University of auckland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

THE QUEEN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello

I was accepted to study in Auckland uni but before that i should study a foundation course in ACG
for 1 year,tho i studied the same subjects before
so before going there i need to know more about Auckland med school because I already started in another uni -wanna compare:D-
first about the exams...there will be midterm or only one exam which is the final exam??and will it be 80% or less for grading? there are any reset exams???:p
what about the electives??how many courses i should take?
i need to know more to decide but these are the only questions in my mind right now,and there is any thing i should know about???

plz help it really matter to me :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

First off, Were you actually accepted into Medical school in Auckland and they just said you had to take a foundation course first or were you accepted into the first year health science course but required a foundation course before it. The reason being is that most people have to take a 1st year health science course and then apply and interview to actually get into medical school. The exception being if you already have a valid science university degree such as Bio, Biochem, etc then you can start directly in Second year (which is actually really the first year of medical school).

As far as the grades go here it is roughly as follows:
2 year- one to two smaller midterm type tests worth around 15%. Final exams at the end of each semester worth 70-65%. Then a gross anatomy, micro-anatomy practical at the end of each semester worth 15%.
3 year- similar set up except you also have an OSCE dealing with how to examine patients at the end of the year
4 year- Assignments during the year as well as supervisor grades and OSCEs for each different run you do such as gen surg, gen med, etc as well as two final paper exams at the end of the year over the entire year's worth of material
5 year- similar to 4th year but your two exams at the end of the year can cover anything that you have learned in the past four years (they tend however to make it more clinically minded). You also have a short case OSCE at the end of this year as well which could cover anything it just depends on the patients they are able to get for the exam.
6 year- No final big exams but you have Long and short case OSCE's again as well as other assignments such as audits etc.

You get 4 weeks in 5th year and 8 weeks in 6th year to have electives. Oh and there are resets in years 2 and 3 but not 4 and 5. If you fail them you have to just repeat the year.

Hope this helps.

hi greens
thanks alot,those really helped :)
now i should decide... and its so difficult to decide