University Of California@san Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

33Tchica

Weara flower in your hair
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I would like to pose a few questions regarding UCSF medical school, in hopes someone may be able to provide some useful answers.

So 1500 lucky souls are asked to submit secondaries to UCSF.

1) How many of the 1500 are from out of state?
2) Is it true, after receiving a secondary, state residency is no longer considered a factor in the admissions process?
3) How do OOS applicants typically fair after submitting a secondary?

I also read that each year the class may include 25-30 OOS students.
4) How many OOS are typically accepted?

5) If you get into UCSF, what would it take to convince you to attend a different medical school?

Thank you very much for your kind responses.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually heard that after getting an interview OOS status is no longer considered but it is a factor for whether you will be offered an interview or not. They interview 500 students/year. I've also heard that it's a 50/50 chance once you get an interview. That makes sense because they will probably admit about 250 to get the class size they need. Now don't quote me on the 250... I really don't know that number for sure and I don't know how big their class size is but that info is pretty easy to obtain. Anyone got that big blue AAMC book and want to look it up? I am an OOS applicant to UCSF and I just got offered an inteview!!! But it literally took 7-8weeks to even cash my secondary check and confirm that my materials were received. After that it was only about a week or so before I got the invitation to interview. But be patient with UCSF- they like to make you wait.

Which is better?

MD in other state or homeless bum in San Francisco?

Members don't see this ad :)
These are the numbers based on the US News website (the AAMC book doesn't say how many people are accepted- they only give the number that actually matriculated):

Total
Applied: 5,591
Interviewed: 558
Accepted: 246
Enrolled: 141

In-state
Applied: 2,952
Interviewed: N/A
Accepted: 180
Enrolled: 119

Out-of-state
Applied: 2,639
Interviewed: N/A
Accepted: 66
Enrolled: 22

According to the dean (the nicest one I've met on my interview trail), OOS only comes into play when deciding who gets a secondary. At that point, they shoot for a ratio of about 60:40 (IS:OOS). After interviewing, UCSF accepts that same ratio of IS/OOS applicants (making no distinction whatsoever), but it just so happens that a lot of OOS applicants will go elsewhere. Apparently east-coasters don't want to leave their beloved cold, gray, dismal weather. In the end, the class works out to about 80% Californians. UCSF is under some pressure to admit California residents, simply because they are a public school, and the state wants more California doctors. But UCSF is the least adherent to this policy out of all the UC schools.

For the record, I'm OOS, I live on the East coast, and I would move to CA in a heartbeat if given the chance. I really liked UCSF. Not sure what's going on with their slow turn-around, but I got the secondary in August, complete by September, offered an interview shortly after that. Hoping to hear something by mid-December. Good luck to everyone!

they don't accept ne1 until Dec. 15th