the redneck kind :laugh:

DVLDOC said:
Tom South came to our school to speak with the few of us who applied this year, he told me that UAMS only accepted 2% out of state last year. I understand, however, that this year that number will be increasing due to a decreased instate applicant pool.
Originally there was supposed to be 10% max out-of-state students, but Tom said it will increase slightly this year. He told us this on Jan 8th.

DVLDOC said:
Wow brother, you applied to a large number of schools. What was the thinking, cast a wide net? Our pre-professional advisor recommended that I apply to only a few, I think that they did not want to fill out too many recommendations.
I applied to a lot because my grades aren't so great, and my parents chipped in for the application fees. My advisor told me to apply to as many as I want. Our Health Professions Office takes care of all of the mailing-out of the recommendations, so applying to the schools was a piece of cake. Besides, all the Texas apps are clumped together one on application. You'd be nuts not to apply to all the MD schools and the DO school since it's so easy and so cheap.

DVLDOC said:
Not to mention that they think all of our graduates get into UAMS on autopilot, which is not true.
Yeah, a lot of people from Texas thought that it was easy-breezy to get into a Texas school - they thought wrong. I knew I had no chance from the beginning. :)

texas1emt said:
Yeah, a lot of people from Texas thought that it was easy-breezy to get into a Texas school - they thought wrong. I knew I had no chance from the beginning. :)

I had only two Texas interviews but felt good about my chances, especially at one particular school. That was bunk. I'm in at out of state schools (2) but got waitlisted here at home :confused:

Odds show that 1 out of 2.5 applicants gets in in Texas. I guess I'm the 1.5 or 0.75 that got cut. :thumbdown:

Oh well, I guess my mega tax revenue in the future will go to another state!

Good luck to all the Ark hopefuls :luck: :cool:

Wiggy73 said:
So much hate. :thumbdown:

After growing up in Arkansas, I went to college out of state and plan to spend my professional career far away, but I'll always love the Hogs. You just can't spend any time in Arkansas and not get caught up in Razorback mania. Embrace it.

Woo pig sooie!

Well that's just great, and makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. So I should support this team because every other ******* in Arkansas does so. I went to another Division I school, and my loyalties lie there. Thank you very much.

CanuckRazorback said:
:laugh: I think your writing skills are of the redneck kind :laugh:

I probably know you, so I'm not going to call you a giant JACKASS. At least I'm not from Canada. :cool: :laugh: By the way, what the hell is wrong with my writing? Misspellings, grammatical errors, lack of "..., eh" at the end? :confused:

Nevermind, I can't know you--you just got accepted. I'll be on the lookout for third years with northern accents when I'm an intern :D JUST KIDDING!

Regardless of whether we like it or not, the hogs will be sending us the letters in one week from today. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
ThreadkillerMD said:
Well that's just great, and makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. So I should support this team because every other ******* in Arkansas does so. I went to another Division I school, and my loyalties lie there. Thank you very much.
One, I'm not a *******. Two, I'm not in Arkansas. And three, why are you making such a big deal out of this?

My daughter was accepted to UAMS Medical School in January. The envelope was postmarked January 14. Good luck to all those who are waiting ~ just a few more days. I am keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers!

LRARmom said:
My daughter was accepted to UAMS Medical School in January. The envelope was postmarked January 14. Good luck to all those who are waiting ~ just a few more days. I am keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers!

LRARmom, was your daughter an in-state or out-of-state applicant? I am assuming in-state...

4 days til our letters are mailed... ;)

Yes, in-state resident, but attending an out-of-state college. I really do hope you get in, texas1emt, since this is your last shot. I think you will be happy at UAMS.

They give out non-cognitive grades... in other words, they grade you on your conduct and demeanor in class. Welcome (back) to elementary school. That was just one aspect of their lame-ass-backwards administrative policies that seemed especially antiquated to me.

Linda DuPuy is the best.

The dorms are like staying at the TelAviv Holiday Inn... it's very ethnic and war-torn, to say the least.

