University of Buffalo Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

lunguv

I am sending my deposit soon. Who else will be joining me? :)

My stats... for a reference point.

AA:19
PA:18
Quantitative reasoning:16 (i didnt look at the time, and i didnt answer 10/40 questions)
Reading Comprehension:22
Biology:20
General Chemistry:21
Organic Chemistry:18 (only had organic 1 under my belt)
Total Science:20

Gpa after my freshman year in college... 2.0 cumulative. Gpa after first semester of senior year, 3.4. Science, 3.3.

Highly Recommended (this is the highest possible) by our pre-med committe.

So as you can see... I am a slightly above average applicant. Should give hope to some people who had bad semesters or not so stellar GPA's ;).

So yeah, Who is joining me?

Members don't see this ad.

lunguv said:

My stats... for a reference point.

AA:19
PA:18
Quantitative reasoning:16 (i didnt look at the time, and i didnt answer 10/40 questions)
Reading Comprehension:22
Biology:20
General Chemistry:21
Organic Chemistry:18 (only had organic 1 under my belt)
Total Science:20

Gpa after my freshman year in college... 2.0 cumulative. Gpa after first semester of senior year, 3.4. Science, 3.3.

Highly Recommended (this is the highest possible) by our pre-med committe.

So as you can see... I am a slightly above average applicant. Should give hope to some people who had bad semesters or not so stellar GPA's ;).

So yeah, Who is joining me?
HI ... I have an interview at Buffalo tomorrow - and i was just wondering .. since u've already been throught the interview jazz ... could you tell me if you flew there... how far is the airport from the university .. how busy is the airport ... and did u live at travelodge...i fly in tomorrow night and back at 5pm as soon as the interview is done.. plz give me some advice so i am prepared if im short on time!

I actually drove there from Chicago. It took me about 9 hours to get there. The travelodge was all booked up, so i stayed in some placed called "amherst" something, I forgot the exact name. It was about 1 mile from the campus, and it was a very nice place. It only cost me around 60$, it was a room with 2 beds. The only advice I can give you is not to worry. It was not stressful at all. Just be yourself, and you will do fine. Make sure you are ready to answer the question "Define Professionalism." If you have any other questions, let me know.

Smilei32 said:
HI ... I have an interview at Buffalo tomorrow - and i was just wondering .. since u've already been throught the interview jazz ... could you tell me if you flew there... how far is the airport from the university .. how busy is the airport ... and did u live at travelodge...i fly in tomorrow night and back at 5pm as soon as the interview is done.. plz give me some advice so i am prepared if im short on time!

Members don't see this ad :)
lunguv said:
I actually drove there from Chicago. It took me about 9 hours to get there. The travelodge was all booked up, so i stayed in some placed called "amherst" something, I forgot the exact name. It was about 1 mile from the campus, and it was a very nice place. It only cost me around 60$, it was a room with 2 beds. The only advice I can give you is not to worry. It was not stressful at all. Just be yourself, and you will do fine. Make sure you are ready to answer the question "Define Professionalism." If you have any other questions, let me know.

Thanks a lot for the encouragement! :) ... just a last thing what about that writing sample deal? - no way i can prepare for it right?

No you will not be able to prepare for it. To tell you the truth, I SUCK at writing papers. I'm not that bad, but I’m not the most eloquent or flowery writer. My writing sample did not even go well. I ran out of time, and I basically just tried to spell words correctly and to sound somewhat intelligent. I guarantee half of the interviewees had better writing samples than me. I don’t think they place a heavy emphasis on the writing sample, it is mostly to make sure you can write decently, and that your writing is comprehensible. So don’t worry about it too much. The question will be very basic, just organize your thoughts and imprint something coherent on the piece of paper you are given.

Smilei32 said:
Thanks a lot for the encouragement! :) ... just a last thing what about that writing sample deal? - no way i can prepare for it right?

lunguv said:

I'll be joining you. I sent in my deposit in early December. I am still waiting for a follow up package with info on the FAFSA code, immunizations, etc. But I called Barbara W. in admissions and she said it is coming soon.

I live in Amherst about a 10-15 minute drive from the university, so I am all set. Just waiting for August 1st to come by so I can start!

Any ideas on where you plan on living? Anyone else definitely coming to Buffalo? I think I saw one other person on the "Where are you going" thread.

Smilei32 said:

I stayed at the Travelodge for my interview and found it to be really loud (walls are paper thin) and run down. The shower still had used soap and shampoo from the previous user and I found hair on the bed. It is close though, but knowing what I know now, I would have gone elsewhere.

Airport is not busy.

I am 90%sure that I will be joining you guys at Buffalo in the fall. Deposit is in and I have been looking at houses to buy and move my family to (they are quite the deal in Buffalo). I am just waiting to here from one last school to make the final decision. I look forward to meeting all of you.
GPA of 3.2 Dat of 24/21

bouncy_ball said:
I stayed at the Travelodge for my interview and found it to be really loud (walls are paper thin) and run down. The shower still had used soap and shampoo from the previous user and I found hair on the bed. It is close though, but knowing what I know now, I would have gone elsewhere.

Airport is not busy.

Hey Bouncy, that's hillarious cuz the second night I stayed there, this couple comes slamming through well past midnight. 25min of fuc****, moaning and bed banging later and they're outta there. Paper thin doesn't really get the message across. I'd have said something but hey, I wouldn't have wanted to be bothered if it was me :D

eran76 said:
Hey Bouncy, that's hillarious cuz the second night I stayed there, this couple comes slamming through well past midnight. 25min of fuc****, moaning and bed banging later and they're outta there. Paper thin doesn't really get the message across. I'd have said something but hey, I wouldn't have wanted to be bothered if it was me :D

:laugh: :laugh: yes, a very classy joint...

bouncy_ball said:

Airport is not busy.

my experience in travelodge was very similar to yours bouncy, but it was already to late for me to do anything - so i stayed there anyways and i guess it was just a night.... I ALSO found a hair in my bed.. I ALSO found the walls to be paper thin... and although there wasnt used soap in the bathroom, the bathroom did have some other issues - i hope the next batch of people interviewing in Buffalo read this and learn from it!

Hi guys. I just wanted to bring this thread back being that I am going to be joining you at Buffalo.

Anyone look into any housing yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dentist 2 be said:
Hi guys. I just wanted to bring this thread back being that I am going to be joining you at Buffalo.

Anyone look into any housing yet?

Hey! I was wondering if there was a Buffalo thread floating around :) I'm interested in checking out some of the apartment buildings in downtown buffalo. They seem to be about a 10 min drive away from the school - but I still haven't had the opportunity to really explore the city so that may change... :)

I looked at some of the campus housing via virtual tours and they kind of look scary to me. loll. I think I will most likely not live on campus.

Smile87: Where are you from? tristate area?

One of my friends is going to UB pharmacy school so I might get a 2 bedroom apartment with him. I saw a really nice one but it's kind of pricey so if we split the rent it won't be bad at all. Plus, it's in Amherst which, I heard is one of the nicest towns. Williamsville is also nice from what I remember.

smile87 said:
Hey! I was wondering if there was a Buffalo thread floating around :) I'm interested in checking out some of the apartment buildings in downtown buffalo. They seem to be about a 10 min drive away from the school - but I still haven't had the opportunity to really explore the city so that may change... :)

I live in Williamsville about a 10 minute drive from the school. I'm looking forward to starting and meeting all of you on August 1st.

Regarding housing, Amherst is the town right next door from the Dental School, and it is much nicer than the city of Buffalo. It is not quite as exciting, but it has everything that you need (supermarket, golf course, malls, bike trails, bars, etc.). And it is not much more expensive than Buffalo. A 2 bedroom suitable for 2 people wouldn't be more than say $800 per month.

I live very close to the North Campus in the WIlliamsville section of Amherst. As a UB dental student, you have access to everything at the North Campus - the gym, libraries, parking lots, etc. The libraries are very nice and I plan on spending a lot of time there once school starts. So you might want to check out places in Amherst near the North Campus.

If you haven't checked out the orientation page yet, there is a message board where students are posting about housing. Check it out at http://www.sdm.buffalo.edu/orientation/

I've only lived here for 8 months, so I am not an expert. But if you have any questions on where to live, feel free to PM me.

Hey ncalate,

I'm wondering is Amherst considered a nice town/neighborhood? is it safe? I really liked the 2 bedroom apt I saw for rent in Amherst.

Dentist 2 be said:
Smile87: Where are you from? tristate area?

Hey :) I live in westchester (NY)- about a 45 minute drive from the city.

Dentist 2 be said:
Hey ncalate,

I'm wondering is Amherst considered a nice town/neighborhood? is it safe? I really liked the 2 bedroom apt I saw for rent in Amherst.

I used to live in Amherst before movign out to California for High School. It was a great neighborhood! I had nothing but fond memories of it. Amherst schools are consistently one of the top 50 in the country, which says a lot about the area. There were patches of govt assisted apartments (like on Allenhurst St bordering Kenmore) and those were a bit shady, other than that, great place!

Dentist 2 be said:
Hey ncalate,

Amherst is considered one of the nicest suburbs of Buffalo. Amherst, along with another town called Clarence, have mostly middle to upper class people living there. As an example, my wife who works in a dental office, all of the dentists live either in Amherst or certain areas of the city of Buffalo.

Amherst used to be the safest city in America! I'm not kidding. It dropped down to #3 on the list in the past year. But check out this link to see for yourself: http://realtytimes.com/rtcpages/20021211_safecities.htm

The only downside is that you have to have a car.

Hope that helps.

Thanks that really does help a lot!!!! I guess Amherst is where I'll be living.

BTW, when does school/orientation officially begin?

Dentist 2 be said:
BTW, when does school/orientation officially begin?

I called the admissions office and they said that orientation begins on Monday August 1. I *think* orientation lasts two weeks, with classes then beginning on Monday August 15. But I am not sure... classes could start a bit earlier. But count on showing up at school on Monday 8/1.

K great thanks. I guess they will send us more info over the course of the next few months.

Dentist 2 be said:
Hey ncalate,

My hometown is Amherst. Amherst's most recent claim to fame would be John Stevens from last season's "American Idol."

Amherst is a very safe & nice place to live. They clean the roads incredibly fast when it starts to snow. Easy to access supermarkets, stores, malls, the highways, etc.

Most of my friends in dental school all lived in Amherst.

ncalcate said:
Amherst is considered one of the nicest suburbs of Buffalo. Amherst, along with another town called Clarence, have mostly middle to upper class people living there. As an example, my wife who works in a dental office, all of the dentists live either in Amherst or certain areas of the city of Buffalo.

Amherst used to be the safest city in America! I'm not kidding. It dropped down to #3 on the list in the past year. But check out this link to see for yourself: http://realtytimes.com/rtcpages/20021211_safecities.htm

The only downside is that you have to have a car.

Hope that helps.

I grew up in East Amherst. Its definitely a very nice place to live, especially if you have a family. The schools (I was in Williamsville SD) are very good and the whole area is pretty middle and upper middle class. Clarence has also developed a whole lot as well in the past 10 yrs or so.

As a D student I doubt you would want to be live any further out than Amherst (UB N campus).

Anyways, I actually just had my interview for the 3/4 BS/DDS with the dental school on friday. They told me that they had over 3 times the normal number of applicants for this program this year...I'll find out by April 15 if I will have a spot in the class of 2012.

pmoney said:
I grew up in East Amherst. Its definitely a very nice place to live, especially if you have a family. The schools (I was in Williamsville SD) are very good and the whole area is pretty middle and upper middle class. Clarence has also developed a whole lot as well in the past 10 yrs or so.

As a D student I doubt you would want to be live any further out than Amherst (UB N campus).

Anyways, I actually just had my interview for the 3/4 BS/DDS with the dental school on friday. They told me that they had over 3 times the normal number of applicants for this program this year...I'll find out by April 15 if I will have a spot in the class of 2012.

AWW. I hope you make it!!! GOOD LUCK!!

pmoney said:

How many applied/interviewed? I wonder why it is has gotten so popular this year. The year I got accepted (1997), they interviewed 5 for the Canisius/UB program, accepted 3, and 2 of us actually enrolled & finished in 2004. We also had 2 people in my dental class who were in the Lemoyne/UB program, so 4 total in the 3/4 program.

Which undergrad did you apply through? BTW, are you graduating from one of the Williamsville high schools?

Barbara said they had 1200 applicant this year, up 300 from last. I saw some of those dear in headlights interviewees today, thought deadline past already. Can’t believe a year flew by. . Time flies when you’re having fun. You people are making the right choice coming here.

griffin04 said:
How many applied/interviewed? I wonder why it is has gotten so popular this year. The year I got accepted (1997), they interviewed 5 for the Canisius/UB program, accepted 3, and 2 of us actually enrolled & finished in 2004. We also had 2 people in my dental class who were in the Lemoyne/UB program, so 4 total in the 3/4 program.

Which undergrad did you apply through? BTW, are you graduating from one of the Williamsville high schools?

griffin04 said:

Oh boy sorry for not replying right away, I haven't checked up on SDN for almost a month.

I was accepted into the program with SUNY Geneseo.
I really am not sure how many applied or interviewed but on the day I went, I think it was a friday, there were thre other kids my age there. One of them was also considereing Geneseo, I spoke with him a bunch on the mini tour that they gave us (they got some 3rd year out of the lab because his 'patient canceled' -he probably canceled the patient himself that friday afternoon :laugh: ). There were two more, but I didn't speak to them, they came in right about when I was done. I know that there were at least 2 other days for interviews for the 3/4 program. I think around that time, they were mostly done with the regular interviews.

I am sure the program has gotten much more popular just because of the number of schools associated with it now. Canisius, Geneseo, Fredonia, Utica college, Lemoyne, St. Lawrence and even UB (again, they dropped out of the program for the past couple years). I have no idea why this year there would be so many more applicants than last.

Speaking of Canisius, I actually did apply there and got accepted but I liked Geneseo's campus much more and I got to speak with Dr. Joynt and he seemed like a great guy.

No, I didn't graduate from any of the williamsville highschools(though I would have attended Williamsville North), my family moved to ithaca, ny a while back. I am actually about 22 days from being an official Ithaca High School grad. :laugh:

One question for you, at what point did you take your DAT? Did you do it in the winter/spring of your junior year or were you able to take it earlier? I'm sure I'll get all these questions answered later, but I'm wondering because in case you need to retake it, it would make sense to attempt it earlier than in the spring before you start D school.

Oh, and to add on to my last post, I probably should mention that one of my classmates in HS (approx 330 graduating), is also in the 3/4 program, with Fredonia. I have no idea when he interviewed or anything, becuase I just found out recently. I acually shadowed and did some observing at his dad's office...

what is this writing sample you're talking about?

lunguv said:
No you will not be able to prepare for it. To tell you the truth, I SUCK at writing papers. I'm not that bad, but I’m not the most eloquent or flowery writer. My writing sample did not even go well. I ran out of time, and I basically just tried to spell words correctly and to sound somewhat intelligent. I guarantee half of the interviewees had better writing samples than me. I don’t think they place a heavy emphasis on the writing sample, it is mostly to make sure you can write decently, and that your writing is comprehensible. So don’t worry about it too much. The question will be very basic, just organize your thoughts and imprint something coherent on the piece of paper you are given.

bbllplya said:
what is this writing sample you're talking about?

At the Buffalo interview, they give you a prompt and ask you to write a response to it. I think they gave us 15 minutes to respond. It could have been less. It was such a non-issue that I've already forgotten what our prompt was. They change the prompt for each interview date so you really can't prepare. If you check out the interview feedback here on SDN, I bet you that at least one person wrote down what the subject was for his/her interview.

Hope that helps.

ncalcate said:
At the Buffalo interview, they give you a prompt and ask you to write a response to it. I think they gave us 15 minutes to respond. It could have been less. It was such a non-issue that I've already forgotten what our prompt was. They change the prompt for each interview date so you really can't prepare. If you check out the interview feedback here on SDN, I bet you that at least one person wrote down what the subject was for his/her interview.

Hope that helps.

Mine was something like...Write about an experience which made you understand some aspect of dentistry more.

pmoney said:
No, I didn't graduate from any of the williamsville highschools(though I would have attended Williamsville North), my family moved to ithaca, ny a while back. I am actually about 22 days from being an official Ithaca High School grad. :laugh:

WNHS c/o 1997 :eek:

Many of my dental school classmates attended Geneseo and all of them had a very good experience there, so I'm sure you made a good choice.

Check your PM.

griffin04 said:
WNHS c/o 1997 :eek:

Many of my dental school classmates attended Geneseo and all of them had a very good experience there, so I'm sure you made a good choice.

Check your PM.

:eek: Which middle school and elementary did you attend?

I was at dodge and casey before I moved away.

PM replied.

pmoney said:
:eek: Which middle school and elementary did you attend?

I was at dodge and casey before I moved away.

PM replied.

LOL, I didn't move to WNY till high school. My younger brother attended Dodge & Casey, WNHS c/o 2004.

WNY - oh, how I don't miss it at all. :smuggrin:

Lephisto said:
I also went to geneseo...and every new york school I applied to spoke great about it..the dean from stony brook said 'for you guys who don't know geneseo, its the best state school in the new york system...even though all their students go to buffalo instead of stony brook'...buffalo also mentioned that *a lot* of great dentists came out of geneseo...

I honestly find the biology department there to be lacking...The only good professor I can think of is Dr. Odonnel (and fortunately for me, he was the pre dent advisor!)...but the majority of the chemistry department is top notch! either way, you'll love geneseo..especially if your a guy...pretty decent female-male ratio.. have fun there bro.

I have met Dr. O'donnell when I went to visit the college and he seems like a great guy. I loved the campus there and the people seemed pretty friendly. Everyone I know that has gone or whose (insert relation here) goes to geneseo seems to like it a lot.

And the ratio is quite good 2:1 like you pointed out. ;)
I think canisius also had a solid ratio as well, at least that what the tour guide was pointing out. :laugh: