University of Arkansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemist0157

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's not many of us at the moment, but here's a thread for those of us who have been accepted to UAMS! It's my state school and the cheapest so I'm keeping it open as a pretty viable option.

Members don't see this ad.

Arkansas was my first acceptance (and I will most likely go there). I am freakin pumped. I can finally stop prefacing everything I say with "If I get in...".

I got in last year and deferred to finish my research. Hope to see you guys in the fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that there are dorms for med students across the street from UAMS. Are they comfortable? Can you cook in these places or are you stuck with dorm food? What's the price?

How far would you have to drive from UAMS to get a decent one room apartment? How much would the rent be in that relatively close and comfortable apartment?

If they want to commute daily how difficult is it for medical students to get a parking space?

I understand that there are dorms for med students across the street from UAMS. Are they comfortable? Can you cook in these places or are you stuck with dorm food? What's the price?

How far would you have to drive from UAMS to get a decent one room apartment? How much would the rent be in that relatively close and comfortable apartment?

If they want to commute daily how difficult is it for medical students to get a parking space?

The "dorms" are designed more for graduate students so there are 3 types of accomodations. 1. a suite in which you have a single room to yourself but share a bathroom with the adjoining suite. There is a central kitchen that is shared by all the residents.
2. A studio which includes your own kitchen. Its not a full kitchen but yo u havethe basics. ~500/mo
3. A 1-bedrrom apt which is pretty much you traditional apartments wot all the amenities. ~$750/mo
All the of these are furnished and come with cable and internet. I'm not 100% on the prices stated above but i dont think i'm too far off.
you can also look on craigslist for apartments off campus. There are lots of apartment within resonable distance from campus. Some people prefer to live further out because they dont llike the are surrounding the med school but i personally dont see it as a problem.

rent in the area is comparable to what you get on campus except it would not be furnished and you would typically still be responsible for utilities.

I think the med school website should have a link to campus housing where you can get info on how to apply for housing.

Hey mydodger and everyone else. Congrats on getting accepted. I will most likely be there next year too unless something crazy happens.

From what I hear from people who I know at uams, a-lot of people live in the area around the med school. The key is to live north of markham, south of markham the area gets shady. I have been around that area when I visit a bunch and have never felt nervous in the area. Also, parking is bad. I think students have to park in a parking lot near war memorial stadium and can either walk or take a bus to the school. My plan is to probably live close enough to campus so that I can walk or take a bike.

Studio dorms are $575/month, and what SpaceWrangler said about parking is spot on. One of the better parts of living in the dorms is having a parking lot right next to you. Being a 2 minute walk from class doesn't hurt, either.

Al,

You are the best. You are chock full of good advice and information. You patrol this thread to give clear answers to any and all questions.

Thanks,

O-Dad

Also, parking is bad. I think students have to park in a parking lot near war memorial stadium and can either walk or take a bus to the school.

Yeah parking is at war memorial...I worked there a couple of summers ago, waiting for the bus usually isn't too bad.

Oh yeah, greetings potential classmates! :)

Parking isn't necessarily at War Memorial, but I understand that the student lot fills up pretty quickly. I'd advise parking on one of the streets directly across Markham and walking to class from there if you can't find a spot in the gravel lot. It's a lot closer then War Memorial.

I received my acceptance packet in the mail today(I live a little over an hour away from Little Rock). Without a doubt, this is the happiest day of my life! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in August, and I wish all of those who are out there waiting the very best of luck. Also, congratulations to the other new members of the UAMS COM Class of 2013.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my acceptance packet in the mail today(I live a little over an hour away from Little Rock). Without a doubt, this is the happiest day of my life! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in August, and I wish all of those who are out there waiting the very best of luck. Also, congratulations to the other new members of the UAMS COM Class of 2013.

Congratulations and welcome.

Hey Everyone-
I also got a January letter earlier this week. I noticed there wasn't a Class of 2013 group on FB so I went ahead and created one.

Good luck to everyone else!

Hey Everyone-
I also got a January letter earlier this week. I noticed there wasn't a Class of 2013 group on FB so I went ahead and created one.

Good luck to everyone else!

Welcome.
Could you post a link please?

Last year the rising M2 officers (they're M2's this year, that is) created a semi-official Facebook group for us. Ms. DuPuy is a member of it, in fact. It's possible that something similar will be created this year, but I'm not sure. I'll let my class president know that you made a group so we can include it in a future mailer. :)

edit: Never mind that. A member of my class made the group. I'll still spread the word, though.

Last edited:
Thanks Milkman.

If this (creating a group) needed to be done by someone official just let me know and I can un-create it if need be.....

Nah, it's Facebook. :p I just thought the class above me made it as some sort of student government function, but I was wrong. No worries!

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know if there is a pre-matricualtion physical exam required for UAMS? I know some schools require this in addition to the vaccinations.

Welcome those who are accepted. I'm an M2 and want to give a plug for the 3 week pre-matriculation program run by one of our most popular faculty Dr. Pasley. If you have the choice of this or going to Europe, go to Europe by all means. But if you already live in the area and have the time, I'd suggest going.