Homogenous student body (aside from the rash of suicides recently), but still probably easier to be #1 in your class here than most other medical schools. Watch out for the facetious Hendrix kids.

The anatomy labs have locker/changing rooms!!! Don't let those dreams of steamy high school locker room encounters and jock straps die just yet... hot docs in smelly scrubs, yum.

boomuntilnoon said:
Linda DuPuy is the best.
Yeah, she definitely shocked me when I got there for the interview. I was the 2nd or 3rd one there and she was overly courteous. Even via email, she's been very responsive and quite kind. Compared to other admissions department folks I've been dealing with at other schools, UAMS has been nice so far. Whether I get in at UAMS or not, I am going to write Linda and tell her thanks for being so friendly, and then I'll write Tom South and tell him to give her a raise. :D

boomuntilnoon said:
The dorms are like staying at the TelAviv Holiday Inn... it's very ethnic and war-torn, to say the least.
Okay, so now I've heard this from one admissions department official, abour 4-5 different UAMS students on the tour, and about 3 people from the boards here at SDN. I think it's clear if I get in, I will avoid the dorms! :cool:

boomuntilnoon said:
Homogenous student body (aside from the rash of suicides recently), but still probably easier to be #1 in your class here than most other medical schools. Watch out for the facetious Hendrix kids.
Suicides, eh? People can't handle the workload? And do you mean homogenous as in racially homogenous? What the heck is a Hendrix kid?

Hendrix is a college in Conway, AR, about 30 min from UAMS. A disproportionately large number of Hendrix graduates go to medical school at UAMS. I am not sure exactly why this person finds us to be facetious, but to each his own. See you guys this fall, I hope.

DVLDOC said:
Hendrix is a college in Conway, AR, about 30 min from UAMS. A disproportionately large number of Hendrix graduates go to medical school at UAMS. I am not sure exactly why this person finds us to be facetious, but to each his own. See you guys this fall, I hope.

Its because Hendix students are particularly clubby during the first two years of med school - gives them the reputation of being insufferable snobs. Oddly enough, they tend to be some of the weakest students - I'm told their premed curriculum is one of the worst in the state.

i just browsed through this thread and thought i'd throw in my 2 cents on what caught my eye.

1. i wouldn't even discuss the dorms, b/c they're gone in may (hopefully we'll have an implosion party). people live all over lr/north little rock. one place isn't particularly better than the other. it's just what suits you.

2. the vast majority of people in arkansas are razorback fans. the schools here never play each other, so you can go to uca, asu, hendrix, etc. and still be a razorback fan. it's more of a state identity thing than anything else.

3. hendrix kids aren't that bad. they do develop a rep during orientation, but then they grow out of it.

4. the non-cog thing...it's easier to get arrested than to get one. you don't get marks for your class behavior else the rest of the back two rows and i would have been gone long ago.

5. i'm curious about why someone would be shocked by the locker rooms in gross labs. maybe they'd rather wear the same clothes they're going out in later. that cadaver smell will drive your date wild.

6. and it's extremely hard to be #1 at any school. i think the top 15-20% here would compete for the same at any other school in the country.

7. they are increasing the # of out of states quite a bit this year. for some reason 18 sticks in my mind.

8. about the strong ties thing, almost anything will work for that but to be a resident, you have to live in arkansas for 6 months prior to enrolling. they are very strict about this and will not change residency status for any reason.

9. overall, i love the atmosphere that our class creates. i interviewed at several other places, but feel that my time in medical school has been made a bit more bearable because of the people that i'm around every day.

Thanks for all the info CallawayDoc. I assume you're already a med student at UAMS? What year are you?

Little more than 72 hours til letters are mailed :thumbup:

Just thought I would join in on this thread, as I too am waiting on an acceptance (hopefully!) from Arkansas. It's my last shot, too, although I only applied to two other schools. I'm just trying to stay positive like everyone else, and hopefully come Wednesday afternoon (or maybe Thurs. or Fri. for you out-of-staters), we'll all have good news for each other. :)

Good luck everyone!! :thumbup:

Only one more day til the letters are mailed, you guys. How are you all holding up? This is my last hope and I am stressing (although not as much as I stressed the night of Jan 31st while waiting for my Texas matches).

I hope my result here is better than the Texas match day. Ugh, that was not fun.

Good luck to all of you! texas1emt, I'm pulling for you. :luck:

hi. good luck to everyone waiting...it won't be long now! I'll be attending uams (i got accepted in Jan.). For those who are currently attending, I have some questions. Do you use a computer much in or out of class? how necessary is it to have your own? Is anyone doing the MD/MPH program or know of anyone who is? Also, did any of you do the pre-matriculation program the summer before and if so was it useful?

Hopefully there will be lots of happy news here n a few days...!

KatieJune said:
hi. good luck to everyone waiting...it won't be long now! I'll be attending uams (i got accepted in Jan.). For those who are currently attending, I have some questions. Do you use a computer much in or out of class? how necessary is it to have your own? Is anyone doing the MD/MPH program or know of anyone who is? Also, did any of you do the pre-matriculation program the summer before and if so was it useful?

Hopefully there will be lots of happy news here n a few days...!

There are lots and lots of computers on campus - you can get by without one but I would suggest that you get one anyways for home use. A lot of the materials you will get will be on CD and its just simpler to be able to access that stuff at home. Plus there is a lot of important information on the listservs and its nice to be able to keep up with that stuff from home.

I didn't do prematriculation and didn't need to, but there are a few reasons you might want to. The best reason is if you want to run for class office - going to prematric gives you an opportunity to get to know some people in your class pretty well and would give you a real leg up on anyone who didn't attend prematric. If you want to run for class president, its pretty much essential. Prematric won't make a bit of difference as far as grades or success down the road, but I'm told that it can be a fun way to figure out who throws good parties!

monstermatch said:
There are lots and lots of computers on campus - you can get by without one but I would suggest that you get one anyways for home use. A lot of the materials you will get will be on CD and its just simpler to be able to access that stuff at home. Plus there is a lot of important information on the listservs and its nice to be able to keep up with that stuff from home.

I didn't do prematriculation and didn't need to, but there are a few reasons you might want to. The best reason is if you want to run for class office - going to prematric gives you an opportunity to get to know some people in your class pretty well and would give you a real leg up on anyone who didn't attend prematric. If you want to run for class president, its pretty much essential. Prematric won't make a bit of difference as far as grades or success down the road, but I'm told that it can be a fun way to figure out who throws good parties!

hey, thanks for the info. so tell me why prematriculation won't help with grades? (as that would be the only reason I'd do it). I've been out of school for a few years, and I just want to review stuff. Would it not be useful for this purpose? Do you know anyone who did it? Thanks! :)

i've got some very good friends that did pre-matric and loved it. they felt it kind of helped them ease into school a little better. you also get to be very good friends with those people. i've heard alot of people say they wished they had done it.

also, i would definitely get a computer with a good internet connection. i couldn't imagine not having it for school related stuff.

i do know of one girl (for sure) in my class who is doing md/mph. basically you lose some of your summers, but you finish on schedule from what i am told.

Good luck everyone :luck:

Let's hope the mailman brings good news. I understand that big envelopes are good news and regular sized is not. :eek:

KatieJune said:
Also, did any of you do the pre-matriculation program the summer before and if so was it useful?

How long is this prematriculation program? How many hours / day? Is it free or carry a fee?

Yes, big envelope = acceptance!

I hope UAMS will mail many of these envelopes to all you SNDers.

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

CanuckRazorback said:
Yes, big envelope = acceptance!

Well if bigger envelopes mean better news, give me a 10 pound box! :thumbup:

Ooh Rah! Texas, I too would prefer the ten pound box option. I think that I remember reading somewhere on here, but I did not check back, that the letters were postmarked Feb. 14 last year. If this is the case, mine could very well come today. I was not too nervous about it until yesterday afternoon, now I am decidedly anxious. I probably won't be of much use to my research prof. today. I will be at the school until at least 5 today + 45 min to get home. My wife will get the mail, I can't imagine what she would do if a rejection showed up. She will already be at work by the time that I get home so I bet she would just put it back in the mailbox and act as if she didn't get the mail. That is probably what I would do. Anyway, good luck people, try not to be too nervous I bet most of you have stronger stats than I do, so you are likely to get the seat that my butt has yearned for since I was a child.

From Linda in the admissions office at 11:14AM CST on 15-Feb-2005:

Code:
Greetings Major,
The letters are in today's mail. Our office is indeed restricted from
sharing any information regarding acceptance through any method other
than the US mail in order to protect the notification process.
Hopefully, you should know something within the next few days. 
Best to you,
Linda

I'm going to buy a tent from Academy and just camp out by my apartment complex mailbox... :)

I wonder if that means that the letters went out yesterday and they are in today's mail, or if that means that they went out in today's mail and will be in the mail tomorrow. I hope they went out yesterday and mine arrives at my house today. Otherwise I will be waiting until tomorrow, which I imagine will lead to the consumption of an uncharacteristic amount of beer this evening.

well, they're off. I hope you get the good news soon. Good luck!

DVLDOC said:
I wonder if that means that the letters went out yesterday and they are in today's mail, or if that means that they went out in today's mail and will be in the mail tomorrow. I hope they went out yesterday and mine arrives at my house today. Otherwise I will be waiting until tomorrow, which I imagine will lead to the consumption of an uncharacteristic amount of beer this evening.

I am not quite sure. Linda told me before that they've never been late on sending them out. I'd assume they might have been sent today, but who knows.

Ditto on the alcohol, but replace the beer with vodka. :cool:

Why don't they just put a couple of Xanax in the rejection letters and maybe one Xanax in the waitlist letters? That'd make the process easier :D

I hope that they come today, I am having a hell of a time concentrating on anything else. Not that I have anything else important to concentrate on, just senior comp exam on Fri.

Dreaming of big envelopes (or 10 lb. boxes :D ) for all of us!!! I'm afraid to call home to see if, maybe, by some chance, it came in today's mail...I feel so bad for my mom since I told her that the only good news comes in big envelopes...wouldn't that be awful to have to tell your child that she didn't get in to her last chance (and top choice) school? I wish I had my med school mail sent to school instead of home...Ahh, well, hopefully a rejection is not in my future! Happy drinking and waiting, everyone!! :cool:

KatieJune said:
hey, thanks for the info. so tell me why prematriculation won't help with grades? (as that would be the only reason I'd do it). I've been out of school for a few years, and I just want to review stuff. Would it not be useful for this purpose? Do you know anyone who did it? Thanks! :)

I didn't do prematric, but from what I gather, prematric seemed like more of a social thing than a school thing. I'm not saying its worthless - not at all, I'm sure people have a lot of fun and learn a little bit, and that is always important! And yea, you might get a glimpse of the brachial plexus before everyone else does, but the real deal is a lot different. Anyhow, if you are concerned about the transition to med school, then go ahead & do it - I'm sure you'll be happy you did. Just don't think that you HAVE to do it. UAMS is really a great school when it comes to helping students transition from one phase to another, and this is just one more thing they offer in that regard.

No acceptance package today, but tomorrow almost definitely holds my letter, be it good or ill.

I'll bet the letters were mailed today. I would think that those of you in central Arkansas will receive letters tomorrow. Those of you out in the state perhaps tomorrow, but more likely Thursday. Texas1emt... I think it will be at least a couple of days before you receive your (BIG THICK) envelope. I know this waiting is SO hard for you. We're all rooting for you!!

Aaand there off!! . . . . . . as they would say in Hot Springs this time of year.

Good luck to everyone. Dreaming of a biiiiig envelope in Texas :thumbup:

Well I am waiting on my 50lb box... Forget the thick envelope :)

Has anyone heard anything today?

Not yet...Still praying and hoping.

I'm going to check if the mail-person (let's be politically correct :) ) has dropped off anything in an hour or so. I doubt there will be anything there. I live in South Texas - well San Antonio to be specific - and I am thinking Thurs/Fri but I might be pleasantly surprised.

Have y'all checked your mailbox today yet? And if so, whereabouts do you live?