It's an excellent opportunity to meet some of your classmates and find a support group before day one. You also get to meet with docs from many different specialties and course directors. You'll know where stuff is on the first day when the rest of the class is absolutely lost. You'll get advice from last year's M1's about how they managed to survive or thrive. You'll also get lectures on some of the basic sciences (mainly biochem/cell bio) from M1's where many of them will give away what they found important and what to pay attention to. You'll get a flier in your packet I believe about it.

Hey, I'm a second year at UAMS and if you all have any questions about the School, med school in general, or whatever, pm me.

Also, did any of you all that got in this week get the background check email on thursday morning?

Hey, I'm a second year at UAMS and if you all have any questions about the School, med school in general, or whatever, pm me.

Also, did any of you all that got in this week get the background check email on thursday morning?

Yeah I got in this past Friday and I got the background check email on Thurs morning too.

Has anyone received and filled out the actual criminal background check yet?

I don't believe I got a letter about this in my packet. Where could I go for more information on it? Do you know if I will be able to do say just the last week of the program? (I work and won't be able to quit until the last of July, perhaps a bit earlier if I accrue some vacation time)

You know I bet the letter will come near the end of this semester. I plan to be giving one of the talks there so I know it is still on. I'm going to give a presentation on opportunities for medical students in the Arkansas Army National Guard.

You'll get several mailings over time as you get closer to white coat day.

hey fellas, just got accepted into audiology at UAMS.. I've seen a few recommendations for living around the area.. the AuD facility is in university plaza on asher.. any suggestions for 1 bed apartments/housing? I want the cheapest possible while not living in a ****hole area.. thanks for any input :)

There are bunches of small houses across the street from UAMS, but that might be a little expensive for just one person. There are bunches of apartments further off campus, though. The dorms are also a reasonable choice if convenience is big to you. I don't much more than that, but I can say that you'd probably be better off getting a roommate since there's so much more multiple-person housing immediately next to the school. If you can find someone in pharm or med school to room with, your studies won't be interrupted.

First off to dustbug...Congrats on getting in!

The asher area is pretty sketchy to put it mildly. But, I would try looking west Little Rock off of chenal (which feeds directly onto 630) The rent is really reasonable, and the drive really is not that bad at all.

An M2 friend of mine is looking for a roommate. He was one of my gross partners. Here's what he sent on the listserv. PM me if you want to contact him.

I hope Y'all are doing well, and my apologies for the clutter. My name is Max and I am an M2 here at UAMS. For those of you who might be interested or know someone who might be interested, I own a really nice house less than two miles west of campus and am currently looking for two more roommates. The house is fully furnished and, besides the nice location, has hardwood floors, new appliances, a huge porch and backyard, and comes complete with a 6-week old golden retriever and 6-month old athletically gifted housecat! Seriously, what more are you looking for... Anyway, if this hasn't sold you on the place, come by and check out the rooms for yourself...or use that as an excuse to grab a beer and play with the dog! Just drop me a line or shoot me an email so I can make sure to be home. Thanks for your time, I know it's precious.

Big ups to UAMS.

Been a member of SDN for a while. It's been a huge help and alot of fun.

Too bad I just found this sticky since I'm about to graduate.

Any of you guys/girls need any help with anything, let ole doctron know.

Hey guys,

Does anyone know the proper way to withdraw your acceptance?

I would call the Admissions office and ask to speak with Linda DuPuy- she will know for sure. I suspect that you'll need to submit it formally in writing.

I would call the Admissions office and ask to speak with Linda DuPuy- she will know for sure. I suspect that you'll need to submit it formally in writing.

You will need to submit something in writing. But like the above poster said, speak to ms Dupuy first.
And please do it as soon as posible so they can start making arrangments to fill the spot.

Good luck.

You will need to submit something in writing. But like the above poster said, speak to ms Dupuy first.
And please do it as soon as posible so they can start making arrangments to fill the spot.

Good luck.

Yes, do it quick. I know people who are on that wait list that would appreciate it.

Hey guys! I'm really interested in living in UAMS housing and I took a tour of the duplex dorm and studio apt last week. They didn't have any vacant one bedroom apts available. Does anyone know someone that lives in the one bedroom apts that would be willing to let me take a peek at their place? I would really like to see this type of apt before I submit my housing application. It doesn't matter if its junky or anything. I can look past that!

Alright, places to avoid in the Little Rock area are: Jacksonville, Asher, downtown Little Rock...where else? I've been accepted at UAMS and will probably matriculate this fall. How does everyone like the Little Rock area? I've lived in Mobile Alabama and Biloxi MS but nowhere in AR have I ever set foot.

Alright, places to avoid in the Little Rock area are: Jacksonville, Asher, downtown Little Rock...where else? I've been accepted at UAMS and will probably matriculate this fall. How does everyone like the Little Rock area? I've lived in Mobile Alabama and Biloxi MS but nowhere in AR have I ever set foot.

I chose to live based on the fact that I have 3 kids. Benton/Bryant (Saline County) and Maumelle are the areas I'd recommend for those with kids. The public schools are better in Saline but I much prefer Maumelle over Saline county.

Any of you guys have any idea how is the general surgery program @ UAMS?

BUMP! Everyone getting excited? Class starts on August 10th, so we are just over 2 months away! Anybody get housing yet? Which complexes will you be living in?

I'm sitting in my dinky, little wood paneled cubicle at work thinking I can't wait til school starts.....of course that will all end 15 minutes into the first lecture. :scared:

Last edited: